S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Best mods?

Old 04-23-2011, 10:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Buntinboy9
Originally Posted by suzuka-blue-s2k' timestamp='1303566290' post='20499243
I say you should lower it about an inch, get an OEM front lip, and an OEM spoiler. That will already make the car look very clean on the outside. Then I would make sure you change all of the fluids before you start modding, afterwards I would say get a test pipe and an intake. Bolt on's don't do much for our S so doing a few things for performance isn't going to make a big difference unless your about to spend a ton of money. The test pipe will definetly increase exhaust flow, and even with the OEM exhaust it makes it sounds nicer. Then an intake such as the K&N FIPK makes under the hood a lot cleaner looking, and plus it sounds amazing. Once you get on it, it will scream and sounds awesome.
sounds like what I have in plan right now... One more question because I have a lot of peoples attention. Does K&N make a drop in air filter or is it even worth it.

Also, if I were to look at the test pipe. will it through a CEL code? I kinda want to do some racing with scca down the road.

The K&N drop in filter for the airbox is not worth the money. Trust me i've been through more intake setups than most people have, and that includes full out modding the airbox (gutting/insulating, K&N drop in, PWJDM lid, Samco arm, and an AUT cooling plate to finish it all off. There was no real difference between all that vs stock with an OEM filter. So don't waste your money on the airbox, not worth it unless you're just doing it for looks. The K&N FIPK is a great intake, performs good, sounds great, and cleans up the bay a lot better. Not to mention you can get them new for like $230 and if you get the FIPK 2 it has a CARB legal sticker just in case you live somewhere that needs them.

When you get a test pipe, be sure to get one that comes with the CEL fix, some come with them, some don't. It is pretty much just a spacer for the o2 sensor and tricks it so it doesnt trip the CEL. Some S's are kind of picky about it and might still throw the CEL, if it does that just go to your local autozone and get some spark plug defoulers, people also use these as CEL fix's for their test pipes. Just add one on there and that should do the trick. You can easily search that on here and find a lot of info, and probably some pics. Also if you are getting a test pipe, get the proper size. If you are going to use it with the OEM exhaust, you want the piping diameter to match the test pipe diameter. Other sizes will fit, but for the best performance and such it's best to match all of the piping. So if your staying stock (60mm) or planning on maybe getting a 60mm aftermarket exhaust, get the 60mm test pipe. If you plan on going with a 70mm exhaust down the road, go ahead and get that. You can run it fine with the stock exhaust also, but it won't benifit you anymore than a 60mm would with it at that point since you would be bottle necking the system.

Hope that helps!
Old 04-24-2011, 06:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by manny
Licence plate L.E.D
haha ok so my car isnt COMPLETELY stock. the previous owner actually did do that and it looks really good too.

Originally Posted by S2KNFR
Free mod...
The Top Down mod. Do the one wire mod so all you have to do is engage the parking brake one notch and you can do your top up/down on the slow-fly without stopping.
Then exhaust like a Q300.
FIPK and Aut plate.
Enjoy.
plan on doing a few of modifrys free ones. I havent done any research on the exhaust but I do like the FIPK... I have to pay the car off before I can do any mods that are more than 400 bucks.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by suzuka-blue-s2k
The K&N drop in filter for the airbox is not worth the money. Trust me i've been through more intake setups than most people have, and that includes full out modding the airbox (gutting/insulating, K&N drop in, PWJDM lid, Samco arm, and an AUT cooling plate to finish it all off. There was no real difference between all that vs stock with an OEM filter. So don't waste your money on the airbox, not worth it unless you're just doing it for looks. The K&N FIPK is a great intake, performs good, sounds great, and cleans up the bay a lot better. Not to mention you can get them new for like $230 and if you get the FIPK 2 it has a CARB legal sticker just in case you live somewhere that needs them.

When you get a test pipe, be sure to get one that comes with the CEL fix, some come with them, some don't. It is pretty much just a spacer for the o2 sensor and tricks it so it doesnt trip the CEL. Some S's are kind of picky about it and might still throw the CEL, if it does that just go to your local autozone and get some spark plug defoulers, people also use these as CEL fix's for their test pipes. Just add one on there and that should do the trick. You can easily search that on here and find a lot of info, and probably some pics. Also if you are getting a test pipe, get the proper size. If you are going to use it with the OEM exhaust, you want the piping diameter to match the test pipe diameter. Other sizes will fit, but for the best performance and such it's best to match all of the piping. So if your staying stock (60mm) or planning on maybe getting a 60mm aftermarket exhaust, get the 60mm test pipe. If you plan on going with a 70mm exhaust down the road, go ahead and get that. You can run it fine with the stock exhaust also, but it won't benifit you anymore than a 60mm would with it at that point since you would be bottle necking the system.

Hope that helps!

ahh thanks for the help on the info for both. I am definitely start budgeting an intake soon and start looking at a test pipe. I am going to be looking for an exhaust either this december (christmas) or next summer. but I really want to lower her before I go with an exhaust and the lowering would comprise of koni yellows, koni sleeves, and hyperco 2.25" springs (rates to be determined).
Old 04-24-2011, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4.77 gear set - it makes "felt" 50 HP