S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Asura Design 3" High Flow Cat Mini-review

Old 01-22-2011, 09:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Disgustipated do you know if the Asura is 100 cpi? I didn't know the Berk was (according to someone on another thread). I thought it was something like 200.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitt,Jan 22 2011, 11:23 AM
Disgustipated do you know if the Asura is 100 cpi? I didn't know the Berk was (according to someone on another thread). I thought it was something like 200.
I believe so, but i cam ask Asura for confirmation.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitt,Jan 22 2011, 07:30 AM
^^ I agree with everything you say. I wouldn't be concerned about being stopped by a cop. But the statement that it is CARB legal is a bit misleading because it could be interpreted as a part that could just be slapped on without any other stipulation. Hopefully a tester would just let it go but if he notices it is an aftermarket he could as for the documentation as stipulated in that link.
No it's not mis-leading at all, please stop arguing for the sake of arguing. This part meets all the requirements an individual part needs to be smog legal. The installation and use of it, is the responsibility of the owner, not of the part. This part is CARB legal, it has a CARB EO #, end of story. If you do not meet the requirements for replacing your cat, that is NOT an issue with the cat itself. Get it?

I wish Asura made everything in my car. His (their) work is beyond top notch. Now you just need to get his 3" exhaust
Old 01-22-2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by whiteflash,Jan 22 2011, 04:30 PM
No it's not mis-leading at all, please stop arguing for the sake of arguing. This part meets all the requirements an individual part needs to be smog legal. The installation and use of it, is the responsibility of the owner, not of the part. This part is CARB legal, it has a CARB EO #, end of story. If you do not meet the requirements for replacing your cat, that is NOT an issue with the cat itself. Get it?

I wish Asura made everything in my car. His (their) work is beyond top notch. Now you just need to get his 3" exhaust
I think you need to go back and re-read what I wrote. Just because it's CARB legal it doesn't mean I can legally take the OEM off my 06 that's working perfectly and replace with an aftermarket Asura on my car and be in compliance with California CARB laws. What don't you get about that?

If my OEM was damaged, stolen, or if my car had over 70,000 miles or was 7 years older and I went for a smog test, And the tester identified my cat as not working properly and in effect keeping my car from passing an emission system, THEN I could go out and buy a cat from Asura or any other cat that has a CARB EO# and install. The fact that it's CARB legal and has a CARB EO# doesn't make it legal to install. What part of that was unclear to you?
Old 01-22-2011, 03:28 PM

Point is, unless you meet those criteria, you are no more legal with a CARB approved cat than you are with a test pipe.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:32 PM

And BTW, I wasn't arguing. I was commenting. Why did I comment on that? Because I wanted to. Gotta problem with that?

Edit: Disgustipated, sorry to go off on your thread. good luck with the cat, it's a nice piece. unsubscribing.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitt,Jan 22 2011, 04:27 PM
I think you need to go back and re-read what I wrote. Just because it's CARB legal it doesn't mean I can legally take the OEM off my 06 that's working perfectly and replace with an aftermarket Asura on my car and be in compliance with California CARB laws. What don't you get about that?

If my OEM was damaged, stolen, or if my car had over 70,000 miles or was 7 years older and I went for a smog test, And the tester identified my cat as not working properly and in effect keeping my car from passing an emission system, THEN I could go out and buy a cat from Asura or any other cat that has a CARB EO# and install. The fact that it's CARB legal and has a CARB EO# doesn't make it legal to install. What part of that was unclear to you?
See the issue here is you seem to think that CARB and Smog are synonymous, they are not. Smog laws are set by BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair), and while the BAR may infact use CARB standards they are not the same.

The item in question (Asura's High Flow Cat) meets ALL CARB requirements, that is why it is CARB legal, and was issued a CARB EO #.

Just because it is CARB legal does NOT mean you will pass smog testing with it. As you've stated BAR has set OTHER requirements for this item being used. This item has been approved and is legal by the California Air Resource Board, that's why it was issued a legal identification. That does not mean, nor is it entirely related to the laws that BAR has set forth. What don't you understand about that? I'm not trying to argue, but you're presenting some wickedly false information:

Cliffs:
1) This item is CARB legal
2) Because it is CARB legal does not in anyway reflect whether your vehicle has legal reason to use this item, set forth by BAR.

Understand?
Old 01-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

You guys live pretty close to each other. Just go and brawl it out. Moving on, I replaced my DC Sports header that came with my car and put on an OEM header that I got. It quieted the exhaust down even further and smoothed it out, and now it's even better.

So the HFC works well and quiets down even aftermarket headers, and has an even better effect used with the OEM header.

Oh, and I took pics of the Asura HFC now that it's burned in and on my car while putting the OEM header on. I'll post it up shortly. Hint: beautiful!
Old 01-23-2011, 05:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitt,Jan 22 2011, 01:09 PM
So you don't think the Berk would get away with passing through one of those or during an actual smog check? Any smell resembling TP at all?
Oops ... I wasn't thinking straight. My brain was still thinking of a test pipe while we were talking about HFCs.

My sense of smell is so poor that I've never really detected anything bad from my test pipe.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Disgustipated,Jan 23 2011, 03:20 AM
So the HFC works well and quiets down even aftermarket headers, and has an even better effect used with the OEM header.
You really shouldn't say that this HFC will quiet anything down, since it will make some combinations even louder. Every combo of exhausts and headers will react to a test pipe or HFC differently.

Quick Reply: Asura Design 3" High Flow Cat Mini-review