S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Adjusting front of hardtop?

Old 12-23-2007, 09:20 AM
E-Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting front of hardtop?

I bought my car used from a friend, and he had the dealer install a hardtop for him when he purchased the car. It was obvious they just kind of threw it on there as the gap above the body was quite large. I finally decided to see if I could adjust it. I can, but I discovered another issue. It appears as though the top front of the top does not fit close enough to the windshield frame. Is there a way to adjust this so it will sit closer? I think it sits too far back which causes the mating surfaces of the gaskets all around the top to not match up.

Here are some pics. Please note the rear latches are not closed, but even when closed the gaskets do not match up. It's like the top needs to move 1/2" forward.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:51 AM
E-Z

Does anyone know if the front lock handles bolted to the hard top are adjustable? I think if the lock handles moved back some then everything would line up perfect. Then again, maybe that's the problem, I'm a bit of a perfectionist and maybe the OEM hardtop can't be mounted perfect?
Old 12-23-2007, 01:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Being an 05 this is a little

I would have originally said check the HT strikers....(being that the older models had issues with the metal being softer than the updated ones. this would cause a groove in the metal and therefore not a good seal)

It doesn't take but a few minutes to take the plastic piece off the top of the windshield to see if it adjusts.

someone else was asking the same thing. there problem though was the worn Strikers.

I just can't remember if it is adjustable or not, it's been a while since I replaced mine. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Check the DIYs

there is a HT Striker replacement How To, you may be able to see if there is a way to adjust it through the pics.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:57 PM

You do all the adjust with the side catchers. Take off the pillars and lossen the 3 bolts on each side then adjust the top. After you adjust it you may start having a rattle from the front latches, you can pit something in front of the catcher (a small peice of foam or single sided foam tape) that will help pull the latches tighter

Hope that makes sense.

Good luck!
Old 12-23-2007, 05:17 PM
E-Z

Originally Posted by neveronlines2k,Dec 23 2007, 07:57 PM
You do all the adjust with the side catchers.
That's what I was afraid of. The gap between the bottom of the top and the body is fine now that I adjusted the side catchers, but the entire top needs to move 1/4" to 1/2" forward. The front lock handles are up snug with the top front catchers, so I have not adjustment there. It's already as far forward as it will go.

I did take the front catcher off today to see if there was any adjustment there, and there isn't any. Just two screws on each one with no adjustment. I was hoping there would be some adjustment on the front latches that are attached to the top, but there doesn't appear to be any adjustment there either.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

okay well, lets see the HT Strikers on the Windshield frame.......they may be worn.....that's the only thing I can think of.....

<- No HT BTW
Old 12-23-2007, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that's a lot of gap. You adjust with the triple bolts on the side catchers but I am not sure if there is that much mobility.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:14 AM

E-Z - I know this sounds dumb, but I would try ordering new Catchers from Hard Top Guy I have an 04 and the new catchers he sent me were actually a little shorter than the OEM ones that were there. They are not that pricey so it would be worth a shot.

Before you do that though, you could try taking the othere 2 bolts off the side catchers (the ones facing up and down) there is some play there too, I know its a pain and will probably mean taking off all 5 bolts off each side and starting all over, I had to mess with mine alot and I ended up buying new latches, Catchers and bolts (my hard top was purchased used though) I probably spent over 10hrs of adjusting and test driving and re-adjusting until I was happy with it

Good Luck and be patient it will fit eventually
Old 12-24-2007, 10:21 AM
E-Z

OK, this is what I have. I took some pics of it when it's all aligned and locked into place.

You would think that the seam/line between the red part of the hardtop and the black window molding would match up with the gap between the body panel and the door. It's about 1/4" off (hardtop is about 1/4" too far to the rear).

From the outside, it appears as though the roof line of the hardtop to the windshield looks fine.

Notice the locks are up snug with the strikers. It can't go anymore forward unless I take the strikers off. Also notice the gap between the weatherstrip on the hardtop and the windshield frame.

And here's a couple pics of the strikers, that I can only assume are the correct one's as this is on an '05.

Is this how it is supposed to be? Any advice?
Old 12-24-2007, 10:24 AM
E-Z

Originally Posted by neveronlines2k,Dec 24 2007, 02:14 PM
E-Z - I know this sounds dumb, but I would try ordering new Catchers from Hard Top Guy I have an 04 and the new catchers he sent me were actually a little shorter than the OEM ones that were there. They are not that pricey so it would be worth a shot.
You posted while I was typing.

I might have to give that a shot. I did unbolt all the hardware on the rear (5 bolts each) just to see if it would make a difference, but it's the fronts that are causing me problems. If I could just move them a little bit everything would line up nicely I think.

Quick Reply: Adjusting front of hardtop?