S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

cooling plate

Old 07-03-2010, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cooling plate

yeah there is a million treads on cooling plate read them all and i know its mostly a show and no go kind of thing. i used to have a snorkel with my oem air box, and removed the oem cooling plate. but i sold the snorkel and got a aem v2. but i have kept the apr cooling plate (trying to sell it) and just thought its been awhile and no one wants it. currently i have been running without a cooling plate and i also have a vented hood. the cooling plate was designed by honda to keep cool air down near the radiator to help cool it. but i have notice that my car in no hotter or cooler with or with out the cooling plate. so my question is, should i sell the cooling plate or put it back on?

alan.

p.s. again the cooling plate was made to match the snorkel so there is a hole in it. FWIW
Old 07-03-2010, 09:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How thorough of a temperature check do you do?

Also, I would doubt the factory cooling plate is essential, but I suspect that If you were to do intense driving over a long period of time, it could be beneficial.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:13 PM

lol well, that is a good question. i dont actually have a temperature measurement. but i do rely on the temp gauge in the car. i know that is in accurate but never have i seen it half or more than half way before.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:48 PM

anyone?
Old 07-06-2010, 08:29 AM

I was interested in it! My offer still stands!
Old 07-06-2010, 09:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a carbon cooling plate and a vented carbon hood. Well, actually I've got a lot of things on the S, but I've installed them one by one. The good thing about a cooling plate is not to notice a significant reduce of temperature but actually to see how quickly the temperature drops when you don't push the car i.e. on track. I've got a Greddy Intelligent Informeter on the OBDII and I can see the coolant fluid temperature dropping faster.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:37 PM

I was running a Mugen CF air box and the stock cooling plate. Then I got the ASM cooling plate that is cut for the Mugen box. I removed the stock plate so the snorkle could grab a little more fresh air and installed the ASM piece. My coolant temp went up 2 deg celsius at normal operating temps. In my book, the factory piece works very well.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the same setup as yours. Mugen CAI with the ASM CF cooling plate. I have not removed the stock one but I have only cut a small part of it as Mugen's instructions only. Works like a charm.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't speak for the S2000, but I had a Cusco cooling plate on my Evo 8, and took measurements of my water temp before and after using a Defi gauge, and the cooling plate did lower the temperature a few degrees during normal driving.

To answer your question, if I was you and I had a cooling plate already, I'd just keep it. The difference might not be dramatic, but unless you are desperate to sell it for some cash, keep it.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:18 PM

I say sell it to me and get some cash to get yourself something nice over having lower temperature in the engine bay for daily driving. :-)

Quick Reply: cooling plate