S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Carbon Fiber Parts

Old 08-03-2009, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carbon Fiber Parts

Guys Ive been reading up on the Seibon Carbon Fiber hoods and Trunks and everyone seems to say that they are hit and miss.

My question about the Hoods is...How much weight is really saved? Im planning on buying the OEM style and then color matching to my oem color. Im looking for the weight saving of the hood not just looks.

What is the bad thing that goes wrong with the trunks? Ive read during my search is that something bad happens on some of these trunks? What is it?

Last question is about carbon fiber fenders is can the seibon ones fit the stock side markers. If not what other brand will fit them (hopefully some that aren't 2000)

All of these items are going to go on my 2008 S2000 thanks for all the help.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

unless you go with a real dry carbon hood, there's actually more weight if you go with cf hood. and don't be fool by seller selling a matt clearcoated cf overwrap FRP hood for dry carbon. it might look the same to untrained eye but they don't have the same strength or weight saving of a real dry carbon part.

i had a seibon trunk, it was the worst fitting trunk ever, gaps here and there, the curve of the trunk doesn't even match the contour of the line. That's the thing about cheap/low end carbonfiber overlay FRP part, there's some good badge and there's some bad badge.

on the other hand my vis hood fits almost oem like, with exception to a wider gap for one side.

the trunk you can save a few pound vs the mild steel oem unit, the hood, not so much
Old 08-03-2009, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iam7head,Aug 3 2009, 07:22 PM
unless you go with a real dry carbon hood, there's actually more weight if you go with cf hood. and don't be fool by seller selling a matt clearcoated cf overwrap FRP hood for dry carbon. it might look the same to untrained eye but they don't have the same strength or weight saving of a real dry carbon part.

i had a seibon trunk, it was the worst fitting trunk ever, gaps here and there, the curve of the trunk doesn't even match the contour of the line. That's the thing about cheap/low end carbonfiber overlay FRP part, there's some good badge and there's some bad badge.

on the other hand my vis hood fits almost oem like, with exception to a wider gap for one side.

the trunk you can save a few pound vs the mild steel oem unit, the hood, not so much
So the cheaper Seibon parts are just an over lay? Because I did see that Seibon had two oem hoods and only one had a weight.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not just Seibon, pretty much the majority of CF parts (even some dry CF parts) are only carbon on the outer most (visible) layer and reinforced by multiple layers of fiberglass behind it.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by donaldmejr,Aug 3 2009, 07:32 PM
So the cheaper Seibon parts are just an over lay? Because I did see that Seibon had two oem hoods and only one had a weight.
cheaper part in general are not fully carbon fiber, they over lay it on just for look, the structural strength often have no impact with the added layer, they do it so people will buy it.

nothing wrong with that, you don't need a 3k trunk for going to church on sunday but just letting you know the difference.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Strange, not all seibon parts are fiber glass cores, mine cracked in half from a rock and was carbon all the way through.

To put things in perspective as far as a hood is concerned, even a "dry" carbon hood will only save you ~7lbs. Our stock aluminum hood is very light to begin with.

Do carbon for the looks, not for the weight savings. You are not rich enough for the carbon to make a difference if you are asking, looks matter too so just enjoy your car and do what you like.