S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

clutch and flywheel

Old 03-20-2011, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch and flywheel

okay so i have a ap2 with 65k miles and the clutch is slipping pretty bad now and it bothers the hell out of me. i was thinking about getting the SOS clutch and flywheel because ive heard so many good things but its not cheap and i only have i/h/tp/e so i dont really need the extra clamping force of the SOS pressure plate i think. i was thinking about just getting a new factory clutch disk and the SOS flywheel since we all know that the ap2 clutch slip problem is more due to the heavy ass flywheel than other things, plus my disk is worn out. any suggestions?. im also aware of the clutch delay valve, but im hoping it wont be a problem with a light flywheel. so this brings me to another decission.. which flywheel do i get?? i have heard that the 8.5 is too light for daily driven (which mine is) but im not really sure why it wouldnt be wanted for daily driven. the 11.5 sounds good but if idk which flywheel i would be happier with. (ive heard that if you go too light, you could lose momentum and drop rpms in the power band when shifting??? idk)and when i do the install, do i really need to buy a new pilot bearing or is it just an "in case" type of thing? if i can reuse the stock pilot bearing with no worries, i would like to save some money. thank for your input in advance.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I would just get an oem clutch and get an AP1 flywheel and have it resurfaced and call it a day. No need for additional clamping force for NA as you said.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:31 PM

In my AP1 that I used to have I had King motorsports install an oem disk with a mugen pressure plate and a toda 8lb flywheel. Great setup and the mugen pp has higher clamping force.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:01 PM

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

I would put new bearings in. I went with the SOS setup including ULWFW and am happy with it. The light flywheel takes some getting used to, but is worth the trade off.

FYI- the SOS flywheel is just a competition clutch flywheel. It can be found cheaper from other vendors here on the forum.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:06 PM

as far as the pilot bearing goes, if its not making any noise i would just regrease it. most clutch kits include a pilot bearing anyway
Old 03-20-2011, 07:50 PM

any downside to having the ultra light flywheel? i daily my car so what would i have to get used to? sorry, ive never owened a car with a lightened flywheel before so i dont really know what to expect
Old 03-20-2011, 09:12 PM

I personally loved the light flywheel in the AP1, never had any issues concerning daily driving it. I had to replace the flywheel due to damage my factory one couldn't be resurfaced, in the AP1 is almost $500 for a flywheel worth it... thats up to debate. Now I have an AP2 like you which we know has the heavier flywheel and lower revs so I'm inclined to think that the only issue that could come up is the revs falling too fast from a redline shift that you would fall out of vtec.

In my opinion the SOS kit is too expensive, that being said I've never driven a car with it. The mugen pp and oem disk were wonderful on the street very light pedal. I'm pretty sure you can get those parts along with the throw out bearing for around $800
Old 03-20-2011, 09:26 PM

thanks for the info fatfree. ap2 owners with the SOS 8.5 flywheel please chime in!!! will i fall out of vtec during a redline shift??
Old 03-20-2011, 10:28 PM

I'm having king motorsports install the sports clutch with 8.5lb FW tomorrow actually. They also recommended replacing the bearing. I am very excited, there's been quite a bit of excellent feedback regarding the SOS clutch both for it's oem driveability/pedal feel/buzzlessness/and strength. As for the FW, I think that may come down to preference. I spoke with reps at SOS and while they do say the car will accelerate faster it's not like u will need to learn how to shift differently with the ULFW. But this is all talk, I'll find out soon enough what's the truth! Stay tuned for update)