S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Clutch issue

Old 03-16-2012, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch issue

Ok so my clutch was goin out. I decided to go with and exedy oem replacement clutch kit and a act prolite flywheel. Did the job with a buddy of mine. Everything went fine car ran great. After the break in period of a 1000 miles on the clutch and flywheel I jump on it. When I would shift close to redline I noticed the clutch being a little gummy( it was sticking to the floor for a split second before poping back up). Checked the clutch fluid it was not low but dirty.. Decided to just replace the clutch master and clutch slave cyclinder and do a transmission fluid change... After driving the car for about a week decided to jump on it again. 1st gear was fine, 2nd was fine but going into 3rd gear the clutch pedal got stuck to the floor and I had to use my foot to pop it back up... Drove it around without jumping on it and it was perfectly fine. Checked the fluids and if their was air in the line by bleeding it again and they both were fine...

Can anyone help me with what is wrong? I am out of ideas and getting frustrated.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:56 PM

A few people had this problem on the forum... not sure if they ever found the problem.. You can try a search here..

heres one:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/895...king-resolved/

-edit- I know there were others though so a more thorough search would probably help
Old 03-16-2012, 06:37 PM

Yeah I have been searching since the first time it happen and can't find anything lol read that post and pretty much did all of that and still have the problem.. Maybe the dealership gave me a bad slave cyclinder.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think it has anything to do with your hydraulics. I have this same issue with my OEM clutch after the dealership rebuilt my transmission. It is caused by the clutch assembly binding on the input shaft, instead of freely sliding back and forth. Mine started doing it about 10K miles after the dealership installed it, and goes through periods of being better and worse. In my case, it causes the clutch pedal to sometimes stick to the floor, but mostly just causes the pedal to be very difficult to push. It actually makes my foot hurt. However, after doing a 2 day track event a couple weeks ago, it seems to have gotten much better. Another temporary solution is to inject grease onto the shaft through the release fork hole.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:20 PM

Ok so yesterday I was driving and all of a sudden I had no clutch. Got the car home and checked it and I blew the seal in my brand new slave cylinder... so I decided to put the old slave on so I have a car to drive around till I get the new one. While bleeding the line I blew the seal on the old slave cylinder... Any idea of what is causing them to go out?
Old 03-29-2012, 07:39 PM

Not sure if this is relevant but recently my clutch went out. I decided to rebuild it. After installing the rebuild CMC the pedal went back to normal operation. Soon after the pedal started to get harder to push the longer I drove the car and it would softened over night. One day it started to get bad enough that it started to slip the clutch, I soon realized that the rebuild CMC was making too much pressure to disengage/engage the clutch that it wouldn't "relieve" it back to the reservoir.

Maybe your CMC isn't working properly and keeps building pressure to the point of expanding the slave seal out of the cylinder ? And the Gummy feeling is air getting into the slave as the CMC pressure is enough to push it enough to get air but not out of place ?

I order a new CMC from dealership and fixed my issue.

Sorry for long post.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:45 PM

Raul - the CMC is brand new, I wouldn't think that there is anything wrong with it. I was thinking maybe there is something wrong with the release fork.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:58 PM

I also thought my issue was the fork so I regressed it as well as the push rod as to this DIY, but still didn't help.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/370...-clutch-pedal/

Give it a try to see it helps.

Or maybe you got that 1 in a million bad brand new clutch?