S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.
View Poll Results: Which battery would you choose?
Optima
37.45%
Odyssey 680
37.45%
Other Dry Cell/Lightweight Battery
25.09%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Battery Replacement

Old 11-28-2011, 07:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RylisPro
I would not use the height extender base at all because it is only lightly supported around the perimeter
There is no support on the center of the base and it is made of flimsy plastic
There isn't a need for the plastic base to have support in the center, since almost all of the downward force is at the edges. Think about it, the tie downs pull down on the top, which pushes down on the 4 walls of the battery case. The only force pushing down on the center of the battery's base is just the weight of the internal "stuff".
Old 11-28-2011, 08:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gernby
There isn't a need for the plastic base to have support in the center, since almost all of the downward force is at the edges. Think about it, the tie downs pull down on the top, which pushes down on the 4 walls of the battery case. The only force pushing down on the center of the battery's base is just the weight of the internal "stuff".
I still wouldn't use any height extenders, and you are using two!?
you are in effect raising a 10lb mass even higher which doesn't help handling/center of gravity

Like I said the optimum setup for the battery is laying on it side to be lowest to the ground as possible
quit being cheap and buy some shorter j-hooks they are about 5 dollars at any auto parts store
better yet find a way to bolt the battery down on its side

I already know you have more knowledge/experience than me and would have figured that out
maybe you should think about it
Old 11-29-2011, 08:29 AM

Received 419 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by gernby' timestamp='1322496976' post='21190720
you are in effect raising a 10lb mass even higher which doesn't help handling/center of gravity

Like I said the optimum setup for the battery is laying on it side to be lowest to the ground as possible
quit being cheap and buy some shorter j-hooks they are about 5 dollars at any auto parts store

I already know you have more knowledge/experience than me and would have figured that out
Not sure if really worried about center of gravity or just dont want to be wrong.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:09 PM
Former Sponsor

I agree that putting the battery on its side without an ass jack would technically improve center of gravity. However, I don't believe that it would make a frog fart's worth of difference in actual performance. After all, we're talking about lowering the ~9 lbs battery's center of gravity by ~2". On the other hand, mounting it the way I did makes it easier to work with the terminals and the cables aren't stretched into an awkward position. This was important to me, since I had continuous problems with the SAE terminals vibrating loose with my Braille B106, which now lives in my daughter's Jeep (perfect fit).

While I'm posting pictures, I guess I'll post the pictures comparing the Braille B106 to the Deka ETX14. They are obviously siblings. I wish I would have done more research before paying all that friggin money for the Braille sticker!

The reason why the terminals are twisted on the B106 is because I could never get the SAE terminals tight enough to not come loose. I eventually used Loctite on them.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am only here to add constructive criticism, so let's end this argument

I agree that with the post on top it is much easier to access and
the only reason I haven't laid the battery on its side is I haven't figured out how without drilling more holes
maybe I'll fabricate a custom bracket?

What is the CCA of those smaller batteries?
my ETX16 says 325 CCA but when another member had it tested out, he stated that he got 458 CCA

You have to use Red Loctite 271 for the terminals per instructions from Deka

The bracket indentations on your Braille are why I put pieces of rubber under the metal battery holder
I didn't want it to squish the battery
Old 11-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Former Sponsor

I can't imagine why it would take Loctite RED! Did they suggest that for motorcycles, or everything? I just used a small amount of Blue on my ETX14, and it's done fine so far.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok gents my ETX14 (orilleys power sport $75 edition) is starting to hate the cold but i quit driving the s2k since i got a 4wd civic wagon so it sits in the garage and get out every other week. It seems to be unhappy about it but it does still crack the car every time!
Old 01-06-2012, 09:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by midnightsunset
Originally Posted by S~Factor,Jun 16 2009, 08:21 AM
Sears' Die Hard Gold.
Not too many favoable reviews with DieHard from what I have seen
I have a die hard in my car, regular size, no complaints.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Abide
ok gents my ETX14 (orilleys power sport $75 edition) is starting to hate the cold but i quit driving the s2k since i got a 4wd civic wagon so it sits in the garage and get out every other week. It seems to be unhappy about it but it does still crack the car every time!

where did you find a 4wd civic wagon?
Old 02-16-2012, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after searching from san antonio to Milwaukee to Maryland to fl i found it in the same exact zip code. friend of mine's dad had one in great condition. pm me if ya wanna know more about it.

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement