S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

COILOVERS opinions.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COILOVERS opinions.

sorry for the newbie thread. i have an 08 s2k and planning to get new coilovers. i want coilovers for ride height adjustment, smooth ride quality, and better handling than stock. i dont track the car but would want to handle turns with ease. im looking to slam the car and have the flush look. my budget is under a $1000. between the 3, which one would you chose? and why? right now, im torn between the megan street or megan track.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

someone ask me the question when i was thinking to buy the megans, "Why buy the track version when you will never track them?"
Old 05-02-2009, 01:16 PM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

So you want is a coilover that is:
-slammed
-smooth ride quality
-handles better than stock

The product you're looking for doesn't exist. You can't slam a car without significantly reducing supsension travely. That's pretty much guaranteed to keep you from having "smooth ride quality", and probably won't handle as good as stock either.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:16 PM

so im guessing you went with the street version then?
Old 05-02-2009, 01:19 PM

so whats the lowest you can drop the car without sacrificing handling?
Old 05-02-2009, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by stillmelloq,May 2 2009, 01:19 PM
so whats the lowest you can drop the car without sacrificing handling?
the max i would go is 1.5 in but 1 in is good enough for me.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:35 PM

how do you like the megans street?
Old 05-02-2009, 04:15 PM

I recommend espelir ASD springs. Why pay a thousand dollars for something you will never use to its full capability and will cause your car to ride like hell? Besides, no coilover under 1000 dollars is better than shocks and springs on your car now.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:16 PM

From Negcamber

i saw you post about suspensions and your picture...

what you would reco. d2 coilovers or koni/ GC?
Hmmm...I'd stay stock if those were my only 2 choices.

The main thing I would want if spending the money and time to replace my suspension would be shocks that are adjustable for both compression and rebound. Most cheap coilovers are only going to be adjustable for rebound.

The s2k likes a shock with stiffer compression. I had the standard valved konis for about a year...they have very soft compression compared to OEM shocks. They did not work well for me when autoxing. Koni now offers an autox valving that is stiffer than OEM...but I believe you have to send the shocks to them for re-valving, which is extra money and time.

There are two cheap coilovers that I know of that are adjustable for both compression and rebound. Both kinda cheat in the way they adj compression though. Compression and rebound are not independently adjustable on them...with the KW, I can adj each independently with separate knobs.

The two cheap ones are Ksport and BC Suspension.

Ksport is used by the 240sx community quite a bit...they are good entry level adj coilovers for drifters. Ksport now makes several s2k coilovers including a $900 one that is compression/rebount adj. There are some other nice advantages to them...the shock body is height adjustable separate from the spring (that can make the shock last longer). The F/R spring rates are 10k/7k.

The BC Suspension is a fairly new company but they specialize in coilovers only...they are not affiliated with Brian Crower or Crower Cams or Buddy Club etc. Their low end shock is $950 shipped through a group buy (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=604020). They don't have the adj shock body like the Ksports (just height adj with the spring), but they do come with stiffer springs: 12k/10k.

If you want to spend a little more to get a coilover from a well known company, Bilstein makes the PSS9 for our car. They are about $1200 and are also adj for compression and rebound through 1 knob. I know several racers that use them on their daily driver s2ks that they also take to the track. They are a good mix of comfort and performance with German made quality.

Good luck...

Robert
Old 05-02-2009, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by getfighted32,May 2 2009, 04:15 PM
I recommend espelir ASD springs. Why pay a thousand dollars for something you will never use to its full capability and will cause your car to ride like hell? Besides, no coilover under 1000 dollars is better than shocks and springs on your car now.
Have u ever drove an s2000 with coilovers? Sounds like u have no idea what ur talking about! Springs are temporary for these cars, full coilovers on the softest setting will drive like a dream, eventually ur struts are gonna blow out, i been there, theres no point of doing it twice, do it right the first time ans save ur self time! Remember this isnt a civic!

Quick Reply: COILOVERS opinions.