S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

carbon fiber painting

Old 01-21-2008, 11:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default carbon fiber painting

not sure if this is a dumb question or not but how come you never see painted carbon fiber hoods and such? (or maybe i do, just dont know it?) i know its possible to paint carbon fiber, is there like a special way you have to do it? or do you just, primer and paint?

the reason i ask is because im looking into the mugen CF hood but i want to keep my car look nice and clean and the CF hoods in my opinion look a little tacky, but i like the look of the hood

also one day i saw this honda prelude with a carbon fiber hood and one side was all smeared and messed up, my friend suggested that they had tried to wax there hood and it got all jacked up, would that cause a smeared carbon fiber look to the hood?
Old 01-21-2008, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im no painter but I am pretty sure they don't prime it, but more so prep it for paint. They have to scuff up the surface of the hood so the paint adheres well.

CF is a material... you cant smear it. He may have messed up his clear making his hood look that way.

And a lot of cf is painted. If you look very very close on some you can see the checkered look that the cf has.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 3vilmonkey!,Jan 22 2008, 12:05 AM
Im no painter but I am pretty sure they don't prime it, but more so prep it for paint. They have to scuff up the surface of the hood so the paint adheres well.

CF is a material... you cant smear it. He may have messed up his clear making his hood look that way.

And a lot of cf is painted. If you look very very close on some you can see the checkered look that the cf has.
huh?

you can paint cf just like resin fiber reinforced part out there.

first you cross sand it for good mechanical grip(mostly it will come with some gel coat), primer, sealer, paint, clear(or god forbid SS)

once the resin is set you can't really smear anything, not sure what are you trying to say. there most likely to have a gelcoat on it.

it shouldn't cost more to paint a cf hood than a stock metal hood, unless you have a low quality hood with alot of high/low spot to fill it and sand.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by liquid_helix136,Jan 22 2008, 12:01 AM
not sure if this is a dumb question or not but how come you never see painted carbon fiber hoods and such? (or maybe i do, just dont know it?) i know its possible to paint carbon fiber, is there like a special way you have to do it? or do you just, primer and paint?

the reason i ask is because im looking into the mugen CF hood but i want to keep my car look nice and clean and the CF hoods in my opinion look a little tacky, but i like the look of the hood

also one day i saw this honda prelude with a carbon fiber hood and one side was all smeared and messed up, my friend suggested that they had tried to wax there hood and it got all jacked up, would that cause a smeared carbon fiber look to the hood?
that's probably from the gelcoat, most of the cheap hood got some sh0tty gelcoat that is no where near the quality of a proper clearcoat.

some polish/wax can make it worst, there's some way to save it but it doesn't work all the time(pm me if you need the exact formula)
Old 01-23-2008, 04:57 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

i had a cf hood on my DC5 and i painted the sides leaving the middle cf, when i picked up the car from my friend after he painted it he told me that it was a bitch to get it perfect cause there were alot of "pin holes", he put about 4 layers of paint and 5 layers or clear on it to get it perfect,
Old 01-23-2008, 05:18 PM

Are you planning on buying a genuine Mugen hood or a knock off?
Old 01-23-2008, 10:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

genuine, bought knock off front spoilers and they dont fit right, not gonna buy knock off anything again
Old 01-24-2008, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by eCrS2k,Jan 23 2008, 05:57 PM
i had a cf hood on my DC5 and i painted the sides leaving the middle cf, when i picked up the car from my friend after he painted it he told me that it was a bitch to get it perfect cause there were alot of "pin holes", he put about 4 layers of paint and 5 layers or clear on it to get it perfect,
go to the other shop, they have pin hole because they did not do a skim coat/guide coat for the resin.

it's very common for cheaper cf/fg product to have pinholes, it's a easy fix before paint.

i doubt they lay down that much paint on it
Old 01-24-2008, 06:55 AM

Just got my seibon cf hood partially painted with car. Turned out fine.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:39 AM

I painted a cf hood for one of my buddies and I approached it like any metal/fiberglass panel, like iam7head said. The whole hood was wet sanded, then I laid color, then clear; no special additives, same paint mix as the rest of the car. After everything cured, I wetsanded the entire hood and buffed it.