S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

best carb legal exhaust setup(header,hfc, exhaust)for a supercharged car

Old 02-13-2012, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best carb legal exhaust setup(header,hfc, exhaust)for a supercharged car

yeah i did a search and have not been able to find dynos of each of these parts

looking for a CARB legal combo for an ap1 s2k that is going supercharged 12+psi

exhaust manifold/header
comptech/ct engineer
dc sports

these are the only 2 i see that are carb legal? cant find dynos with only this modification

hfc
60/70mm ?!? i dont know what brand is carb legal

exhaust
comptech/ct engineer
invidia ? i know they make a couple different catbacks
?

looking for something with proven gains, that doesnt sound like a fart can or too loud

any dynos with just each item would be nice. thanks
Old 02-13-2012, 10:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CARB isn't relavant to exhausts, so you're never going to find one. There's no such thing as a CARB legal TP or HFC, so you either have to such it up and go illegal, or stay oem (I used to be under the impression the Asura was; I was wrong). For the record, I've never seen a cop do a glance under the car to look at the cat. Not saying it hasn't happened in the history of pullovers, but I've never heard of it myself (nor in my experiences). Are you trying to get the most out of your supercharged setup, or just looking for more than oem while still staying tame? 12psi sounds like a lot of s/c boost to choose an exhaust that isn't going to potentially be "too loud". That said, the comptech obviously wouldn't be the worst choice. I always suggest Asura though , but quiet isn't exactly one of the best descriptions (but it's more like a beautiful song, than fart can loud). The choice of your exhaust, will depend on what size you want to go with your HFC/TP. If boosting I wouldn't suggest anything smaller than 70mm.

If you're supercharged, you want a 4-1 header. Get the Comptech.

Looking up "dynos with each" item, isn't going to do you any good on a supercharged car. It's not even going to give you a "general idea", as all of those are going to react completely different (in performance and sound) under boost.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:24 PM

thx for the advice, i know the grey spot in the rule book for catbacks but i was pulled over once for an "illegal exhaust" and it wasnt for sound...
Old 02-13-2012, 10:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your header was swapped and wasn't CARB'd, one could argue the header is apart of the exhaust system. Though generally, if it's the citation you were written for (not the fix-it variety), it was a case of a cop not knowing the proper codes to write you up for. The only thing illegal about any exhaust system is the sound. Exhausts in no way shape or form effect emissions (unless there's an exhaust leak, but that's not a legal issue as far as cops are concerned). It's a quite common (and stupid) mistake for officers to write the wrong exhaust citation, when attempting to cite something else.

The noise violation is a fix-it ticket that sends you to BAR.

The illegal exhaust ticket is the pain in the ass. The conflict of understanding is that cops tend to see the word exhaust, and think of 'the exhaust' where as the illegal exhaust ticket is more aimed at the header/cat portion, but is technically apart of the 'exhaust system'. Since those are CARB regulated/emissions related parts.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:30 AM

ok that makes more sense, thanks ;3
Old 02-14-2012, 10:12 AM

For a supercharged setup I was advised not to go 3" 63 or 70mm is best, something to do with back pressure and boost loss. Like Whiteflash said, ur not going to find many if any at all that are CARB legal, The 8 years I lived in Cali I never once got asked to pop my hood or got a citation for my exhaust. At the time I was 10lbs SCed with a 70mm LOUD Amuse R1000 header back and Toda header. Here in ILL I got pulled over so many times for my Amuse that I traded it for a T1R 70r em dual sparrow paired with a 70mm Invidia test pipe, quieter and butt dyno approves. Apperantly any kind of exhaust mods here in ILL are illegal. I don't get hassled for my exhaust anymore and I love the tone of it. I will be dynoing next weekend with a 3" pulley, maxing out my blower, we will see how that goes.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Usually when the larger exhaust lowers the boost with a supercharged car it is because it frees up eye exhaust which in turn lowers boost. Once you run a smaller pulley to get back to the same boost level you should be making more power at the same boost level as before the exhaust change. So with it lowering power, as long as boost goes down as well it is most likely a good thing.

OP. I'd stick with oem header for now at least and just get a nice 70mm exhaust and test pipe. I am running the Greddy SE dual with 70mm Invidia test pipe and very happy with it.
The following users liked this post:
s2krayz (01-06-2019)