S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Brakes

Old 10-08-2008, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes

I am about to purchase new rotors, pads, and lines for both the fronts and rears. I am looking for recommendations on what to get for hard street use. I say "hard street use" becuase I tend to brake late/hard, it's a bad habit

-For the pads I plan on using AP1 pads again since they perform well and create minimal brake dust. If there are pads that perform better with the same amount of brake dust or less that would be awesome

-For the rotors I will get slotted rotors. My current rotors are warped and need new ones (i've been told they are warped and sometimes I can feel a slight vibration when braking). There are soooo many brands out there and I don't know which one to get. I don't expect you guys to look at all the links and give me a write up, but they are just an example of how man different rotors are available and how the heck do I know which one to get?
How are these SP and power slot rotors? https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=598503
How are these StopTech rotors? https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=630872
How are these FIRST F1 rotors? https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=620630
If you read the description on the F1 race rotors they sound really nice, but what the heck does chamferred mean? I just want slotted rotors that are lighter and stronger than oem rotors. Also, they should not warp as easy as my oem rotors.

-For lines, which ones should I get? The StopTech, Gruppe-S, Russell, or GoodRidge?

My assumption for all of this is that all of these products are VERY similar in terms of quality and performance. It's just a matter of cost, correct?
My goal is to get products that are better than OEM. The lines will be better than oem in all cases. But what about the rotors?
Old 10-08-2008, 03:17 PM

for lines, I picked up brand new goodridge lines on ebay for $96.

chamfering is a method of rounding out holes that are cut, is my best explanation....it's done for strength.

Stoptech rotors are good. Trust me, when you say you brake late on the street, you're not braking late like is done in autocross or road racing, lol.

Aside from that, you should break that habit.....because it'll lead to you rear-ending someone sooner or later.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My goal is to get products that are better than OEM.
can't beat oem. if anything, i would upgrade brake pads and fluids. everything else i would leave stock.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:53 PM

haha....can't beat OEM?
I beg to differ.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:00 PM

you beg wrong.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tekstar,Oct 8 2008, 09:00 PM
you beg wrong.
x2. OEM setup is awesome. The only thing I did was change out the fluid to ATE Super Blue after seeing OEM fluid boil at the dragon.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:15 PM

there are many better options for pads than OEM.

Changing out oem fluid because it boils?

Stainless lines?

doesn't sound like an OEM setup to me if you make any changes to it.

there are ALWAYS ways to improve things.

Or, we can go out to your local road race course, you with your stock brakes, and I with upgraded pads, lines, and fluid, and we'll see who does better, can brake later and harder, and who'll be out more than 5 laps because the fluid didn't boil
Old 10-08-2008, 06:20 PM

did you see my post? i said i would upgrade pads and fluids

but you can have your lines that's fine with me
Old 10-08-2008, 08:35 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

whats pads would u recommend for mainly street But driven hard and Also the car is FI'ed and autocrossed.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by chimmike,Oct 8 2008, 06:17 PM
for lines, I picked up brand new goodridge lines on ebay for $96.

chamfering is a method of rounding out holes that are cut, is my best explanation....it's done for strength.

Stoptech rotors are good. Trust me, when you say you brake late on the street, you're not braking late like is done in autocross or road racing, lol.

Aside from that, you should break that habit.....because it'll lead to you rear-ending someone sooner or later.
thanks for the info. I was thinking about either the stoptech rotors or First F1 "race" rotors. still trying to figure out which one is better

Yea, I do not brake late compared to actual road racing, but definitely later than the avg driver. Thats what I meant.
I am trying to be better about my driving habits, but it is tough.

Thanks for chiming in guys! I know OEM is tough to beat, but I just wanna know whats out there and how good it is.

Quick Reply: Brakes