S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Best Brakes / Suspension for me?

Old 11-01-2009, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Brakes / Suspension for me?

Well I haven't done anything to my S2000 since about 50k miles. I'm just over 80k miles and I've never replaced any of the suspension or brakes (not even pads!). The brakes are finally in need of replacement and I'd like to go aftermarket. First off what rotor would everyone recommend that is good for street use and has low dust problems and little or no noise. Also I was thinking about going with a possible slotted or cross-drilled rotor setup. What is a good set of just rotors that aren't to cheap and reliable and fit the stock calipers? Lastly the ride of my S2000 has gotten very rough and I'm pretty sure it's just the suspension getting old. I'd like to get a relatively cheap replacement (around 1k) and what to know what a good set is to go with. I'd like a slightly softer suspension setup then stock if possible. Thanks for your help guys!
Old 11-01-2009, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rotors are rotors. OEM rotors or Centric rotors from TireRack are fine.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:17 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

I just put on Hawk HPS pads on all four corners, they are the perfect pad for street use, excellent performer. I've put these pads on about 5 different vehicles and never had any complaints about them, very happy with them on the S2k. I can't recommend any rotor, the stock ones work pretty well though, I don't have any complaints with the stock rotors, sometimes going with an aftermarket rotor you can end up with something inferior. I don't have any experience with suspension parts on the car.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:45 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you pride yourself on long-lasting wear over pure performance, I'd stick with OEM. Change the rotors and pads yourself (very easy to do, even if you're not mechanically inclined).

Use the money you saved towards getting a really good suspension system.

For example, our AP1 on Motons rides better than our CR. And the springs on the AP1 are 2-3x stiffer than the CR springs. Dampers make a big difference.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Koni yellow adjustable dampers are a very good choice for replacement dampers, and on the softest setting they ride better than stock, or you can firm them up for aggressive driving. You can use your stock springs. It doesn't sound like you need a full coilover system, so that would be overkill. You can get the Konis for about 625 shipped.

OEM pads are good for street. I hated the rust on my rotors so I got some generic slotted/drilled rotors that are coated to prevent rust. They perform the same as OEM. No better or worse. They look way better though! Some hardcore track guys say do not use drilled rotors because they can crack, but I never track my car so that won't be a problem. If you are worried about cracking you can get solid rotors with anti rust coating on them from tons of places and you get the same them that Honda would sell you for less money and no rust.