S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Bigger shift knob?

Old 04-13-2008, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bigger shift knob?

Hey guys, a while back I mis-shifted my car and bent all the valves blah blah blah. I kind of find myself being more careful with shifts when im racing. Since the s2k shift gates are so short im thinking for myself I would probably benefit from a taller/thicker shift knob so I could get a better feel and lengthen the throws a bit so it would make it harder to mis shift but would probably make me feel more confident and be able to shift alot faster. Most shift knobs I see are the shorter ball type which I would find it incredibly hard to get a good grip on it when trying to race and shift fast. Anyone got any recommendations or thoughts?
Old 04-14-2008, 05:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

A member on here was selling some larger stainless steel ball type shift knobs. They were counter sunk but definitely a nice size. They also weighed in at around 600 grams. So feel awesome shifting with it.
Here is a picture of the shift knob I am talking about on my car. I will try to find the guys info who I bought it from. He was selling lots of them but I think might have been booted since he wasn't a sponsor.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:03 AM

you're talking about Grendel. I have one of his knobs and its freakin awesome. However, the OP said he isn't interested in shorter knob or the round ball style, which Grendel's knob is both
Old 04-14-2008, 06:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

oops. Didn't know he didn't want a ball style. I find this one really easy to grip however. Fits perfectly into your palm.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:40 AM

get a CR or CTR shift knob.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:50 AM

Sounds to me like a BlackStar knob would work for you rather well

It is what i am running in my car right now, and it is working very nicely... great feel, and not TOO long, but not TOO short...

Clear Version (what i'm using right now) :

Aluminum Version:

Where to buy:
http://www.panducky.com/Custom-Shift...p_25-1470.html
Old 04-14-2008, 07:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/

I have one from TWM. They're pretty pricey, but they weigh a lot which is a big plus. I really like mine.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:53 AM

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a regular Voodoo knob on my S2k and a Voodoo XL knob on my Scion. I can't make a recommendation for a non-ball type shifter, but from my experience with the two sizes - you are on the right track with your logic. The larger size will help you negotiate the smaller gates.

If you are worried about getting a grip on a ball-type shifter, get a cheap one and try it. If you curl your fingers under the front of the ball, it's very difficult for you hand to slip off. Using a larger size will also help.

I'm an oddball, but I don't grip the shifter, ever. I just push it around with the ball of my hand and pull with my 3rd & 4th fingers. But I don't wrap my fingers or hand around the knob at all.

I didn't like the larger knob on the S2k. It felt cumbersome after using the smaller version, and took away the "joystick" feeling.

-Pete
Old 04-14-2008, 07:59 AM

OEM titanium has great weight and size to me. I love the way it feels. I can tell the difference between my OEM MY'05 knob (even though its much heavier than AP1s) and the Titanium one.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by pininfarina456,Apr 14 2008, 10:40 AM
get a CR or CTR shift knob.
did you even read my original post?

anyways ill probably give that blackstar one a try, and if I don't like the big ones (giggity) ill just go ahead and try the ball type just for the hell of it.

Quick Reply: Bigger shift knob?