S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Ballade Type S Single Exhaust Volume - Inquiry

Old 06-21-2024, 03:51 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Ballade Type S Single Exhaust Volume - Inquiry

Does anyone have experience with how loud the Ballade's Type S single exhaust is compared to common "quiet" S2000 exhausts like Comptech, Fujitsubo, or Tanabe? I currently have a Yonaka exhaust that I added a helmoltz resonator, it's not completely obnoxious but it's still louder than I'd prefer. Is Ballade a reasonable option for a single, quiet, free flowing, economical exhaust? Should I just accept that I'm old and go with a conservative dual exhaust that I know won't be too loud?
Old 06-21-2024, 07:14 AM

Received 1,176 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Sound level data is about the only way one can judge noise remotely. Reviews or videos without this data is impossible to judge on speakers and recordings.

In one video Ballade claims the Type S single is "only" 6dBA louder than stock (they show the dBA readings). Which is 60% (sixty) louder which I wouldn't consider "reasonable" if you're getting tired of your current noise. Their noise readings were taken indoors where even the OEM exhaust topped 120dBA (ear bleed level) which is exaggerated but both the OEM and Type S were taken in the same location so comparisons should be valid if not completely scientific.

An adult exhaust like the Tanabe/Revel Medallion Touring dual has proven popular for those of us long out of high school. And IMHO the dual looks better than a single. Finding a local sample of the Type S will likely prove impossible but you should be able to find other cars to test drive and judge their noise. Should be several drives you can participate in this summer. I'll let another S2000 owner drive my car any time. Heck, drive a OEM-exhaust and see if it meets your current standards.

I believe the exhaust should compliment the car not define it. I'd rather folks said "Nice car!" rather than "Nice exhaust."

-- Chuck
Old 06-21-2024, 07:26 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by pdexta
Does anyone have experience with how loud the Ballade's Type S single exhaust is compared to common "quiet" S2000 exhausts like Comptech, Fujitsubo, or Tanabe? I currently have a Yonaka exhaust that I added a helmoltz resonator, it's not completely obnoxious but it's still louder than I'd prefer. Is Ballade a reasonable option for a single, quiet, free flowing, economical exhaust? Should I just accept that I'm old and go with a conservative dual exhaust that I know won't be too loud?
Fujitsubo is definitely on the quieter side of the aftermarket exhausts, one of the few that doesn't drone. Mugen is another, but on the expensive side and may be discontinued now. The original Tanabe medallion is on the quiet side, the Revel one isn't the same as the old one.

Single is going to be louder (generally) than a dual. HKS has an SSM one, I believe that one is on the quieter scale but still a dual. Believe the "quiet" single exhaust are all going to be true JDM pieces, like ASM, Amuse etc and cost a pretty penny these days.
Old 06-21-2024, 11:56 AM

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

The Ballade Type S single exhaust has a design/manufacturing flaw that causes it to break apart internally, causing a rattle. It sounds so good that I'd take a chance with it, but I wouldn't pay much for it.

Despite the weight, I'm very happy with my OEM exhaust + UK mod. Barely louder than stock (I wish it were a little louder) and absolutely no drone.

Old 06-21-2024, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up the remark s2000 exhaust. I had to go with a right single exit exhaust due to the diffuser I have. The exhaust has an adjustable sound level and I'm on the quietest setting. I would recommend if you're looking for something quiet and it needs to be a single.
Old 06-27-2024, 11:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

While it is subjective to a degree, I've had Fujitsubo Legalis R, Ballade Type S Single and now ASM Special S. Like others have mentioned, the Fujitsubo is a pretty quiet option and I would say it's barely louder than stock. The Ballade Type S is noticeably louder but for a single exhaust is quite tame. I got lots of compliments on the sound and I found it to be still very reasonable for sound level. I will say it did still have a little drone but overall really manageable. Likely due to the age of the resonator and muffler packing, but my ASM Special S is noticeably louder than the Ballade option.