S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

CF hood

Old 09-15-2011, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CF hood

Im in need of a new hood but can't seem to find any info on these type of cf hoods or company. Im looking for any info because I will be looking at it tomorrow and possibly purchasing it. So i am clueless about CF hoods , I've read some threads on CF hoods and how some yellow over time? how do u clear coat a hood? Do you need hoodpins? Thanks guys, I know I can count on u guys for help

Also, does anyone have CF hood from ct sportline? experience? thoughts? concerns?
Old 09-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Most cf hoods are gel coated and some fade or yellow over time. You can take it to a bodyshop to get it clear coated for extra protection. Hood pins are not needed for replica hoods. Is ct sportsline the brand of the hood?
Old 09-15-2011, 08:06 PM

I actually just bought a Carbon Creation A-Spec last friday, but somehow it didnt fit right and i shall get be getting the replacement tomorrow. I will def post pics when i have it on. They seem to be good on customer service and have actually a 1 year warranty that other companiesdont have. This is what i got http://www.extremedimensions.com/12635.html
Old 09-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Former Sponsor

There are a lot of adjustments that can be/need to be mad on an aftermarket CF hood. You first have to center it by adjusting it mounting position where it mounts to the car at each end. You can loosen the two bolts on each side and move the hood slightly left, right, front back etc.

Then there are the 4 rubber bump stops in the engine bay (2 near the shock tower, and 2 on the radiator support) those can be turned up or down as needed if the hood sits too low or sits to high.

Then there is the hood latch itself that can be adjusted lower, or higher as needed to get the hood fitting right.

Most aftermarket hoods will require to adjust one or more of these points to get the perfect fit decent, while other times the hood just is made poorly.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow_S2K
Most cf hoods are gel coated and some fade or yellow over time. You can take it to a bodyshop to get it clear coated for extra protection. Hood pins are not needed for replica hoods. Is ct sportsline the brand of the hood?
Yeah, I was worried about yellowing/fading over time. Dude thanks for letting me know what getting a clear coat actually was. Actually the name of the brand is Tc sportline, I made an error earlier. Thanks for your imput bro

Originally Posted by the_KiLLaBEE
I actually just bought a Carbon Creation A-Spec last friday, but somehow it didnt fit right and i shall get be getting the replacement tomorrow. I will def post pics when i have it on. They seem to be good on customer service and have actually a 1 year warranty that other companiesdont have. This is what i got http://www.extremedimensions.com/12635.html
Nice bro! Seems like we share the same excitement for a new mod/ cf hood
You have to post up pics as soon you throw it on!!!

There are a lot of adjustments that can be/need to be mad on an aftermarket CF hood. You first have to center it by adjusting it mounting position where it mounts to the car at each end. You can loosen the two bolts on each side and move the hood slightly left, right, front back etc.

Then there are the 4 rubber bump stops in the engine bay (2 near the shock tower, and 2 on the radiator support) those can be turned up or down as needed if the hood sits too low or sits to high.

Then there is the hood latch itself that can be adjusted lower, or higher as needed to get the hood fitting right.

Most aftermarket hoods will require to adjust one or more of these points to get the perfect fit decent, while other times the hood just is made poorly.

Dude this sounds intense lol any DIYs on this?
Would recommend a shop to do the fitting?
Old 09-15-2011, 11:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Adjusting the hood is not hard, just a bit time consuming if you want to get it perfect. Sometimes if you just slap it on it can fit pretty good. But sometimes it will require you to play around with it to get it to get just right. If you really don't feel you have the ability or time to do this, a body shop will be able to do it for you, maybe if you decide to get your hood clear coated you can ask them to install it and align it for you.

I have used VIS products before and they have never faded or yellowed. But I have seen other hoods fade, oxidize, and even start to peal. It will also depend on where you live, if you park outdoors often and have it exposed to sun etc. you will be more prone to have it fade or oxidize and spending a bit of money to get it clear coated might be a good idea. If your car is a weekend driver, or if you garage it you might be ok.

I've never heard of that brand before so I won't be able to comment on the fitment.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:15 AM

Adjusting the hood is not hard, just a bit time consuming if you want to get it perfect. Sometimes if you just slap it on it can fit pretty good. But sometimes it will require you to play around with it to get it to get just right. If you really don't feel you have the ability or time to do this, a body shop will be able to do it for you, maybe if you decide to get your hood clear coated you can ask them to install it and align it for you.

I have used VIS products before and they have never faded or yellowed. But I have seen other hoods fade, oxidize, and even start to peal. It will also depend on where you live, if you park outdoors often and have it exposed to sun etc. you will be more prone to have it fade or oxidize and spending a bit of money to get it clear coated might be a good idea. If your car is a weekend driver, or if you garage it you might be ok.

I've never heard of that brand before so I won't be able to comment on the fitment.

Nice! thanks bro for your imput. Im thinking about going it alone, i just need to find the time

http://www.tcsportline.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=75

Here's a link that I found about the Cf hoods
Anybody have any feed back on this cf hood or company?!?!
Old 09-16-2011, 01:13 PM

The list prices on esxtremedimensions site are not what you can get them at. I got my aspec way cheaper thatn pice there. Since you want an OEM CF one, it should be even cheaper. Hit them up.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:54 PM

I got my Vis CF Hood just this week, from what Ive heard and
Why I chose them is because it's just perfect.

so shadow, I hope your right. Will get back to with pictures
Old 09-17-2011, 12:22 PM

I bought a seibon MG cf hood over two years ago and still is holding up.

First off when i got put it right on and needed to be adjusted it would sit perfectly flush on the right but then have a decent size gap on the left so i had to adjust it to center the hood wasn't to bad took less than 30mins just a matter of loosening, adjusting, and retighten.

As far as product durability, i'd say it's taken a good beaten especially from the sun. I live in SoCal so the sun is always out and couldn't park in the shade at times. Hood never cracked it has yellowed a bit, but nothing to bad. It has started to oxidize on the some of edges of the hood, but keep in mind when going with a CF it's good to put on a protective wax nothing more than a good bottle of protective wax and a micro cloth. Just take care of it, it'll last you more than your money's worth in the long run.

Planning on painting it soon and leave the vents unpainted to see the carbon fiber!

Quick Reply: CF hood