S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Another "no more CDV thread"

Old 03-21-2008, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by claudios2k,Mar 18 2008, 08:58 AM
I have been reading that some people remove their CDV. Some say go for it and others dont... Is the clutch wear that much more noticable?? I have an 07 and was considering, but after reading all these posts, i am even more confused!!!

I dont really track the car, but like to do some highway runs. And quick shifting is important.

Please give your opinions... dont know what to do!!

Claudio
it's a different car with this little mod, better out of the hole and quicker shifts
Old 03-22-2008, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely get rid of it
Old 12-02-2008, 12:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how much is a new diff, and are the AP1 guys having to change them out??
Old 12-02-2008, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by LubedKoala,Mar 17 2008, 11:26 PM
If you look at the changes made to the S2000 over the last couple of years, the handling of the car has become more tuned for daily driving and comfort rather than track. They lowered the 9K redline to 8K, they softened the suspension, they changed the steering ratio, they added the CDV to lower the strain on the differential and drivetrain. However, the clutch takes the hit for it instead. IMO it is just another change implemented to lower perfomance and increase lifespan.
to be clear here Honda didnt lower the redline of AP2s to " tame " them
Old 12-02-2008, 07:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted521,Mar 18 2008, 12:50 PM
just did mine a few weeks ago also, now it shifts like my ap1
What everyone aims for... ap1>ap2

EDIT:
Originally Posted by lowrthnu2.2,Dec 2,2008, 1:49AM
to be clear here Honda didnt lower the redline of AP2s to " tame " them
This video actually has a lot of good information regarding the ap1/ap2 differences, talked about by Keiichi Tsuchiya, and Tatsuru Ichishima.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q3ckqYlK7M

Old 12-02-2008, 07:52 AM

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts

i have an 08 and i have only noticed it once when i went to slam a gear really hard and fast. but i rarely ever do that. but i have learned the car and can slam a gear pretty fast without having the clutch slip. and the car still hits hard when engaging. IT ONLY HAPPENS IF YOU TRY TO SLAM A GEAR AS HARD AND FAST AS POSSIBLE. WELL FOR ME AT LEAST
Old 12-02-2008, 07:57 AM

IT ONLY HAPPENS IF YOU TRY TO SLAM A GEAR AS HARD AND FAST AS POSSIBLE
That's what wins races! On MY04 a speed shift at redline is all it takes for it to feather my clutch in. Even when not slamming, but are shifting fast. If you shift slow you lose vtech, slow down, and the opponent is now ahead. I wish honda treated their diff. situtation better than this half-assed workaround.

On a side note, I had a platinum mechanic at honda switch my '04 CDV with an '03, but there was just one problem. The guy had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. He said the car doesn't have a CDV and they couldn't even locate the part on their computers. The job was never done and they thought I didn't know what I was talking about! I even stated that it was part of the slave cylinder. Could this part be called something else?
Old 12-02-2008, 10:33 AM

That's what wins races! On MY04 a speed shift at redline is all it takes for it to feather my clutch in. Even when not slamming, but are shifting fast. If you shift slow you lose vtech, slow down, and the opponent is now ahead
ok how come when i redline the car and let the "redline indicator" blink twice and hit the next gear im still in vtec and the clutch DID NOT slip. You can stay in vtec when shifting WITHOUT slamming gears like a maniac lol. and besides you shouldnt be street racing to begin with lol ohh not to be an ass but VTECH is a phone......
Old 12-02-2008, 11:51 AM

You know, I have really had no problems with CDV unless I have a sloppy shift. Otherwise, I can row through the gears quick enough without burning anything. This debate can rage on for ages, I really think it is about personal preference more than anything.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by geminimech,Dec 2 2008, 12:51 PM
You know, I have really had no problems with CDV unless I have a sloppy shift. Otherwise, I can row through the gears quick enough without burning anything. This debate can rage on for ages, I really think it is about personal preference more than anything.
well said.... i agree

Quick Reply: Another "no more CDV thread"