S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Axle bucket pitting!

Old 06-01-2012, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle bucket pitting!

Is there a permanent fix for worn Axle buckets? This shit is driving me crazy, I swapped the buckets from side to side and around 20k later Its back! I drive this car pretty hard as it is not my DD. I want this crap Gone For Good!
Old 06-01-2012, 06:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no all i did was order the blox spacers and problem went away!!!
Old 06-01-2012, 06:38 AM

Have you tried axle spacers? I just ordered a set of EVS spacers in case I need them when I do my coilovers.

My friend said he swapped buckets and still has vibration too.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

new axles is the only fix until it comes back. You could try the spacers the problem will probably be worse or happen quicker than it did when you swapped the cups.
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/241...diy-with-pics/

This is what I would do:
-swap buckets (you did and problem is back.)
-new axles oops, didn't know you could just buy the inboard joint/cup

If you want to gamble go ahead and get spacers.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:46 AM

The ultimate fix would be to replace the cv buckets completley. They sell for roughly 250 a piece.

http://www.majestichondalincoln.com/service/order-parts

Enter Vin and search under rear driveshaft. Part number 5

The problem is that a "wear spot" begins on the inner surface of the bucket when the car is at stock height. When you lower the car a new wear spot begins to form at the new ride height. You get vibration when the "spider Bearing" moves from the stock wear spot and the lowered wear spot. Solution...Use new buckets at your lowered height, with a clean inner surface you will only create a wear spot at the lowered height.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

New axels are quite pricey... Especially for a wear item.

Btw, I'm on stock suspension. Never been lowered. I did the Inner CV swap and it was no different. Oscilatting vibrations starting at 76mph (real bad at 81mph). I hate it, but not enough to blow a grand on it. Unless the axel is fine and the CV joints just need replacing...
Old 06-01-2012, 08:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just ordered from Raxles.com, lifetime warranty so I'm hoping I'll be good. I heard good things about em and talked to the guy from there, seems legit.
Word of advice, do not get Autozone axles or any axle for under $200, will be garbage. I tried the Autozone route first.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I had good results with swapping the inner joints AND adding spacers at the same time.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:34 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You could try spacers but it may not move the bearings far enough away from the wear spot. I can't believe the vibrations are back so quick. Did you put new grease in or keep the old grease? I would suggest getting new cups only, or gambling and buying some cheap used axles, hoping for the best. You just need used axles that haven't had the cups swapped yet!
Old 04-13-2014, 10:48 PM

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by devildust
I just ordered from Raxles.com, lifetime warranty so I'm hoping I'll be good. I heard good things about em and talked to the guy from there, seems legit.
Word of advice, do not get Autozone axles or any axle for under $200, will be garbage. I tried the Autozone route first.

Marty @ Raxles is phenomenal.

Quick Reply: Axle bucket pitting!