S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Anyone try replacing leather on shift knob?

Old 01-18-2010, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone try replacing leather on shift knob?

I have an OEM leather wrapped shift knob that has worn out leather.

Has anyone ever managed to re-wrap the thing? i have perforated leather but i can't get the knob apart (it's made of 3 pieces of metal). anyone know if the knob can be separated?
Old 01-18-2010, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a nice stock 2002 shift knob in a box, i swapped mine out long ago for a lower countersunk one, there are weighted counter sunk knobs, last i knew moddiction was selling 'em cheap, i'd just go that route, pm him...
Old 01-18-2010, 10:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd guess you only need to remove the leather, not disassemble the metal. Looking at the stitches, a shoe maker or luggage repair guy could be of help.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:01 AM

not looking to buy a new shift knob...i already have a new CR one on the car.

as for the stock one, i have the leather removed from it. the problem is that the leather is sandwiched between the 3 pieces of metal and i can get the shift knob disassembled.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:32 AM

it's probably not meant to come apart, so I'd unfortunately say you're stuck
Old 01-18-2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Black Knight,Jan 18 2010, 12:32 PM
it's probably not meant to come apart, so I'd unfortunately say you're stuck
oh well, i figured i'd give it a try since the knob was already screwed before i tried ripping the leather off
Old 04-09-2020, 07:04 AM

So, I was looking for the same answer and I went and bought a used shift knob from ebay. I dissected the shift knob using a cut off wheel. Turns out, BOTH aluminum pieces top and bottom are PRESSED on. Behind the leather, there is a STEEL portion which HOLDS both TOP and Bottom Aluminum pieces. You will need to use a hydraulic press with a bearing crimp to get both pieces off. THEN send the steel portion out to a upholstery shop the have it re-wrapped. After you get it back, you can use a vice to press on the top and bottom pieces back on the steel portion.
The following users liked this post:
Mr.Matchbox (04-10-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 10:41 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

This seems like a worthy thread resurrection. So, would something like a bearing separator potentially work to split the pressed pieces apart?

HF bearing separator

Can you post photos of the dissected stock shift knob? I bet many would be interested just to know how it was put together, even if they don't have any intention of refurbing the leather. Just something interesting to know about.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
This seems like a worthy thread resurrection. So, would something like a bearing separator potentially work to split the pressed pieces apart?

HF bearing separator

Can you post photos of the dissected stock shift knob? I bet many would be interested just to know how it was put together, even if they don't have any intention of refurbing the leather. Just something interesting to know about.

Here’s how it’s pieced together

Old 04-09-2020, 11:31 AM

Default Dissected shift knob

Now that I have time to think about it, rather than using a bearing separator, I think I’m gonna try to use heat in the aluminum pieces to expand them off the steel portion. Then send the steel portion out to a upholstery shop for re wrap in leather.

Quick Reply: Anyone try replacing leather on shift knob?