S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

? about the 4.77 gears

Old 02-09-2010, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? about the 4.77 gears

Im raelly looking to get 4.77 gears in my ap1 looks like its way better than eny bolt on i could add and if i did it would be of the kia but do you have to buy the final gear and the pinion gear as a set or does the final gear 4.77 just fit in where the 4.1 gear is now. ethere way how much should it cost to get put in thanks
Old 02-09-2010, 05:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You will need the ring and pinion, the 4.10 and 4.77 pinion are different. Chances are you will need new bearings for the rear end as well because the old ones will come apart when you take apart the rear end.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:26 AM

also a shop quoted me 250-300 plus parts ill have to order and the top speed is about 135 right with the 4.77
Old 02-09-2010, 07:51 AM

I think the top speed is a little higher than 135 maybe 140/45 ish, if you want to PM S2KY he has installed several sets of 4.77's and also has them in is SC'd ap1...

Cars a damn rocket!
Old 02-09-2010, 08:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

142mph with stock AP1 tire size.
http://www.turnzero.com/technical_resource...gear_calculator
Old 02-09-2010, 08:37 AM

You'll need both the ring and pinion.

It's a fantastic mod - the car really comes alive with it.

Someone will be along soon to tell you that the highway performance sucks and it'll feel like you're simply in a lower gear all the time, 4.57 gears are the best - blah blah blah.

If you can afford to do it, just do it, you wont look back

Old 02-09-2010, 09:38 AM

anything else that needs to be covered when buying gears? wheel bearings? oil seals?
Old 02-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I had 4.77's on my '02, and installed them myself with marcucci's help. You should replace all 3 bearings and seals, but you'll also need a new crush sleeve and a shim set. I suggest having someone who has lots of experience with S2K diffs install them. The pinion depth has to be set perfectly, or you'll be replacing the diff soon.

That said, definitely do more research abotu the trade-offs before getting them. You will enjoy 4.77's around town, but they really do suck on the highway. It is almost exactly like driving around in 5th all the time. Try not using 6th gear for a few weeks to see how you like it. Gas mileage on the hiwhway will drop from about 30 to about 26, but city mileage went up for me from about 21 to 24.

Also, if you compete in any sort of driving events (autocross or track), you'll hate them. You will not be able to keep up with stock geared S2000's anymore. The 4.77's really only improve performance from a stop in a straight line. If you do rolling drag races, you'll also be surprised that slower cars will now be able to whoop your ass at times, depending on how fast you are rolling..
Old 02-09-2010, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by gernby,Feb 9 2010, 07:10 PM
I had 4.77's on my '02, and installed them myself with marcucci's help. You should replace all 3 bearings and seals, but you'll also need a new crush sleeve and a shim set. I suggest having someone who has lots of experience with S2K diffs install them. The pinion depth has to be set perfectly, or you'll be replacing the diff soon.

That said, definitely do more research abotu the trade-offs before getting them. You will enjoy 4.77's around town, but they really do suck on the highway. It is almost exactly like driving around in 5th all the time. Try not using 6th gear for a few weeks to see how you like it. Gas mileage on the hiwhway will drop from about 30 to about 26, but city mileage went up for me from about 21 to 24.

Also, if you compete in any sort of driving events (autocross or track), you'll hate them. You will not be able to keep up with stock geared S2000's anymore. The 4.77's really only improve performance from a stop in a straight line. If you do rolling drag races, you'll also be surprised that slower cars will now be able to whoop your ass at times, depending on how fast you are rolling..
I think your opinion is way off and I've noticed that your voice is the only dissapproving voice when it comes to 4.77 gears - the majority love it.

Perhaps you installed yours wrong. I also note that despite your claim that you hated the gears and you had to give up on autocross, you didn't think to change back to stock gears. Why?

To the OP, have a look on youtube for some impressive vids. This one is my favourite - this is 99.9% how mine sounds and performs;

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/03-s2k-...0-kick_5447.htm
Old 02-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by punchdrunk,Feb 9 2010, 03:30 PM
I think your opinion is way off and I've noticed that your voice is the only dissapproving voice when it comes to 4.77 gears - the majority love it.

Perhaps you installed yours wrong. I also note that despite your claim that you hated the gears and you had to give up on autocross, you didn't think to change back to stock gears.
Gernby has been on the board a long time and has LOTS of experience with the S2000 and modifications to it. I would listen to the man.

There are litterally a dozen threads about different gear changes and there are people who think 4.77/4.56/4.44 is best. Its all a matter of personal opinion. I have seen many posts from people who like there 4.77 but for various reasons (too high rpm's on the highway/ gas mileage/ top end performance) wish they would have maybe chosen a different ratio. And there are those who think those tradeoffs are fine given the way they drive the car.

I might add 4.44's to my SC'd car in the future, 4.77 would be to extreme for me and probably spin the tires too much. But if someone is unsure what they want, what they will do in the future to the car, I'd suggest going less extreme and maybe doing a 4.56/4.57 set. Its the in between for all the choices.

Quick Reply: ? about the 4.77 gears