S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Comptech intake

Old 11-23-2009, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comptech intake

I have been thinking about getting a Comptech intake but after doing some searching on this forum I noticed that a few people have had issues with installation and fitment. Some say that the top of the intake box hits the hood and gets scratched up. Others have complained about the hood stay holder not working correctly. I'm just wondering if these issues are common only with the older intakes or all of them??? I see plenty of people have them but am just wondering if they had to modify them to make them work.

I like the way this intake looks but don't want to spend that much money on an intake that has fitment issues. Anyway, I know plenty of you guys have these intakes installed. Please tell me all about them!

Background - I currently have a K&N typhoon intake. It works great because it is out of the engine compartment and gets plenty of fresh air since I have the passenger side fake vent cut out. I also like the fact that a larger filter with more surface area can easily be added. What I don't like is the risk of hydra locking. Even with the aqua sock I just don't feel confident in the rain. Even a bypass wouldn't make me feel any better. I have narrowed by decision to the Comptech or the K&N FIPK. I don't like the oem intake box, it just take up too much room in the engine bay for me. I do like the J's style intakes but they require hood cutting (from what I read). I also feel the one with the dual air chamber is just too large. It looks awesome but it's just too big for me. The simpler one that uses the stock intake arm would be great if I could find one that didn't require me to cut the hood...
Old 11-23-2009, 11:14 AM

I have the FIPK, fits fine. I think the most common issue with the Comptech is that the CF panel on top of the airbox will rub the hood. Otherwise, I haven't seen any other fitment complaints.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:10 PM

the problem is people are not pushing down on the box when screwing it in. see the 18th box that starts with the rear mounting bolt

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech/04...take/index.html
Old 11-23-2009, 11:27 PM

you should consider buying a prm intake or K&n fipk also. the prm intake is an easy install and uses the same principle as the comptech intake except the prm has a velocity stack with an aluminum body. Youll definitely enjoy the engine growl above 5k rpms and feel the gains depending on the weather
Old 11-24-2009, 02:18 AM

The problem with the rubbing on the hood is on the stock hood there is a flat plastic button that holds up the hood liner up. Take that off one button off and you'll be fine. Also do as mentioned above and when bolting down the bottom housing of the intake push it down.

As far as the hood prop not working the carbon lid has been redsigned so that no mods are needed to the hood stay. This is the new design. There are a few peopl that have had a slight issue w/ the new design slightly rubbing on the hood stay base when running car full throttle. Since it vibrates it may slightly touch the base and make a buzzing sound. Easy fix is to just file down where it rubs or try to readjust the WHOLE assembly.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by wreck84,Nov 24 2009, 12:27 AM
you should consider buying a prm intake or K&n fipk also. the prm intake is an easy install and uses the same principle as the comptech intake except the prm has a velocity stack with an aluminum body. Youll definitely enjoy the engine growl above 5k rpms and feel the gains depending on the weather
I like the way the PRM looks but the FIPK and Comptech attempt to shield the inlet from the hot engine air. I understand that the PRM will get air from the front fender vent (especially if it is cut out) but there isn't any air flow when standing still. It's going to suck in hot air from the engine bay and maybe just a little cool air from the hole. Obviously this changes a bit once you start moving at which point fresh air should start flowing in and the PRM intake will get mostly cooler air. The FIPK and Comptech on the other hand have shields that attempt to pull in air from the front and side. I think the FIPK and Comptech will still pull in some hot air but not as much as the PRM. That being said, the FIPK, Comptech and PRM will all pull in more hot air them my current K&N Typhoon as it's (as well as other similar CAIs) inlet isn't even located in the engine compartment. Unfortunately while this location is beneficial for getting cooler air it's location exposes it to the elements, mostly rain and road dust. There are air filter covers (I have one installed) and bypass valves to prevent hydra locking but I'd rather go with a more conservative design like the FIPK, Comptech or even the PRM. If the PRM would keep a similar design but add a heat shield just like the FIPK or Comptech I would be all over it...

BTW - How much are the PRMs running now days. I have been seeing the FIPK for around $250 and the Comptech for around $350.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PRMS are around 275 and i am thining about picking one up at the moment myself. i love the design and im am new into the s2000 world. is this a good choice?
Old 11-24-2009, 05:08 PM

Gerry the owner of PRM is great for getting back to customers that have problems
Old 11-24-2009, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by hypforlife32,Nov 24 2009, 05:58 PM
PRMS are around 275 and i am thining about picking one up at the moment myself. i love the design and im am new into the s2000 world. is this a good choice?
In my search for the answer it sounds like the FIPK is the best option for the $. There are nicer looking intakes but this one seems to fit well, looks okay and best of all performs well (K&N has a dyno).

I like the look of the CT more. It looks like it was meant to be there, like the S2000 should have come with it from the factory. It looks the best, fits okay but costs $100+ more then the FIPK. I assume it would perform as well as the FIPK???

The PRM looks great and doesn't seem to have any fitment issues but will suck in more hot air then the CT or FIPK. It costs more then the FIPK but less then the CT. Aside from the heat bog from long stoplights it should perform well once rolling and air is flowing through the engine bay.

Heat soak is real, I had it . That is why I have a typhoon now. Yes, it did fix the heat soak issue but it also sucks water, dust and whatever else it finds 4 inches off the ground. Yes, there is a lot more water and dust at 4 inches then at 10 inches.

I still don't know if I want the FIPK or CT. I am pretty sure it will be one of them though. Sounds like I will enjoy either.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:13 PM

PRM would probably work well with a heatshield like the K&N has.

comptech dyno

K&N FIPK dyno

Quick Reply: Comptech intake