S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

CAI decision making

Old 04-07-2011, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI decision making

here is my choices:

1.AEM V2

2.K&N FIPK

3.COMPTECH ice box

how do they fit?

do i need to take off front bumper or cut holes to install AEM V2?

Is K&N sound louder than those other 2?

IMO, CT ice box is better looking, but about $140 more than the other 2(the lowest price i found is $365), any way i can find a lower price for that?
Old 04-07-2011, 04:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My vote will always go to K&N for most bang for buck, PWJDM for best gains.

The comptech and K&N are short-ram-air types of intakes, not cold air intakes.

There's not really a legitimate benefit to running a CAI on our cars (since we have a ram air effect); especially when considering the possible consequences of a CAI.

In short, buy the K&N - you'll get the most for your money with zero headaches.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^I agree and disagree.

K&N for the best bang for the buck, I love mine.

A CAI should show big midrange gains with tuning, due to the resonance of the longer pipe. Legitimate enough?
Old 04-07-2011, 04:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by H22toF20
^I agree and disagree.

K&N for the best bang for the buck, I love mine.

A CAI should show big midrange gains with tuning, due to the resonance of the longer pipe. Legitimate enough?
I've never once seen any proof that there is a legitimate difference between the K&N and the AEM that didn't fall within a tolerant range of variation, and/or a difference that warranted a justification to the risk of hydrolock. If you're talking about a hp or 2, maybe... but that could be ambient air, or density of the air as well.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stay away from CAI if you are daily driving your car and have alot of rain, i hydrolocked the car and needed to replace the engine, if i were to do it again i'd just go with Comptech intake because it looks great and has very similar gains to the K/N although K/N is probably the most known intake for the S

But as far as performance goes CAI is most likely your best bet, most air, and reduction of heat soak.

I think the COmptech is a really nice addition because not only will it give u a little gain, and noise, but further down the line if your looking to spice up your engine bay, its a great addition.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:07 PM

Received 247 Likes on 176 Posts

If you don't have to get one right now I would wait and see if this one works as advertised.
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/835...-italy-13-whp/
If it gets only 10 h.p. not the 13 h.p. that Gramigno says it makes, it would still be the best intake for the "S".
I would also be surprised if someone is not trying to copy it form the pic's here in the States.

ROD
Old 04-07-2011, 06:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i got the aem v2 and you do need to take off the bumper,
but IMO i think its best bang for your buck

it takes a bit to install but its worth it in the end,
and the engine gets cooled because of the vent and theres no air box blocking air.

and the topic of hydro locking the car....
i made a sheild for it and theres one in the forms, i used a flower pot by cutting it

if your driving in rain you wont hydolock your engine, i assure you.
even if you hit a puddle BIG enough you would have to be going full throttle to suck up enough water
to make it up to the engine and lock it,

hydro lock happens when the car is parked and water falls into filer and builds up,
but aem thought of this and there is a drain plug.

everytime it rains i just unplug it to see if there is any water in the pipe, which there never is because of my sheild.

if water builds up enough, it will get sucked up into the engine because of the instant 2k cold start

link to the sheild
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/432...1#entry8893548

oh and btw im sorry i didnt add this
aem is the loudest IMO and most agressive, and its very good if its hot out
for heat soaked, mostly in traffic

so i got mine used for 100 but it was just the piping and i had to get everything else.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use to run the AEM v2. It sounded amazing at full throttle. It felt strong top end as well. Installation wasn't that bad, but minor cutting is needed. The only thing that I didn't like about it is when you open the hood the engine looks really empty. I'm currently running the Comptech Intake, it feels strong midrange wise. I really like how it looks. Installation is very easy. No cutting/trimming required.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by whiteflash
I've never once seen any proof that there is a legitimate difference between the K&N and the AEM that didn't fall within a tolerant range of variation, and/or a difference that warranted a justification to the risk of hydrolock. If you're talking about a hp or 2, maybe... but that could be ambient air, or density of the air as well.
SRI vs CAI on an H22 and another on an H23VTEC
http://www.bbmoto.net/wiki/index.php?title=Vtec_Tuning

I would imagine the gains would be similar for the F22. Yes I'm a hypocrite, sense I have the FIPK. I'm not sure if the length from the CAI would like 9000 RPM's.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:08 PM

don't get a CAI, use to have that, hydrolocked, went to FIPK, then finally stopped wasting money on no power mods and went turbo

Quick Reply: CAI decision making