S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Carbon Fiber Hardtop or Fiberglass Hardtop?!?

Old 11-08-2009 | 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by S2000PhotoGirl,Nov 4 2009, 02:57 PM
Here is one that I found and it seems to be painted, but it says, "for a track look". I have BB. I wonder if they would match well together of if I will need to get it repainted myself (which I want to avoid).

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=5262807#
Do not buy from that place, go through -GunShow- The top itself might fit, but the paint and prep is a poor representation of quality. Unless you are buying a painted top from a private seller with a good rep, I would really recommend a unfinished FRP then getting in finished locally.

Also, do not buy their hardware kit, seals, and window. I will send the ones they sent me for free to anyone. The postage to ship would be worth more than the crap they sling. If anyone wants pictures of their secret hardware, let me know. It is nothing but $10 in parts.

My recommendation on replica's, if you are going to do it buy just the top itself. From there source your own rear window, get OEM latches or something like the Izzy mounts and buy the OEM window seals and top seal. Then you will have a decent top.

For all the hassle I have gone through just getting the top, getting it painted, getting the crap hardware sent out, tracking down latches, I probably would have spent the extra to get a item ready to go right out of the box.

The fitment and quality of the VIS top is fine, aside from the 1/8" flimsy plexi window, I have no issues there. All my problems have been with people being flakes, and not following through on their word.
Old 11-09-2009 | 02:46 AM
xoz

Originally Posted by my_slow_2k,Nov 9 2009, 02:40 AM
Also, do not buy their hardware kit, seals, and window. I will send the ones they sent me for free to anyone. The postage to ship would be worth more than the crap they sling. If anyone wants pictures of their secret hardware, let me know. It is nothing but $10 in parts.

My recommendation on replica's, if you are going to do it buy just the top itself. From there source your own rear window, get OEM latches or something like the Izzy mounts and buy the OEM window seals and top seal. Then you will have a decent top.
I agree totally on what has be quoted, I did my Mugen Replica Carbon Fibre Ht with OEM front and rear gear as well, only thing is that I did manage to put window seals, rear base seal, and 6mm tinted Lexan rear/seal window together locally, at about half the cost and much, much better quality, not taking into consideration shipping to Australia. Everything has turned out quite well.

It was through reading threads like this, that I learnt to stay clear of the Hardwares kits that are around for sale. Even their pics shows the poor quality for far too much $'s for these aftermarket kits. I can pull a kit together for around usd$407.00 total excl OEM gear and excl shipping. I can individually put the pieces together as well.
Source out from others that have had to spend more time, effort and $ to get better fitment quality. Feel free to pm me if you go down the same path as I and many others have.

btw I got Carbon Fiber replica because it was a good price, my research at the time to get an authentic Mugen carbon or fiber glass out of Japan, was a 3 mth wait time plus shipping was uncertain and a non committal price all this was a too high risk for me to commit to.
I just have to see how the quality of the replica lasts now, but my backup is to paint if the quality
ends up dud. I have also read that the real deal Mugen can have problems as well, so go figure.
I also spent weeks with VIS emailing them back and forth, basically they wouldn't ship internationally, so I dumped them and ended up by referral from another member here in Australia with a vendor that got the mugen style carbon fibre HT's in from the same factory that makes Seibon mugen replica's. (so we were told) but I have a sneaky suspicion that they were made in China.

Costs for me, I would say are equivalent to a Mugen fiber glass (stiil need to paint) except I have the Carbon (no need to paint so far...fingers crossed)

You guys in the states I would say can get a Mugen original a lot easier than us over here.
also bear in mind authentic Mugen comes with everything OEM mounts, window and seals included, so a lot of the costs are in the OEM gear.
Old 11-09-2009 | 03:29 AM
xoz

FYI as well, Carbon fiber replica mugen is Fiber glass inner shell with Carbon outer shell. Authentic Mugen is Carbon fiber inner and outer shells. From what I am also told is that authentic Mugen carbon fiber is superior grade to the replica's carbon fibre grade. Looks same but isn't apparently, I haven't had the good fortune either at seeing a real Mugen in person and incidently when I ordered mine I had never seen an OEM or replica HT in person. Was all via pics on the internet.
Any ways here are some pics of mine, that may help you and others decide.

Name:  P1020855.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  6.9 KB

Name:  P1020704.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  109.9 KB
Old 11-09-2009 | 03:45 AM
xoz

Before someone asks, and sorry if I seem to be "giving too much ramble info" but you'll notice that my rear window seal is different to the other Mugen styles as this was the best solution for me here in Australia. But we have managed to do a seal similar to Mugen, more for the race pressures that the roof will be subject to. Mine is purely applicably for street life, as I never intend to track my car. In short my rear window does not have to be glued in and therefore is less messy in the install. The race version is only 3mm Lexan and is glued in place. Both have their own merits so to speak.
Old 11-09-2009 | 08:29 AM

[QUOTE=Rubn1out4GudLuk,Nov 7 2009, 03:35 PM] ^^
Old 11-09-2009 | 02:45 PM

There are some truths to what you say UGOTSTaBtrippin. genuine is always better if you can afford it. if a person buys replica parts and their happy with it, thats all that matters. i personally would love to have a original mugen cf top, but i can't afford 5gs. so i went replica. but i did spend the bucks for oem latches. i actually wanted a frp ht. but i got a good deal on a cf ht. like any after market parts for our cars, sometimes quality can be hit or miss, especially with body kits! but as said, you do have some good points about replica vs original.