S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Best Ebay S2k Parts Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disagree.. I've painted parts with certain color codes, come back a couple years later with a different can of the "same" paint and it matched almost perfectly. Body shops are able to match the color pretty good, and car to car all silverstones are identical. If you're going to sell an OEM fix paint, you should take the time to get your code right before charging almost $20 a can. I let the ball run around the bottom rim of the can for a minute and shook well for 2 minutes, so its was well mixed too.

This stuff wasnt even close.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...17920&viewitem=
Old 12-20-2010, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Painting with a rattle can, and painting in multiple stages in a body shop are two completely different worlds. Even body shops struggle to get an acceptable (not perfect) match with silverstone. Theres is no way you can get a metallic paint to match from a rattle can, because the metal flake will not align properly with the OEM paint. The orientation of the metal flake has a huge impact on what we perceive as the color of the paint.

I'm not saying that they did get it right, because I'm not looking at it. I'm just saying that no rattle can paint is ever going to come close to matching the OEM finish, so don't expect it to.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:44 AM

Gna have to agree the hard way here, u cannot get an exact match unless u paint the entire car again with same paint in same conditions.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by CBRdream21,Dec 20 2010, 11:52 AM
Painting with a rattle can, and painting in multiple stages in a body shop are two completely different worlds. Even body shops struggle to get an acceptable (not perfect) match with silverstone. Theres is no way you can get a metallic paint to match from a rattle can, because the metal flake will not align properly with the OEM paint. The orientation of the metal flake has a huge impact on what we perceive as the color of the paint.

I'm not saying that they did get it right, because I'm not looking at it. I'm just saying that no rattle can paint is ever going to come close to matching the OEM finish, so don't expect it to.
cant agree more

and plus, its a $20 'can of spray paint'...
Old 12-20-2010, 01:05 PM

I agree that the flake wont match, but under the same light the tone can be the same. I painted the tow lug cover so its "flush" with the bumper around it, the lighting etc is all the same and it doesnt match at all.

I've used the duplicolor gunmetal wheel paint to paint rims and intercooler piping before, its a similar color w/ tons of flake to it, can to can it matched very well. A friend of mine had a gunmetal 240sx and it was almost a perfect match to the OEM paint.

I bought 2 cans of touch up paint in an attempt to match my bumber a bit better. The silverstone and a lighter OEM honda silver, one was too light, one was too dark. If there was a 50/50 mix it would almost be perfect. An OEM touch up can could/would have achieved remarkably better match to the OEM paint.

Regardless, both points support the same direction. Dont waste your money on $17 cans of touch up paint.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by MrKlean187,Oct 8 2010, 02:49 AM
I ended buying the ap2 replica lip from slipstreamauto b4 I went to homecoming 2. It was polyurethane, black, & ready to paint. I had to send an email or 2 to inquire about shipping (he was a little slow getting it out) but not too bad overall, he replied quickly & got the ball rolling. I took it to get painted and my painter noticed some body filler was used on the inside to repair sum sort of damage (painter asked if it was used). I would never have known and didn't care too much since I needed to paint it anyways and it was cheap and from eBay....It came in one piece, not folded, with all hardware but no tape. I have it mounted w/o tape just some screws on the sides and underneath. It fits 7.5/10 sides are stretched pretty good to fit screwholes and bottom had a wavy result but that can be fixed with a heat gun. I will get some pics up whenever I can figure out how to on this Droid incredible....

Edit: I forgot to mention I managed to hit a piece of tire otw to california and bc there was no tape, the top of the lip got lodged under the bottom of the bumper, no biggie no damage. I just temporarily used a cpl zipties to keep it snug while driving cross-country. Actually worked out pretty nicely!
I finally got some pics...

Old 12-20-2010, 01:31 PM

Poctures arent working Mind hosting it on Tinypic.com
Old 12-20-2010, 01:44 PM

Damn, it is way too much work to try and get a cpl pics posted on here....
Old 12-20-2010, 02:05 PM

Anyone know if these are made/sold domestic by anyone else?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-00-03...=item45f7872119
Old 12-20-2010, 02:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by -Jordan-,Dec 20 2010, 06:05 PM
Anyone know if these are made/sold domestic by anyone else?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-00-03...=item45f7872119
Avoid snorkels man. I honestly think they are more of a restriction than better airflow how they kink down so thin. I would get an AUT style cooling plate. I had one with my OEM airbox and it goes around the inlet of the airbox perfectly. That was you arent restricting any airflow to the airbox inlet, and it will suck in cool air from the front bumper instead of the hot engine bay air.

Quick Reply: Best Ebay S2k Parts Thread