S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Dash check engine light deleted, help

Old 08-29-2024, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash check engine light deleted, help

So after buying the car I realised that in battery mode CEL does not light up.... Now what do you think was their methode of doing it? I am trying to undo it...

Is there a device that does this?
Bulp pull ?
Wire cut?

What do you guys think?
Old 08-29-2024, 09:02 AM

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,077 Posts

What do you mean by battery mode? Do you mean when turning the key to acc the CEL never comes on at all? If that is the case, only way to know is to pull the cluster and see what they did there.
Old 08-29-2024, 11:39 AM

Received 414 Likes on 379 Posts

Bulb blown as first guess,swap bulbs to check
Old 08-29-2024, 12:28 PM

Received 1,375 Likes on 1,027 Posts

The check engine light should illuminate when the key is put in position 2.

If it does not illuminate in position 2:

Hook up an OBD2 tool to determine whether there are any stored/active codes.

Check the bulb. Is it present and working? This isn't easy because you need to lower the steering column and remove the cluster.

Last edited by B serious; 08-29-2024 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-29-2024, 01:49 PM

Received 414 Likes on 379 Posts

Just removed my cluster,its much easier to undo 2x 12mm bolts as to removing the steering wheel faf
Old 08-29-2024, 06:27 PM

Thank you guys, I checked the codes, it's an oxygen sensor, I think that was their solution for an after market exhaust free of check engine light or simply simply the pulb is out.... Has anyone replaced those bulbs? Size?

I also noticed the engine cut off is at 8k rpm although the cluster redlines at 9k... I assume they put an ap1 cluster in an ap2 car... Does that effect cel in anyway?

Is there a way I can find out the real miles on the car? My launch obd scanner could not. Engine is very powerful, I don't think the difference in miles is huge...

Thanks again, car needs work...
Old 08-29-2024, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by noodels
Bulb blown as first guess,swap bulbs to check
Easier said than done? Well it seems there is no trick to shut down cel, or at least no one has mentioned that.... I guess I will take it to someone that can open the cluster...
Old 08-29-2024, 07:22 PM

Received 1,375 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Lov2bugu
Thank you guys, I checked the codes, it's an oxygen sensor, I think that was their solution for an after market exhaust free of check engine light or simply simply the pulb is out.... Has anyone replaced those bulbs? Size?

I also noticed the engine cut off is at 8k rpm although the cluster redlines at 9k... I assume they put an ap1 cluster in an ap2 car... Does that effect cel in anyway?

Is there a way I can find out the real miles on the car? My launch obd scanner could not. Engine is very powerful, I don't think the difference in miles is huge...

Thanks again, car needs work...
The rev limiter is determined by the ECU. If you have an AP2 ECU, the car will rev to 8200.

If the car still has the original 2.2L engine, you don't want to rev it to 9K anyway.

Someone probably took the CEL bulb out of the cluster to hide the issue. Not sure why they put in the AP1 cluster. Likely to hide the miles?

The miles stay with the cluster. If you want to find the actual miles on the car, you could do a carfax or something.

Where are you located? North America somewhere, I take it?
Old 08-30-2024, 06:01 AM

Received 1,225 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Is there a way I can find out the real miles on the car?
Not sure if the Carfax website can pick up records where you are in the United Arab Emirates but the free MyCarFax dot com site can pick up many records based on the VIN of the car. Give it a try. The required annual Virginia safety inspection I had done yesterday already shows in mine along with records all the way back to when the car was purchased new back in 2006 in Indiana. (I purchased the car in 2014.)

A photo of the instrument panel will help us determine if it's the correct panel for the year of the car.

-- Chuck
Old 08-30-2024, 07:05 AM

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,077 Posts

yeah the mileage is stored in the cluster on many/most cars.

Look at the sticker in the door jamb. It will show the manufacture date. Year models for Honda I believe start on June 1 of the previous year. So, mfg date of June of 2002 would be a 2003 model for example. That should tell you if it is an AP1 or AP2 quickly, but ... engine used does change for some countries so need to know that as well. But in North America, unless it was imported a 2000 - 2003 will be an AP1 and should have an F20c that revs to 9k, lower rev limit and an F22 past that. AGain .. unless they have swapped stuff around.

No, if running a test pipe or something that sets the secondary O2 or cat code, you run spacers (usually made from two spark plug antifoulers) if the test pipe does not have a built in one. There is a never a proper fix that includes removing or disabling the CEL because then you will never see any worse issues.

You mention the Oxygen sensor code... what is the specific code number? There are a few codes relating to the O2 sensor and there is more than one O2 sensor. And some do not mean the O2 sensor is bad, but rather the ECU does not like what the sensor is reading. Code number (P0420, etc) is what is needed here to help diagnose.

Quick Reply: Dash check engine light deleted, help