S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Asura Design 3" High Flow Cat Mini-review

Old 04-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1316766299' post='20998272
[quote name='eklipz98' timestamp='1316765805' post='20998261']
[quote name='davidc1' timestamp='1316765560' post='20998257']
[quote name='Disgustipated' timestamp='1295686762' post='20129051']
Originally Posted by Vitt,Jan 22 2011, 01:16 AM
Even if the Asura is CARB approved that doesn't necessarily make it legal for all cars. Car has to be more than 7 years old and have over 70K miles for starters, but there are other requirements as well: here is the complete list: http://www.car-sound...sics/04carb.asp
Allow me to assert a little real talk here: police do not truly understand or even know the laws they're enforcing. do you think a police officer is going to know those silly guidelines for CARB? No. Do you think he's going to get on his hands and knees to check whether a cat is in place or not? No. Do you think he's going to freak out if he popped my hood and sees my K&N intake with its CARB legal sticker? No.

So with all of that in mind, if you've got a high flow cat that doesn't stink or give any outward signs of being modified, do you think its even going to be an issue that's brought up? Think about it. Cops notice the test pipe smell, but they'll automatically assume the car has a (stock) cat if it smells/acts like it does with the Asura HFC. There is absolutely no way to tell without jacking up the car whether or not the car has a stock cat or HFC judging by outward appearances and behaviors.

This is not even a concern. The part is CARB exempt and passes visual inspection, and that's what matters. Not to mention that it'd only be an issue in California.
Don't really care about the cops, however, I think any cop could tell that it's not an OEM piece. OEM pieces are never shiny metal and will always have a heat shield.

Regardless, any smog inspection station will spot it immediately. Many will probably decline to even test you because they won't want to hassle figuring out if the cat is CARB legal.
When a California smog station spots a shiny cat with no CARB number, there's no hassle involved in figuring out if its legal. Plain and simple, the part has to have that stupid number to be legal, so it auto fail a.k.a. illegal.

My experience today was two fold:
1. The first shop instantly failed me, took no money, and refused to test me, telling me I would fail (an honest approach IMO).
2. The second shop did a visual inspection, then proceeded to test my car with the sniffer, then despite passing the emissions, failed me on the visual at the end (a dishonest approach IMO). So basically, I am stuck going back to this place, since they have a free re-test.
[/quote]

I think it's a little bit of a hassle. From what I understand, even though the CARB number may be stamped on the part, the shop still has to look it up in a book or manual published by the CARB. However, the shop has to buy this book. And, it's expensive. So, if a shop doesn't buy the book, they can't look it up, and therefore won't pass it.

But I'm a bit confused. Why did the second shop fail you on the visual inspection if the part had the CARB number on it?
[/quote]
It was not a CARB EO number, it was a item/model number.
[/quote]

Guess what, it is a CARB EO number. STFU. GTFO out of my thread with your misinformation, ma douchie.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Disgustipated
Originally Posted by eklipz98' timestamp='1316794584' post='20999318
[quote name='davidc1' timestamp='1316766299' post='20998272']
[quote name='eklipz98' timestamp='1316765805' post='20998261']
[quote name='davidc1' timestamp='1316765560' post='20998257']
[quote name='Disgustipated' timestamp='1295686762' post='20129051']
Originally Posted by Vitt,Jan 22 2011, 01:16 AM
Even if the Asura is CARB approved that doesn't necessarily make it legal for all cars. Car has to be more than 7 years old and have over 70K miles for starters, but there are other requirements as well: here is the complete list: http://www.car-sound...sics/04carb.asp
Allow me to assert a little real talk here: police do not truly understand or even know the laws they're enforcing. do you think a police officer is going to know those silly guidelines for CARB? No. Do you think he's going to get on his hands and knees to check whether a cat is in place or not? No. Do you think he's going to freak out if he popped my hood and sees my K&N intake with its CARB legal sticker? No.

So with all of that in mind, if you've got a high flow cat that doesn't stink or give any outward signs of being modified, do you think its even going to be an issue that's brought up? Think about it. Cops notice the test pipe smell, but they'll automatically assume the car has a (stock) cat if it smells/acts like it does with the Asura HFC. There is absolutely no way to tell without jacking up the car whether or not the car has a stock cat or HFC judging by outward appearances and behaviors.

This is not even a concern. The part is CARB exempt and passes visual inspection, and that's what matters. Not to mention that it'd only be an issue in California.
Don't really care about the cops, however, I think any cop could tell that it's not an OEM piece. OEM pieces are never shiny metal and will always have a heat shield.

Regardless, any smog inspection station will spot it immediately. Many will probably decline to even test you because they won't want to hassle figuring out if the cat is CARB legal.
When a California smog station spots a shiny cat with no CARB number, there's no hassle involved in figuring out if its legal. Plain and simple, the part has to have that stupid number to be legal, so it auto fail a.k.a. illegal.

My experience today was two fold:
1. The first shop instantly failed me, took no money, and refused to test me, telling me I would fail (an honest approach IMO).
2. The second shop did a visual inspection, then proceeded to test my car with the sniffer, then despite passing the emissions, failed me on the visual at the end (a dishonest approach IMO). So basically, I am stuck going back to this place, since they have a free re-test.
[/quote]

I think it's a little bit of a hassle. From what I understand, even though the CARB number may be stamped on the part, the shop still has to look it up in a book or manual published by the CARB. However, the shop has to buy this book. And, it's expensive. So, if a shop doesn't buy the book, they can't look it up, and therefore won't pass it.

But I'm a bit confused. Why did the second shop fail you on the visual inspection if the part had the CARB number on it?
[/quote]
It was not a CARB EO number, it was a item/model number.
[/quote]

Guess what, it is a CARB EO number. STFU. GTFO out of my thread with your misinformation, ma douchie.
[/quote]
Actually I called CARB, and they had no record of a currently approved Asura branded CARB-EO number. You are just plan wrong. The number on my cat was some generic magnaflow part number, not a carb number. Close or delete your thread (or edit it to provide accurate information) if you don't want people replying to it.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where did you get the asura hfc? I can't find a seller for asura products
Old 10-01-2012, 03:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OM6292
He's out of buisness and being sued by a customer last I heard.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Originally Posted by OM6292' timestamp='1349134947' post='22051108
He's out of buisness and being sued by a customer last I heard.
Damn must be major suit, its a shame nice guy great products, lil slow shipping my catback but was worth the wait

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2