S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

AP2 Taillights: WHY THE CONDENSATION!?!?!?

Old 04-27-2010, 03:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default AP2 Taillights: WHY THE CONDENSATION!?!?!?

2 years ago I installed brand new AP2 tails in my AP1. i'm wondering why both sides have collected so much moisture within. i popped one lens off fully intact (whew!) but i have a feeling that it will turn out ghetto if i put it back together myself. just going to get some new ones to keep my life simple.

my question is...why did my AP2 tails collect so much moisture in the first place? i did reuse my AP1 bulbs and ghetto fab them to fit in the AP2 light...could this have left open spaces for moisture to get inside the light? should I have just gotten the AP2 bulbs instead? when i took off the lens, the seal seemed consistent all the way around the light with no leaks. if i'm going to be paying ~$200 per light, i need to know what to do to avoid this happening again.

thanks!
Old 04-27-2010, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you didn't put any gasket between the foam gasket and the body of the car. search for Ap2 tail lights DIY.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:10 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

i know about 2 years ago i got a replacement tail and it got moisture right away. i brought it to the body shops attention and they got me a new one and i had to wait a month because honda said there was a bad batch that collected moisture.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:55 PM

One of mine has moisture. I took it off the car a few weeks ago, set it in the sun for a few hours, checked the gasket and everything. A couple weeks later, I have moisture again. Angry!
Old 04-27-2010, 07:59 PM

Check the rubber seals between the body and the the tail light.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:29 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,406 Likes on 1,047 Posts

After I did my conversion, my tail lights got a TON of water in them the next day when it rained. I needed to put in a bunch of cellophane/neoprene weather stripping (autozone, hardware stores, wherever) to keep the water out. I tested it by installing the weather stripping and then spraying water all over the tail light (be heavy with the water) and seeing if there were any water droplets.

To remove the mositure, I first just shook out all the water I could and then I baked my tail lights in the oven at around 170-200 degrees. This won't melt the glue but it will make the water evaporate. I had to leave them in there for a long ass time.

One of them cleaned up nice with no water spots at all. The other one had a ton of spots and I had to open and reseal it. NIGHTMARE!!!!!!

If you do open and reseal them, make sure you use BLACK silicone maker...and use a very fine tip to make ensure that you ONLY get the silicone where you want it. If you put on too much, it will bulge out and make your tail light look like garbage. Don't ask how I know lol. I had to re-do it. Ugh.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by FitzyS2k,Apr 27 2010, 09:09 PM
you didn't put any gasket between the foam gasket and the body of the car. search for Ap2 tail lights DIY.
hmmm...didn't know that i had to use any sealant between the foam ap2 gasket and the body! will do that this time. thanks!
Old 04-28-2010, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by B serious,Apr 28 2010, 12:29 AM
After I did my conversion, my tail lights got a TON of water in them the next day when it rained. I needed to put in a bunch of cellophane/neoprene weather stripping (autozone, hardware stores, wherever) to keep the water out. I tested it by installing the weather stripping and then spraying water all over the tail light (be heavy with the water) and seeing if there were any water droplets.

To remove the mositure, I first just shook out all the water I could and then I baked my tail lights in the oven at around 170-200 degrees. This won't melt the glue but it will make the water evaporate. I had to leave them in there for a long ass time.

One of them cleaned up nice with no water spots at all. The other one had a ton of spots and I had to open and reseal it. NIGHTMARE!!!!!!

If you do open and reseal them, make sure you use BLACK silicone maker...and use a very fine tip to make ensure that you ONLY get the silicone where you want it. If you put on too much, it will bulge out and make your tail light look like garbage. Don't ask how I know lol. I had to re-do it. Ugh.
i don't understand..where exactly did you put the weather stripping? where the gasket is supposed to go between the taillight and the body?
Old 04-28-2010, 10:56 AM

First install foam gasket to back of the tail lights. buy some liquid sealant and put it on the backside of the foam gasket that buts to the body. install lights wait a few hours to dry and then remove tail light but let the foam gasket stick on the body and then check to see if there are any gaps in between the foam and the body of the car and fill in as needed. hopes this makes sense. it's alot easier to say in person.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by FitzyS2k,Apr 28 2010, 01:56 PM
First install foam gasket to back of the tail lights. buy some liquid sealant and put it on the backside of the foam gasket that buts to the body. install lights wait a few hours to dry and then remove tail light but let the foam gasket stick on the body and then check to see if there are any gaps in between the foam and the body of the car and fill in as needed. hopes this makes sense. it's alot easier to say in person.
makes perfect sense thanks for the tip! i'm also gonna put some silicone on the backside of the light bc there were a few spots the water leaked out of...not even by my doing, it's just the way the light was designed

Quick Reply: AP2 Taillights: WHY THE CONDENSATION!?!?!?