S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

DIY: VIS Mugen Hardtop Install

Old 01-10-2012, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by suzuka-blue-s2k
Originally Posted by dcmonkey' timestamp='1325623372' post='21282369
how are people getting their tops to sit so flush and here can i get window seals for cheap????
Have you tried Spyder562? I havent been on here for a while since my s2k is gone, but that would be your best bet. If he doesnt have them you can call VIS and get them i'd imagine.

Originally Posted by dtkix
hey suzukablues2k, you where I can buy the glass window? I don't really like the feeling of plexiglass
Back when I got mine the vendor had glass back windows, and he got his stuff directly from a VIS warehouse. So you should just call VIS directly and see if they have any glass ones.
yeah ive tried spyder, the price he asks for what the actual material is just doesnt make much sense to me specially since its just 3m back epdm rubber. im not saying hes selling a bad product by no means and hes a cool guy but, imo i just cant justify paying $70 for almost 8ft or epdm rubber even if its the TRIMLOK brand. i was hoping someone had found a way around it, but i guess noone has yet. ive worked with epdm material before but i cant get an answer from the my boss
Old 01-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dcmonkey
how are people getting their tops to sit so flush and here can i get window seals for cheap????
This has also a lot to do with the top you have. I have had a lot of experience with VIS tops in the past and its really a hit or miss game.

Here is a VIS top I sold and installed myself. It fit nearly perfect from the back except from the front right.

My seals will not make your top fit flusher or better because my seals are mainly chosen for my brand of hardtops. My door seals are a bit different just because of the 3M epdm rubber like you said.

VIS uses a 1/2 d shape rear seal which is very big for this hardtop. They do this to hide all the hard tops gaps because a lot of people were complaining. Problem with there fix is it made the hardtops sit high from the back.

I have had a lot of luck with foam like seal they sell at home depot or pepboys. You don't want it to be to spongy but around 1/4. Here is a picture below on how it should be going around the hardtop grove.

Hope this helps

Always welcome to bother me with more PM's.

Alberto
Old 01-11-2012, 05:17 AM

Well this is very interesting , I got the rear bottom seal already, which is exactly what you posted but the side window seals have been a pita to locate
Old 01-11-2012, 05:24 AM

spyder562 - check PM's
Old 05-01-2012, 05:42 PM

quick question on the subject of side window seals, today i was installing my hardtop and i was applying the side window seals and i put mine on the outermost edge of the hardtop, not sure if that is the correct way of putting it on, or is it on the inner most edge (closer to the passenger)? also an fyi for you guys the 3M windo weld paste tube is smaller than most silicon tubes so a standard caulking gun would not do the job, i found this out today.. couldn't install the rear window because i dont have the right size caulking gun. cars still sitting in the garage, since tomorrow is my day off i will hopefully complete the install and have everything ready to go, not driving the S is killing me!!! lol.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by spyder562
Originally Posted by dcmonkey' timestamp='1325623372' post='21282369
This has also a lot to do with the top you have. I have had a lot of experience with VIS tops in the past and its really a hit or miss game.

Here is a VIS top I sold and installed myself. It fit nearly perfect from the back except from the front right.

My seals will not make your top fit flusher or better because my seals are mainly chosen for my brand of hardtops. My door seals are a bit different just because of the 3M epdm rubber like you said.

VIS uses a 1/2 d shape rear seal which is very big for this hardtop. They do this to hide all the hard tops gaps because a lot of people were complaining. Problem with there fix is it made the hardtops sit high from the back.

I have had a lot of luck with foam like seal they sell at home depot or pepboys. You don't want it to be to spongy but around 1/4. Here is a picture below on how it should be going around the hardtop grove.

Hope this helps

Always welcome to bother me with more PM's.

Alberto
i have also noticed this problem, theres this NFR (what a coincidence) at my Uni that has a hardtop but it sits really high up from the back i would say prob 3/4 if not a whole inch off the rear. it doesn't look too good.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:34 PM

Just wondering how you guys got the rear window seal to stay in place? Mine keeps popping off at the corners?
Old 05-30-2012, 07:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe a little heat gun action
Old 05-30-2012, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by dtkix
hey suzukablues2k, you where I can buy the glass window? I don't really like the feeling of plexiglass
Hey do have a real window and seal for the mugen rep hardtop.i already have plexiglass and the seal but the seal it to small and the glass i dont like
It!!plz PM me!! Coz my ryt now dosnt have back window'zz
Old 06-03-2012, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by S2kblack
Originally Posted by dtkix' timestamp='1326184772' post='21302226
Hey do have a real window and seal for the mugen rep hardtop.i already have plexiglass and the seal but the seal it to small and the glass i dont like
It!!plz PM me!! Coz my ryt now dosnt have back window'zz
Dtkix, S2kblack; you guys can get a real tempered glass for the mugen replica hardtop from VIS racing i bought mine about 2 weeks ago, just send them an email at customerservice@visracing.com and ask Fred to give you a quote for tempered glass option. mine was around $360 shipped a bit pricey but i think its worth it, i've yet to install mine but when i do i'll post some pics up in this thread.

Quick Reply: DIY: VIS Mugen Hardtop Install