S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Can you put AP2 Front bumper on AP1

Old 07-11-2011, 09:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can you put AP2 Front bumper on AP1

I recently had a front end accident causing my front bumper to get a gash in it. I need a new front bumper on my AP1 year 2000. I was wondering if an AP2 front bumper would work with the stock AP1 head lamps. I like the look of the AP2 bumper better. I know that I may need to redrill some holes in the fender liners, but wondering about the rest of the matching.

Please let me know if you can if anyone has done it. Again, using stock AP1 headlights with an AP2 front bumper.

Thank you to everyone that helps me on this.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need to learn how to "search"
yes you can use the ap2 bumper on the ap1

search for threads regarding this, cause u are going to need to shave the front bar to stop
the bumper from getting dimples.

i have the ap2 bumper on my ap1
Old 07-11-2011, 10:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it will fit fine, the headlights and everything are the exact same shape so don't worry about that. You will have to trim the corners off of the metal crash bar behind the bumper though. If you don't the bar will touch the bumper there and over time will cause spider cracks in your paint. So it's best to just trim the edges of the bar and it will go on no problem. Also the splash shields underneith are a tad bit different, you should be able to get most of the bolts in, and the ones you can't get (since they won't line up 100%) just use some zip ties and it will be fine.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:33 AM

Sorry guys, I did do a search, but I'm at work and the only time I've been having to come on and post. I searched for a couple min and didnt come across anything, granted I still suck at searching on this forum. I really appreciate the help big time. Are there any diy's on how to remove and replace the bumper. I know I can figure it out easy, but I always like something to double check myself.

What if I put the AP2 reinforcement bar in instead of shaving? Thats if I have damage to the existing one. Reason I say, if I were to get into an accident and they look and see its shaved.. you can get in some serious shit for altering safty features. Would mean I have to pay for the accident I was in and for the other persons car if it was my fault
Old 07-11-2011, 03:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know the search here sucks, that's why i'm giving you all of this info. It's a very commonly asked question but it's not a big deal, there are some modifications you have to do to properly fit the ap2 bumper on so it's good you asked.

Honestly I don't think it's going to make a difference man. What is anyone going to do even if they knew if the very corners of the bar were shaved or grinded down some? If you completely removed it, that may be different but grinding or cutting the very corners off isn't going to make any difference. You can get the ap2 crash bar, but that may be hard to find and will probably end up spending ~$100 for something you didn't need. Plus if your ever in an accident, I don't think they are going to be looking at the very very corners of your crash bar and having them trimmed isn't going to make any difference on who caused an accident, and it doesnt affect anyones safety so it's not a big deal.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:04 PM

Received 64 Likes on 25 Posts

i just took an angle grinder to my crash bar. It wasn't worth it for me to buy an ap2 crash bar since i only drive my car 2-3k a year
Old 07-11-2011, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The same thing happened to me I just dropped the car off at the shop to get the facelift as I call it lol......I told the bodyshop to shave the corrners and patch the holes so well see how it turns out, these cars are cursed because this is 2 weeks after my door was backed into. Im just waiting for the third accident. Goodluck I would deffinatly go ap2 the bumpers from honda are the same exact price so you shouldnt have a big deal paying out of pocket.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamba6
Sorry guys, I did do a search, but I'm at work and the only time I've been having to come on and post. I searched for a couple min and didnt come across anything, granted I still suck at searching on this forum. I really appreciate the help big time. Are there any diy's on how to remove and replace the bumper. I know I can figure it out easy, but I always like something to double check myself.

What if I put the AP2 reinforcement bar in instead of shaving? Thats if I have damage to the existing one. Reason I say, if I were to get into an accident and they look and see its shaved.. you can get in some serious shit for altering safty features. Would mean I have to pay for the accident I was in and for the other persons car if it was my fault

I agree with you and I was wondering the same thing on the past, in buying the reinforcement ap2 bar and not shaving the ap1 bar. I haven't had any accident on my car but I'm OCD about it. I don't like to cut nor having short cuts to fit parts on my car.

So I will love to know if this is possible to do (ap2 reinsforsment bar to ap1)

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2011, 05:33 AM
Community Organizer
Community OrganizerMember (Premium)

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

i wish i put an ap2 bumper on my ap1, regrets...i will be doing it this winter though
Old 07-12-2011, 06:59 AM

Through honda itself. the bumpers go for I think it was $340. I am going to take a look online and see if I can find an OEM AP2 bumper for less. I'm hoping that there is no other damage as I see a minor gap between the passenger head lamp and the fender, also some very very minor gap between the hood and the fender compared to the other side. I'm hoping that this is caused by stress from the bumper pushing into the fender or areas of bolting.

Quick Reply: Can you put AP2 Front bumper on AP1