S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Clutch loosing pressure

Old 03-15-2016, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch loosing pressure

Recently when Vtech kicks in, i noticed less pressure to press the clutch pedal then it will go back to normal afterwards. Recently replaced the master clutch cylinder due to dirty fluid, braided clutch line and slave cylinder. I have Stage 1 competition clutch and lightened fly wheel. Bleed the line many time and follow some instructions posted here on line.

Any one has experience this and what might be possible resolution?
Old 03-16-2016, 05:59 AM

I recently did the same. I did not bench bleed the new hydraulics and it caused many issues. It didn't help that I had lost the banjo bolt washers on the clutch line leading to the slave.

I replaced the missing washers, and did a traditional bleed or two (with a buddy pumping the clutch and me opening and closing the bleed valve). It has seemed to fix the issue for the most part.

How much freeplay do you have in your clutch pedal? Whenever I try to introduce any freeplay, the same thing happens. But if I adjust the pedal to remove almost all of the freeplay, the issue goes away and drives normal. Just a little annoying sometimes to have such little freeply.

I'm not sure if having little to no freeplay in the clutch pedal harms anything. Would anyone like to weigh in?
Old 03-16-2016, 06:49 PM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

The clutch does get a little lighter when in VTEC. Oil is shear-thinning, so when you heat it during a spirited drive, it gets a little lighter. But if you're losing a lot of feel, then you have a leak somewhere.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:08 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

The clutch is not in contact with any oil.

This is a pull-type clutch. Its possible that centrifugal force is "helping" pull the leaf springs outward. But there shouldn't be much of that going on.

I would check to see if you have proper freeplay.

You do not need 2 people to bleed a clutch...and the traditional bleed method is very inefficient. Use a bottle bleeder. Make one for like $5 out of an old beverage bottle and a windshield washer hose. Keep it in your garage.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:28 AM

Before my throwout bearing failed, I was experiencing varying clutch pedal feel intermittently. Then one day my throwout bearing split in half at a stop sign.

If everything else is looking good, I would pull the transmission and inspect the throwout bearing.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:49 PM

I have a similar problem but doesn't seem to be any clear answers out there yet! Normal everyday driving no issues, but the moment I decide to push the engine until it hits VTEC, as I shift to the next gear, you can feel that the clutch has lost all pressure and becomes feather light. The loss of pressure to the clutch is immediate, not gradual. If I then coast in neutral and just pump the clutch again and again or when stationary, it firms up again. Or after I go back to normal driving, the clutch pedal firms up after a multiple gear changes. And it's interesting that it ONLY happens when I hit VTEC at high rpms. I can drive for months with zero problem if I rpms don't hit VTEC. Change the CMC? Though I also read in other posts that most S2K CMCs leak and you just need to change the fluid regularly. So what's the issue?!

Last edited by Type-S; 08-20-2019 at 02:47 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:40 AM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

I don't know what the problem is, but I do know its not related to vtec. It is however probably related to higher rpm operation (based on your description of symptoms), which of course overlaps vtec.

In other words, its the rpms, and in this car those rpms pretty much only happen when you're in vtec.

So consider what issues related to high rpm operation might affect things. Saying its vtec related will just send people trying to help you down a Rabbit Hole.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:21 PM

Actually, very good point @Car Analogy as VTEC kicks in around 6,000 RPM? So it is related to full throttle + high rpm, essentially redlining it before changing gears.