S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

AP2 transmission in AP1?

Old 11-06-2008, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP2 transmission in AP1?

Hey, I have a 2000 with a bad tranny. I want to put an ap2 transmission in but I was wondering what all is involved. I have read a few things here and there but its hard to get solid info about what I need to do..

I have read that you must;

match the last four numbers of the serial on the ap2 to the ap1 for it to fit.

take the ap1 companion flange out and press it in to the ap2 transmission so that my drive shaft will bolt up (differnt bolt sizes on drive shafts)

use my existing transmission mounts because the ap2 mounts are too big.

can anyone verify this before I go and buy a transmission? and am I missing anything. I honestly cant remember where I have read all this. BUt i have heard of guys doing it. thanks.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:06 AM

AP2 Tranny should bolt straight in. When I did mine, I bought the AP2 drive shaft and diff so I didn't have to worry about things not connecting. But if you just want to buy the tranny, all you have to do is swap the companion flange like you said in your post and everything should fit fine.

I've never heard of the last 4 digit of the serial number thing.. I know I didn't even look at mine when I had it installed.

It was one of the best upgrades besides gears for an AP1 IMO.. especially if you have to get your tranny replaced anyway.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S20004ME_PDX,Nov 6 2008, 06:06 PM
It was one of the best upgrades besides gears for an AP1 IMO..
Could you please elaborate? How does an Ap1 benefit from an Ap2 tranny?
Old 11-06-2008, 08:03 AM

Could you please elaborate? How does an Ap1 benefit from an Ap2 tranny?
Ap1 has less torque than Ap2, but the AP2 tranny's 1st through 4th gear is shorter than stock AP1 tranny, so for acceleration, AP1 will benefit from this tranny swap just like if they did the final drive gears. The bonus of course is that, in an AP2 tranny, the 5th and 6th gear is longer, so for high way cruising, we will save more gas since our RPM will be running a little lower at cruising speeds.

The carbon syncros in the AP2 tranny makes the car shift like butter once its warmed up.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 11-07-2008, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by S20004ME_PDX,Nov 6 2008, 12:03 PM
Ap1 has less torque than Ap2, but the AP2 tranny's 1st through 4th gear is shorter than stock AP1 tranny, so for acceleration, AP1 will benefit from this tranny swap just like if they did the final drive gears. The bonus of course is that, in an AP2 tranny, the 5th and 6th gear is longer, so for high way cruising, we will save more gas since our RPM will be running a little lower at cruising speeds.

The carbon syncros in the AP2 tranny makes the car shift like butter once its warmed up.
I agree. The gear ratio difference definitely is a big plus. Honda achieved the shorter effective ratio by lowering the secondary gear ratio for the first 4 gears, while keeping the final drive and actual gear ratios same for 1 to 4th gears.

The 5th and 6th gear ratios were taller though.

Anyhow, the AP2 transmission is also better built (material-wise) with the carbon synchros. The shift feel is better, and the synchros are also supposed to be stronger.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:49 AM

I'm actually doing this sway. How hard is it to "press" the companion flange into the transmission? Do I need some kind of special tool or will a mallet suffice?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:46 AM

For those of you who have swapped a ap2 tranny have you had any problems due to the swap? idk if its possible but maybe cel lights or anything like that? wierd noises? ebrake?

i presume as long as you do the job right then everything should be peachy aye?
Old 12-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My friend who is also on this forum S2VTEK, did this on his AP1 the gear ratio is WAY Better and everything should bolt right in. Or if you are that worried about the difference, take the internals from the AP2 tranny and put it into the AP1 Tranny bellhousing it fits directly.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-03-2010, 08:04 PM

Someone I talked to said that the only gears that are different are 2nd and 3rd, is that true? Can someone verify what the gear ratio is for each gear?

I am going to hopefully do just a used ap2 trans rather than rebuilding my trans... Long term how do people who have done the swap like it?

Quick Reply: AP2 transmission in AP1?