S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Asura Design 3" High Flow Cat Mini-review

Old 01-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sakai,Jan 21 2011, 11:47 AM
i called them and they said i can order over the phone for $285 plus shipping...is that the price u guys got it for?
Yes, that's the price. It should only take a day or two to get to you since Asura is in SoCal.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by gernby,Jan 21 2011, 01:17 PM
Do they make a 63mm and 70mm version? How does their design compare to the Berk HFC? Is the catalyst similar to the one used in the Berk (Magnaflow?)? I just received a BNIB Berk HFC yesterday, and am REALLY surprised at how pourous the catalyst is. I doubt it would pass any actual emissions testing.
You can have a 63 or 70mm version made. The design is similar to Berk HFC but higher quality, and the catalyst is equal/better than the Magnaflow core that the Berk uses.

The Asura is CARB legal so it will pass any visual inspection, and I'm sure it won't have any problems actually passing smog. I should go get a smog pre-test done and see how it holds up.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Even if the Asura is CARB approved that doesn't necessarily make it legal for all cars. Car has to be more than 7 years old and have over 70K miles for starters, but there are other requirements as well:
(D) The vehicle has a legitimate need for replacement of the existing converter that has been established and documented by the installer.
here is the complete list: http://www.car-sound.com/04basics/04carb.asp
Old 01-21-2011, 11:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thumbs up for asura, I have the tp and exhaust
Old 01-21-2011, 11:59 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Vitt,Jan 22 2011, 01:16 AM
Even if the Asura is CARB approved that doesn't necessarily make it legal for all cars. Car has to be more than 7 years old and have over 70K miles for starters, but there are other requirements as well: here is the complete list: http://www.car-sound.com/04basics/04carb.asp
Allow me to assert a little real talk here: police do not truly understand or even know the laws they're enforcing. do you think a police officer is going to know those silly guidelines for CARB? No. Do you think he's going to get on his hands and knees to check whether a cat is in place or not? No. Do you think he's going to freak out if he popped my hood and sees my K&N intake with its CARB legal sticker? No.

So with all of that in mind, if you've got a high flow cat that doesn't stink or give any outward signs of being modified, do you think its even going to be an issue that's brought up? Think about it. Cops notice the test pipe smell, but they'll automatically assume the car has a (stock) cat if it smells/acts like it does with the Asura HFC. There is absolutely no way to tell without jacking up the car whether or not the car has a stock cat or HFC judging by outward appearances and behaviors.

This is not even a concern. The part is CARB exempt and passes visual inspection, and that's what matters. Not to mention that it'd only be an issue in California.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:30 AM

^^ I agree with everything you say. I wouldn't be concerned about being stopped by a cop. But the statement that it is CARB legal is a bit misleading because it could be interpreted as a part that could just be slapped on without any other stipulation. Hopefully a tester would just let it go but if he notices it is an aftermarket he could as for the documentation as stipulated in that link.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't some high population areas in CA have emissions check points setup randomly, where they actually monitor the emissions as you drive between optic sensors? If so, I would expect the cops at those sites to be fully aware of the laws.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:09 AM

So you don't think the Berk would get away with passing through one of those or during an actual smog check? Any smell resembling TP at all?
Old 01-22-2011, 09:09 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Vitt,Jan 22 2011, 08:30 AM
^^ I agree with everything you say. I wouldn't be concerned about being stopped by a cop. But the statement that it is CARB legal is a bit misleading because it could be interpreted as a part that could just be slapped on without any other stipulation. Hopefully a tester would just let it go but if he notices it is an aftermarket he could as for the documentation as stipulated in that link.
Well, it IS CARB legal, which means that you can havd it on your car while having it smogged. I have had my car smogged with a CARB legal header and all the smog place did was write down the CARB number to prove that they allowed it to pass visual inspection + cover their own ass. So i'd be willing to bet that's the case nearly everywhere, unless they're some sort of smog Nazi. In that case, they shouldn't be getting your money.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:16 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by gernby,Jan 22 2011, 10:04 AM
Don't some high population areas in CA have emissions check points setup randomly, where they actually monitor the emissions as you drive between optic sensors? If so, I would expect the cops at those sites to be fully aware of the laws.
I've never seen one but yes, they exist. I would guess that they wouldn't detect anything amiss with the HFC on.

@vitt: nope, there is absolutely no testpipe smell at all. I'm not sure how a Berk would hold up in a smog test.

Maybe i really should get a free smog pre-test and see if the HFC raises any flags.

Quick Reply: Asura Design 3" High Flow Cat Mini-review