S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Ap2 Tunning - Help

Old 06-15-2010, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ap2 Tunning - Help

Hey guys, i've started doing some minor work to my car when i first got it, and it seems to be bittin me in the ass a little. I got single free-flow exhaust, aftermarket header, and injen cold air intake, so my mechanic (with his boosted s2k whos helping me install everything) said we need switch out the spark plugs because they weren't holding up properly in the 6,300 rpm range. I swapped them out to Iridium Champions, but after 2 weeks i started realizing that there was a misfire when under 3,000 rpm. So i took it to honda so they could tune it to the right ratio to run with those spark plugs and after 3 days they call me and go "we need to put stock ones back in and run more test, you cant change spark plugs on a car like this"
I told him to leave my car alone and i'd pick it up in the morning, i wanted to get my car tuned for more mid range power so i said might as well do it now as well.
Called the shop here in FL (my mechanic lives up in CT i moved down from there recently) and they said they would be happy to do it but i need to get one of the management system. They suggested Hondata.
I have heard the AFC neo is practical for this as well but its a piggy back on the old system and not a new one and its easy to **** with settings that people like me (not the most car experienced) shouldn't be playing with.

So whats a good management system to buy to have my Ap2 tuned with those minor N/A mods.

I am also aware it would make sense to have a A/F guage installed around this time as well and used for the tuning at the same time rather than purchasing it later and than retunning it to run the proper A/F ratios....
Anyone know have a suggestion for that as well??
Old 06-15-2010, 10:17 AM

Since you have a 2004 S2k, Hondata K-pro or AEM EMS are the ones I highly recommend.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:28 AM

Hondata K-pro ok i will look into that. Ive read that there are several stages on Hodata too...
Old 06-15-2010, 11:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you can find someone in your area that is good with Greddy eManage, that would be a more affordable choice than the AEM EMS or K-Pro. I don't think you'll be able to get much from an Apexi NEO, since the AP2's run much more lean from the factory than the early AP1's. Basically, you don't have any room to play with.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't see any reason why your stock plugs wouldn't work though. Your mechanic seems a bit shady.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Moddiction,Jun 15 2010, 02:51 PM
I don't see any reason why your stock plugs wouldn't work though. Your mechanic seems a bit shady.
Sounds like he was recommending a colder heat range due to knock retard, or something. If so, I would totally agree with that. I believe people should run the coldest plug they can get away with. However, I'd stick with the NGK BKR8EIX.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

aem ems
/thread
Old 06-15-2010, 01:57 PM

My mechanic is actually a really good friend of mine, we go back for years and he knows his ish.... Tons of moded cars, its his life. Supra's, Evos, Hatchbacks S2k Rx7's you name it. He did tons of installs on my car for free he works and is a partial owner of a restoration shop...
He got me the spark plugs because my spark plugs werent keeping up when the car hit high v-tec...

Old 06-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Former Sponsor

I think you just misunderstood what your friend was saying about the spark plugs. Any spark plug will "keep up".
Old 06-15-2010, 03:41 PM

Again im not a master of mechanics, this is my first sports car and im only 19 so bare with me, but he did say something was inadequate with the stock spark plugs when on the higher rpm range.

Quick Reply: Ap2 Tunning - Help