S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Brakes

Old 07-02-2008, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brakes

I need new brakes and I do not want to go OEM this time. Reason for doing so is I believe my stopping power would better if I bought aftermarket brakes such as Brembo or cobalt.

If this is correct, Which brakes would everyone recommend for a better stopping power, no brake squeal, and without modifying the calipers.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think most people are still going to suggest oem. any other pad comes with sacrifices like additional brake dust or premature rotor wear.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by billiardboy904,Jul 2 2008, 04:44 PM
Reason for doing so is I believe my stopping power would better if I bought aftermarket brakes such as Brembo or cobalt.
Another triumph of advertising budgets over education.

When you say "brakes", what are you talking about? Rotors? Pads? Fluid? Calipers? Master cylinders?

If you are talking rotors, then just about anything will work fine for a street-driven application. Just go with whatever makes you happiest.

If you are talking pads, then I suggest the Honda OEM AP1 pads are the best I have tried on the street.

If you are talking track car, then read the FAQs in the Racing and Comp forum.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ryan...there isn't really anything decent for street use that is better than OEM. Anything else will have compromises..faster rotor wear, more dust, squealing, etc.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do autocross from time to time, and yes i was talking about the pads.

If OEM are that nice, which i would agree because I do stop faster than any ther car i have driven, Then I shall buy them. My real concern was last Spring n the Dragon, I had some issues. On one trip up the Dragon, I was running pretty hard. I guess i was overbraking as well (too much throttle after the turns to let engine slow me down.) and when i came to the tail, I could not stop. So once the gravel pit slowed me down enough to stop, I had purple smoking rotors n pads. I do not intend to let this happen again but if it does,
Which pads have a low heat tollerence or is it in conjunction with my Rotors too?
Old 07-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Former Moderator

Yeah...Dragon is different. But Ryan...are you going to the Dragon again soon...like in the next 12 months?
Old 07-02-2008, 05:48 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Carbotech Bobcat 1521's. I was at the Dragon in April and ended up cooking a set of OEM pads that weekend. Now I use the Bobcats and notice less dust on the wheels and much better braking. I cannot say that it was ONLY the pads that made the difference though; I also changed out my fluid to ATE super blue at the same time...
Old 07-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Former Moderator

Bobcats will cook on the Dragon too...been there done that.

But they aren't bad for a street/autox pad. But mine dusted pretty bad.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used Bobcats. I went back to OEM.

If you push any street pad too far, it's going to overheat. Fact of life. But a track pad is going to cost more, be really noisy, and dust like crazy.

I recommend just using the OEMs, and maybe swapping to something else only when you plan to need them (such as on a track day, or perhaps even an autoX day). Swapping pads is not hard.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i can't say enough about my stoptech stage 2 upgrade,

but i imagine that wasn't enough

Quick Reply: Brakes