S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Anyone replaced stock mufflers

Old 09-08-2008, 04:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Anyone replaced stock mufflers

Hi

has anyone replaced the stock mufflers with magnaflows? - im looking for a soundclip and what they sound like if people could explain?

cheers
Old 09-08-2008, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Spugen dual oval exhaust that I installed 5-6 years ago that utilizes Magnaflow mufflers. I love the sound......deeper and throatier than stock, very limited mid-range drone, sounds like an angry hornet in VTEC, but is not TOO loud (i.e., invidia, etc.).
Old 09-08-2008, 09:56 AM

I have a Magnaflow catback. I love it .real deep sound. I would bet you could get the sound you were looking for with a muffler change and a resonator muffler delete.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:09 AM

i did this with magnaflow glass packs on my old rx7. It was the loudest thing on earth. Very little drone. It was perfect.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, i just bought an invidia N1 and love it.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:29 PM

Hi guys, thanks for your info :thumbsup:

Im not after anything that loud really maybe a little louder, just a more sportier sound, its a daily drive so loud is no good

You got any sound clips?

What happens if i leave the resonator in?
Old 09-08-2008, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ajs_s2k,Sep 8 2008, 12:29 PM
Hi guys, thanks for your info :thumbsup:

Im not after anything that loud really maybe a little louder, just a more sportier sound, its a daily drive so loud is no good

You got any sound clips?

What happens if i leave the resonator in?
If you are looking for a little more sound you have 2 very cheap but good options.

1. Resonator delete. For about $40 (on average) you can have the resonator (the small muffler before the exhaust splits) cut out and replaced with straight pipe. I have this done and am very happy with the sound.

2. Test Pipe. This is a bolt in part which is good because it is not permanent. It replaces your cat with straight pipe. Costs $150+ but will actually provide a few extra hp(the stock Cat is already very high flowing) and some noise. Downsides are emissions, stinky exhaust, possible CEL issues.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by 21337R,Sep 8 2008, 08:58 PM
If you are looking for a little more sound you have 2 very cheap but good options.

1. Resonator delete. For about $40 (on average) you can have the resonator (the small muffler before the exhaust splits) cut out and replaced with straight pipe. I have this done and am very happy with the sound.

2. Test Pipe. This is a bolt in part which is good because it is not permanent. It replaces your cat with straight pipe. Costs $150+ but will actually provide a few extra hp(the stock Cat is already very high flowing) and some noise. Downsides are emissions, stinky exhaust, possible CEL issues.
Thank you, do you have any soundclips?

Sounds good
Old 09-08-2008, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGh8O...eature=related

here is a video i found on youtube that shows the resonator delete and then again with test pipe added.

Keep in mind that it sounds entirely different in person and inside the car.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 21337R,Sep 8 2008, 12:58 PM

I too have done the resonator delete mod and I love it!!!

To sum it up, with the resonator removed now the engine sound balances with the exhaust......... great cheap mod!
Old 09-09-2008, 12:20 PM

Thumbs up

so do I go to a local muffler shop to get the resonator delete?...

Quick Reply: Anyone replaced stock mufflers