S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Does more power = greater risk?

Old 06-12-2012, 06:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does more power = greater risk?

I've seen LS swapped S2000, and 2JZ swapped 2Ks but being that these cars slide out pretty easy just wondering at what point is it over kill. I'm pretty satisfied with stock power.. I'd would like a tad more so thinking of going better intake, good headers, cams, and a tune.. wondering if that would get me another 20+hp and few more torques. The thing is I wouldn't do a motor swap because that car was engineered with that motor for best balance and power. Plus its awesome to have a 9K rev'ver. Inputs?
Old 06-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Stock power was fun for a while. I'm sure if it was mostly tracked it would be all I would need to have a lot of fun. But after a year or so of owning it the stock power got really lame and just felt insanely slow.
Even at twice the stock hp being supercharged it does not feel that fast and looking for more.
I'm pretty sure I'd love an LS swapped S2000. Hardly weigh anymore more than the stock engine and would give it some much needed power!
It would be hard losing all the revs though but if making tons more power earlier on I'd take that personally.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is less room for error.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:51 PM

More power is harder on your license as well. My car is turboed at about 450whp. I never drive like an asshat, just like to punch it now and again. Pulled out onto the road about a month ago and accellerated kinda hard up through fourth. I didn't realize I was over 90mph in just a few seconds. Unfortunately for me a state trooper was around the next corner and I spent a night in jail for reckless driving. You get used to more power and you just don't realize how fast your really going. In a NA car you've got to really beat on it. With boost you can achieve insane speed so effortlessly, its freakin awesome. Hard on the license though. The same goes for car control with more power as well. Its damn easy to get yourself in a really bad situation. If I didn't have traction control I would have tossed it in the trees more than once on some of my mountain runs. On the older cars with no aids, it could be very dangerous in the wrong hands. The best mod you can make is in yourself. Maybe do some autocross or Hpde's to get some real instruction and experience the car at the limit in a safer inviroment before cranking the power. Be safe out there, and watch your speed. I would say more power=equals the need for more responsibily. Which is freakin hard when your just dying to unleash the beast.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your equation is wrong. Mo power = Mo fun
Old 06-12-2012, 08:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ-S2000
I'm pretty satisfied with stock power.. I'd would like a tad more so thinking of going better intake, good headers, cams, and a tune.. wondering if that would get me another 20+hp and few more torques. The thing is I wouldn't do a motor swap because that car was engineered with that motor for best balance and power. Plus its awesome to have a 9K rev'ver. Inputs?
there is an easier and faster solutions. Just get ap2 tranny and 4.77 gears.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franky
Originally Posted by AZ-S2000' timestamp='1339554059' post='21777004
I'm pretty satisfied with stock power.. I'd would like a tad more so thinking of going better intake, good headers, cams, and a tune.. wondering if that would get me another 20+hp and few more torques. The thing is I wouldn't do a motor swap because that car was engineered with that motor for best balance and power. Plus its awesome to have a 9K rev'ver. Inputs?
there is an easier and faster solutions. Just get ap2 tranny and 4.77 gears.

^DAMB RIGHT
Old 06-12-2012, 09:37 PM

No...don't need more power

Get on a literbike ie cbr1000 or a zx10r with less power than a stock s2k

Floor and redline the first 3 gears

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

^What does that have to do with anything? Also weigh 1/10th the weight ore the S2000...

AP2 tranny and 4.77's would be extreme overkill!
Old 06-12-2012, 10:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not really if you are looking for torque. Ap2 tranny is stronger than ap1 so why not? Just 4.77 gears is fine but your ap1 tranny will go out eventually, so why not just do yourself a favor and upgrade early. If both are too extreme for you, ap1 diff is cheap, easy and fast to sway out.

Quick Reply: Does more power = greater risk?