S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Checked Sports shift knob review

Old 09-25-2024, 07:32 AM

Received 1,463 Likes on 1,083 Posts
Default Checked Sports shift knob review

Checked Sports shift knob review-20240925_105416.jpg

This is their Stainless Steel knob. 3.5" tall. 20 oz (567 grams)

SS knob

They also make a shorter version.

This knob has transformed my shifter. I'm using Honda trans fluid, and as it aged, it quickly became nothcy. Unpleasant even. Considered going back to Amsoil.

But this knob has brought it back to life. Shifts are now bolt action smooth.

I needed a knob that lets my hand grasp in more of a handshake position, vs the more overhand one might use with a ball knob. Also use a computer mouse that uses same sideways hand position (Evolution mouse). This due to an ergonomic thing with my anatomy (also can't ride a motorcycle with flat bars).

I also wanted a knob that was tall enough to fit my whole fist. That I wouldn't be grabbing shift boot while gripping knob. At 3.5", this comes as close as I could expect. I also wouldn't mind if it was slightly fatter. But either of those would increase weight, and it doesn't need more of that.

It feels near perfect in hand. I was slightly concerned about the pronounced ridge as it transitions to cone, but can't notice it while gripping.

I think part of the reason it shifts so well is your forearm almost becomes part of the mechanism. Its like delivering a punch more effectively by getting your whole body weight behind it. This grip seems to promote a more effective follow through of your arm motion.

That combined with the hefty weight seems to deliver a brass knuckles blow.

I previously tried an Anvil 2" round stainless knob, a somewhat similar 455 grams, and didn't get the same feel at all. Maybe that is partly due to leverage, as anvil sat quite low. Too low for me, plus it just didn't work trying to use my required handshake grip.

This CS knob is tall. So even though its thread hole is waaay deep, and threads are recessed so it can screw down past bottom threads on shift arm, it still sits taller than stock knob. Not hugely so, but enough that you notice it.

I'm thinking this paired with a short shifter, one of the designs that involves a shorter arm, not merely a raised pivot, could be ideal.

But the trade off of slight extra height isn't much of a drawback for me.

I paired it with this boot spacer as I don't like grabbing boot when I'm reaching for knob. There has to a better way to say that...

boot spacer boot spacer

But outta box spacer bottomed out where our stock shift arm widens out. This would have made knob sit even higher. So I ground a matching concave cone shape into bottom of spacer, so spacer fits down farther on shift arm, now knob can sit nearly as low as with no spacer.

Bottom line, this knob is awesome! Its really made the car so much more enjoyable to drive. So simple, yet one of my best mods!

Last edited by Car Analogy; 09-25-2024 at 12:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cosmomiller (09-25-2024)
Old 09-25-2024, 09:04 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

My 2004 has low miles but the second gear and third gear feeling of notchy/pushback from the syncros is driving me nuts. I changed the fluid to Royal Purple Syncromax but didn't feel much of a change after 400 miles and I decided to just switch it back to the new Honda fluid and still no better. Not sure how a weighted shifter can help, as the stock one is pretty heave compared to other cars I have owned, but I am willing to give it a shot since I have read this same thing in other posts.
Old 09-25-2024, 09:14 AM

I just ordered one, so we will see how it goes! They look great from the pictures if anything.
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (09-26-2024)
Old 09-25-2024, 12:15 PM

I mean, its not going to fix a broken trans obv. But even then, it'd probably mask many issues.

Keep in mind its over 3x the weight of stock knob (which is 179 grams iirc).

Your root issue could be clutch not fully disengaging. Common on our cars.

Fresh hydraulic fluid and a clutch rod adjustment are first steps to address.

Gravity bleed with fresh brake fluid (don't let reservoir run dry!), Then adjust clutch to zero play rod to mc piston (equates to ~1/4" play at pedal, the internal mc play).
Old 09-26-2024, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
I mean, its not going to fix a broken trans obv. But even then, it'd probably mask many issues.

Keep in mind its over 3x the weight of stock knob (which is 179 grams iirc).

Your root issue could be clutch not fully disengaging. Common on our cars.

Fresh hydraulic fluid and a clutch rod adjustment are first steps to address.

Gravity bleed with fresh brake fluid (don't let reservoir run dry!), Then adjust clutch to zero play rod to mc piston (equates to ~1/4" play at pedal, the internal mc play).
Totally agree with you, it won't fix my issues. Once the car is warmed up after about 15 min of driving it mostly goes away, but not entirely. The car had 20,968 on it when I got it, and I have put just over 1k on it in the last 3-4 weeks, that includes the drive back from OK to MO.

Things I have done so far to address it.
Changed the old fluid for Royal Purple Syncromax, then after about 300 miles I just swapped it back to the new Honda fluid.
Adjusted the clutch rod.
Cleaned up and regreased the shifter with the factory Honda grease.
I have not yet changed/bled the fluid with fresh fluid, which I know I need to do since it is 20 years old. So I will try to get that done this weekend to see if it helps.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Last edited by Elscooby; 09-26-2024 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-26-2024, 09:00 AM

Wow, yeah, fluid that old is gonna be totally contaminated and worn out.

Do a gravity bleed until all old fluid is swapped. Start off by siphoning all old fluid from reservoir, wipe inside until clean using lint free cloth.

Pour in fresh fluid, and be obsessive about making sure reservoir never runs dry during bleed.

For adjusting rod, did you go by instructions in diyguys youtube? There should only be 6mm of play at pedal. Any more and you're leaving pedal displacement on the table. Not getting your full action at pressure plate.

Lastly, check clutch pedal height vs spec in manual. Its possible adjusted too low, which would also limit full travel at pp.

All of these things would contribute to not fully disengaging, which would cause notchy shifting.
Old 09-26-2024, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Wow, yeah, fluid that old is gonna be totally contaminated and worn out.

Do a gravity bleed until all old fluid is swapped. Start off by siphoning all old fluid from reservoir, wipe inside until clean using lint free cloth.

Pour in fresh fluid, and be obsessive about making sure reservoir never runs dry during bleed.

For adjusting rod, did you go by instructions in diyguys youtube? There should only be 6mm of play at pedal. Any more and you're leaving pedal displacement on the table. Not getting your full action at pressure plate.

Lastly, check clutch pedal height vs spec in manual. Its possible adjusted too low, which would also limit full travel at pp.

All of these things would contribute to not fully disengaging, which would cause notchy shifting.
I actually watched his video and did the adjustment with that method. I definitely need to do the clutch and brake bleeding this weekend. I have the fluid just sitting there waiting for me to do it. I will look for the clutch pedal height spec in the manual. I will update with how things are afterwards.
And sorry OP for hijacking your thread!
Old 09-30-2024, 12:12 PM

I bled the clutch fluid and holy crap it was so dark and filthy. Clutch pedal seems to be more smooth and consistent, but the shifting had not changed at all. However the shifter did arrive today.
Old 10-01-2024, 06:09 AM

My Checked Sports SS weighted shift knob arrived yesterday. I was really impressed with the fit and finish on the shifter. Looks and feels great. It really did make a difference over the stock weighted shifter. I loved the feel of the shifter while driving last night for almost 2 hours!

Thanks Car Analogy for making this post.
Old 10-01-2024, 10:11 AM

Happy to hear!

Quick Reply: Checked Sports shift knob review