S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

AP2 -> AP1.Soft top material

Old 10-28-2020, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP2 -> AP1.Soft top material

Just like the title says. Trying to swap the soft top fabric on my MY06 to a MY00 w/ glass window. Will it be a direct fit? Everything else I found was a AP1 -> AP2 replacement. Hopefully trying not to do a hardware change. Just the fabric itself
Old 10-28-2020, 02:27 PM

Received 646 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Capoair
Just like the title says. Trying to swap the soft top fabric on my MY06 to a MY00 w/ glass window. Will it be a direct fit? Everything else I found was a AP1 -> AP2 replacement. Hopefully trying not to do a hardware change. Just the fabric itself
00 & 01 was plastic rear window. If there’s an 00 with a glass window it’s already been replaced. But yes, the top will fit.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle
00 & 01 was plastic rear window. If there’s an 00 with a glass window it’s already been replaced. But yes, the top will fit.
i believe it has already been replaced or I’ll just do it in house. Thank you!
Old 02-06-2023, 03:44 PM

Exclamation I replaced my AP1 soft top with an AP2 soft top - Please Help

Does anyone have any further information regarding this.

I recently purchased a 2001 AP1 that had the original top, A few techs had mentioned to upgrade the top to the AP2 top with the glass window which I did.

I now have the AP2 top on my AP1 however it will not open all the way, it opens about 95% and you can press on the frame and it does depress but not by itself .

Prior to the top replacement it would not open completely which from my understanding was due to the elastic straps being deteriorated.

Now it sticks out even further and I have replaced the elastic straps with the Modifry straps.

When all the rear trim panels are removed it does sit correctly, we had a tough time with the frame rail that sits right above the window(We couldn't figure out where it goes) on the AP1 top there was the sleeve the wraps around the frame rail holding it in place, on the AP2 top there is only a loose fitting sleeve that the frame rail freely sits in and when the top is up you can move that rail back and forth about 3 inches or so.

Please Advise.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:28 AM

Received 154 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by HamachiAP1
Does anyone have any further information regarding this.

I recently purchased a 2001 AP1 that had the original top, A few techs had mentioned to upgrade the top to the AP2 top with the glass window which I did.

I now have the AP2 top on my AP1 however it will not open all the way, it opens about 95% and you can press on the frame and it does depress but not by itself .

Prior to the top replacement it would not open completely which from my understanding was due to the elastic straps being deteriorated.

Now it sticks out even further and I have replaced the elastic straps with the Modifry straps.

When all the rear trim panels are removed it does sit correctly, we had a tough time with the frame rail that sits right above the window(We couldn't figure out where it goes) on the AP1 top there was the sleeve the wraps around the frame rail holding it in place, on the AP2 top there is only a loose fitting sleeve that the frame rail freely sits in and when the top is up you can move that rail back and forth about 3 inches or so.

Please Advise.
I have an AP2 with an AP2 top, seems to me it doesn't open all the way, but I believe that's just the way it is. I'm sure someone will speak up if they think I'm wrong.
Old 02-07-2023, 05:18 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,232 Likes on 1,076 Posts

OEM roof not folding completely is the warn out elastic straps between the roof bars -- easy fix with an available kit. My 2006 OEM roof developed tears on both "shoulders" and was professionally replaced by @2poor2mod with a Robbins roof. Tight but closes when up, folds normally. I believe installation is critical when replacing the roof.

-- Chuck
Old 02-07-2023, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
OEM roof not folding completely is the warn out elastic straps between the roof bars -- easy fix with an available kit. My 2006 OEM roof developed tears on both "shoulders" and was professionally replaced by @2poor2mod with a Robbins roof. Tight but closes when up, folds normally. I believe installation is critical when replacing the roof.

-- Chuck
So mine had a Robbins top installed in 2021, mine is tight but closes all the way going up. Seems like it could go down farther into the rear "pocket" when down, which is what I was talking about.
Old 02-07-2023, 06:09 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,232 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Mine is the same vintage. Check that the elastic straps are there and still elastic.Installer is vital.

-- Chuck
Old 02-07-2023, 06:09 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,862 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by A.O.
So mine had a Robbins top installed in 2021, mine is tight but closes all the way going up. Seems like it could go down farther into the rear "pocket" when down, which is what I was talking about.
Modifry soft top straps - https://modifry.com/index.php?route=...&product_id=86

Old 02-07-2023, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Mine is the same vintage. Check that the elastic straps are there and still elastic.Installer is vital.

-- Chuck
Do me a favor and take a pic of the top when its down, I will do the same and we can compare please.

Quick Reply: AP2 -> AP1.Soft top material