S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Current AP1 "OEM style" front lip solutions?

Old 11-05-2018, 05:41 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

So looking at the GPW and this Spa, the reasons for paying $800 are very clear.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:47 AM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I have an OEM lip, I can understand the desire as I prefer OEM all the time, but the fact is these are cheap cars, I’m not paying $800 for a plastic lip for my Honda lol. If it was a Porsche maybe, not a Honda. That’s crazy. It just goes back to a bad investment, I could invest the $800 in another one of my ventures.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nfinitecc:
99MCoupe (11-06-2018), JamesD89 (11-12-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 10:36 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Late to the party, just saw this thread.

Is this for the entire front end (bumper included)? Or just the lip on the lower portion of your existing bumper?

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2018, 10:37 AM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
Late to the party, just saw this thread.

Is this for the entire front end (bumper included)? Or just the lip on the lower portion of your existing bumper?

Thanks!
just the lip
Old 11-05-2018, 11:15 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Nfinitecc

just the lip
Ditto, thanks!
Old 11-05-2018, 12:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think there's too much back and fourth on trying to justify the price of a factory body part... if it matters to you and you've got the money, get it if its gonna make you happy. If it's not, don't. I've had replicas and OEM pieces and I see the pros and cons of both. Quit making everyone feel bad about your inability to afford or justify quality purchases. Soon it won't even be about money but availability.

As for OP, I advise you watch some youtube videos on sanding and body-filling. Take your time if you're as detailed as you are precocious with your money. Buy some 400-1500 grits and shape the lip to your liking. That's what I did and it turned out great.

I purchased a replica lip a few years ago. Wasn't a bayson R. Or maybe it was... shoot I don't even remember but the fitment was a 8.5-9/10 for sure. Came in nice box pictured below.

Here's what it looked like when I got it. Pretty rough shape for someone who's detailed but with a little bit of elbow grease it all came together.

Also got my hands on a factory trunk spoiler that I had shot at the same time.

The sanding I mentioned above was critical in smoothing out the little imperfections you saw above, that were part of the lip when it arrived in its raw state. All those raised, sharp edges were flat by the time I was done. I did a lot of the prep work before I turned it over to the painter. Paid 130 or something. Yeah you could do it yourself but I like quality work more than I like saving money so it was worth it for me. I had also already saved a lot of money on labor by learning to do the body work myself so, again. Worth it.

Here's what the two spoilers looked like post-paint. Felt much more rigid. Was even sorta scared of cracking the lip by moving it around too much. Paint match was outstanding.

And the final product below. Not perfect but good enough for me considering that the sheer availability of these lips is basically out of the question. Shop matched it perfectly and I used the factory gasket as well as proper hardware. Hope this gives your some guidance.

The following users liked this post:
99MCoupe (11-06-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 01:39 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I promise you'll never be able to unsee this shit...

Old 11-05-2018, 07:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckoz
​​​​​​you realize that picture was taken at 30ft with a cellphone ay full zoom?

the bottom is just darkness/reflections from being so far from the lens, and the lighting angle.

the top edge is because I can't put on the weatherstripping straight, so I left it until a new roll came in so I can try again. Thanks for calling out my not so steady thumb. Ill still take my $41 vs your $800, because It would likely take me a couple times to get the weather stripping straight on OEM too.

​Here gaze upon my shitty weather stripping job i was planning to redo.​​​​​​

I think it might hang a little low... the white car's lip doesn't quite look like that. I was especially sensitive to this hanging look that I avoided with my replica. But to the untrained eye it looks fine.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:44 PM

Received 646 Likes on 441 Posts

Did a lot of overtime at work last week....and they were actually paying people an incentive to work 7 days a week on top of that so....I ordered 2 OEM lips...

Glutton for punishment...currently en-route....Hopefully I won't need to revisit this. And yes all said and done I spent close to 2 grand for 2 pieces of plastic that probably cost no more than $20 to make.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:18 AM

Received 208 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by S2kys
Did a lot of overtime at work last week....and they were actually paying people an incentive to work 7 days a week on top of that so....I ordered 2 OEM lips...

Glutton for punishment...currently en-route....Hopefully I won't need to revisit this. And yes all said and done I spent close to 2 grand for 2 pieces of plastic that probably cost no more than $20 to make.
But why 2?

Quick Reply: Current AP1 "OEM style" front lip solutions?