S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Cusco 4 Point Chromoly Roll Bar Review

Old 03-06-2009, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cusco 4 Point Chromoly Roll Bar Review

Hey guys,

Just recently had my Cusco 4 point roll bar installed with some help from my Honda shop foreman (he's been working on my cars for 6 years) and the product is nothing less than high quality. The package includes all the plates, nuts, bolts, etc and was carefully bubble wrapped to avoid any damage to it during shipping.

The install was a pain in the ass due to the lack of space you have to maneuver your body to remove the rear plastic panels under the convertible top. My advice for you guys is to have a friend live in the trunk of the car for a bit because it'll make your life a lot easier. It took around 6 hours to install which included pizza breaks and my tech had to smoke a couple of cigarettes. The installation of the main roll hoop was fairly easy and straight forward, but the installation of the rear legs were another story. DO NOT BOLT DOWN THE MAIN ROLL HOOP until AFTER you tighten the rear legs first. There is a DIY on this site that specifically mentions that.

Remember that the only reason why I bought this bar is to pass tech inspections for my local HPDE events (which was approved by TrackDaze). If you're doing this for show, then mroe power to you...however you WILL feel a difference in handling.

Impressions:

I'm not going to lie, the anodized blue looks very very good on Rio Yellow. It almost has that yellow/blue Spoon theme going on when you have the top down. Originally I was very reserved about the blue color, but I'm glad that I was too lazy to have it painted because it matches the car very well. It sits flush over the factory roll hoop/trim and the convertible top clears the roll bars by one finger gap.

Driving around, the car definitely feels stiffer...especially the rear. I purposely bought a bigger front bar (only by 2mm difference) to neutralize some of the oversteer feel, but with the roll bar on...the rear definitely became more lively. I love how the car responds and I definitely recommend this mod if you're looking into stiffening the chassis by 4 points.

Also want to thank Hunter @ Bulletproof Automotive for the purchase. Thanks for reading guys.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice review i had the same expierence.... your going to get a ton of flaming because people who don't own or never had a cusco roll cage feel the need to speak.

put some pics up
Old 03-06-2009, 06:53 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Is this roll bar adequate for sanctioned races, NHRA, etc?
Old 03-06-2009, 07:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats the 1 million dollar question
Old 03-06-2009, 07:41 AM

Good rewiew. Similar experience as well. It took me and one other guy around 5 hours. It was hell as far as the rear support bars but well worth it.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:00 AM

how much did i weigh vs the steel one? do you recall?
Old 03-06-2009, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Sideways,Mar 6 2009, 07:53 AM
it's legal for TrackDaze here on the East Coast, I've personally emailed them before I purchased this roll bar.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by street_ruler,Mar 6 2009, 09:00 AM
how much did i weigh vs the steel one? do you recall?
the Safety21 bar weighs a little more since it's solid steel. I don't know the exact weight estimates but the Chromoly is definitely lighter and reinforced, but you pay more for the Chromoly.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:22 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

^Thats very good to know b/c I've been wanting to get my S on the track in the near future and I hear nothing about rollbar rollbar rollbar if I want to get on any track like VIR or summit.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Sideways,Mar 6 2009, 11:53 AM
For most HPDE - yes.

For racing you will probably need a full roll cage.

Quick Reply: Cusco 4 Point Chromoly Roll Bar Review