S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Do i need to torque bolts for installin coilovers

Old 11-04-2009, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Do i need to torque bolts for installin coilovers

do i have to use a torque wrench for installing coilovers? i dont have one and i wanna install them so bad lol
Old 11-04-2009, 06:50 AM

They really aren't that expensive. If you plan on doing any other work on your car in the future a torque wrench is a good idea.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a torque wrench but stuff outside the range i just rent one from autozone or oreilly's or something...
Old 11-04-2009, 10:01 AM

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

It's a good idea to use a torque wrench when you're dealing with things you don't want to come loose (like suspension parts). Or things where you don't want to mess up threads by over torqueing.

That said, *if* you have a lot of experienced pulling wrenches, you could probably get "close enough" to the recommended torque range. But you would need to check them frequently at first to make sure nothing is backing off. I once neglected to properly tighten a sway bar end link, and it made some pretty unnerving sounds going over bumps.

If you're just pulling the 2 nuts on top of the shock (24#, IIRC), and the bolt at the bottom (higher, but I don't remember the exact number), you might be able to get by without one. If you're going to disconnect the sway bars or the front A arms (recommended by some for easy installation), I'd feel a heck of a lot better using a torque wrench to put everything back together.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:53 AM

a VW dealer fixed up one of my best buds cars sometime back. Had to replace some suspension bits on his mk5 GTi

Except shit kept on clicking while taking a corner at a certain speed and such. Every time it clicked, it would get a little unsettled.

Took the car to my preferred shop, and all of it was because VW hadn't torqued the suspension bolts >_</
Old 11-04-2009, 11:34 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

Have to? No, just make em really tight.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:44 AM

When i upgraded from my previous car I bought myself some nice little tools... if you are doing the suspension yourself then i am guessing you like to work on your car?! or have no money!!

IMO I would get a torque wrench... got to do it properly!!
Old 11-04-2009, 12:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gigdy,Nov 4 2009, 04:34 PM
Have to? No, just make em really tight.
well, not all of them. overtighten the top hat bolts for the front and watch yourself snap them right off.

TQ wrench +helms manual = FTW

its really worth it. last thing you need is to overtighten something and it break, or not tighten something enough and it come loose.

last bit of advice, if you are using air tools, use them to take stuff apart, but put it back together with tq wrench
Old 11-04-2009, 01:13 PM

To be honest, I only use torque wrench when building motor/trans and when tightening axle nut and lug nuts. Otherwise I just guestimate it. I havent had any problems or failures directly related to this.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by EH6TunerDaniel,Nov 4 2009, 10:13 PM
To be honest, I only use torque wrench when building motor/trans and when tightening axle nut and lug nuts. Otherwise I just guestimate it. I havent had any problems or failures directly related to this.
I agree with you as well!! You can tell how much force to put on them... I used to do this all the time.... but have just decided to be 100% safe

Quick Reply: Do i need to torque bolts for installin coilovers