S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

4.77 Gears and Competition Clutch Impressions

Old 03-27-2007, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dyhppy' date='Mar 27 2007, 04:46 PM
you get used to FI too and you're out much more money
Or you can add a new wastegate spring for 50 bucks ...
Old 03-27-2007, 07:21 PM

Great review! Pardon my mechanical ignorance, but what is the cheapest way to do a simliar clutch upgrade as the OP? I'd like my clutch to have a "meatier" feeling, can I just upgrade the PP and get a light flywheel or do I need to get a whole new clutch in addition to the FW and PP? My stock clutch is in great shape, I just want to improve the feel...without spending too much money
Old 03-28-2007, 06:08 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by superjimbo' date='Mar 27 2007, 09:21 PM
Great review! Pardon my mechanical ignorance, but what is the cheapest way to do a simliar clutch upgrade as the OP? I'd like my clutch to have a "meatier" feeling, can I just upgrade the PP and get a light flywheel or do I need to get a whole new clutch in addition to the FW and PP? My stock clutch is in great shape, I just want to improve the feel...without spending too much money
Expect that 1/2 the cost of a clutch is in labor to install it. If you want to save money, install it yourself.

For this reason, most people try to do an "all at once" approach to a clutch job.

You could get an aftermarket pressure place and flywheel and it would hold better. Keep in mind that the stock friction disk is only about $90 from a dealership so you really aren't saving much.

BTW -- You don't need the flywheel to get a "meatier" grab, the reason for upgrading a flywheel is to get a lighter one that will allow the motor to spin up more freely, typically when the clutch is NOT engaged (Bliping the throttle for a rev-matching down shift. for example.)
Old 03-28-2007, 07:17 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ruexp67' date='Mar 28 2007, 10:08 AM
Expect that 1/2 the cost of a clutch is in labor to install it. If you want to save money, install it yourself.

For this reason, most people try to do an "all at once" approach to a clutch job.
Yup.. that is why I wanted to get it all done at once. I didn't, however, go the route of installing it myself.. some people are probably more "wrench" savy than others.. for me, I wanted to know that it would be done right the first time, and on the off chance that something went wrong, they would be able to fix it.
I think there is a fine line between mfg defect and install defect, and I wanted to make sure that blame was never pointed at me if something happened. Having someone with years of clutch and s2000 specific knowledge made that decision for me pretty simple.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:15 AM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mocky' date='Mar 28 2007, 11:17 AM
I didn't, however, go the route of installing it myself.. some people are probably more "wrench" savy than others.. for me, I wanted to know that it would be done right the first time, and on the off chance that something went wrong, they would be able to fix it.
Come on Motoo tell them the REAL reason someone did it for you. You still don't which end of the wrench to hold.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

what the hell is a wrench? i thought to wrench was a verb.

smartass
Old 03-28-2007, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by ruexp67' date='Mar 28 2007, 06:08 AM

You could get an aftermarket pressure place and flywheel and it would hold better. Keep in mind that the stock friction disk is only about $90 from a dealership so you really aren't saving much.

BTW -- You don't need the flywheel to get a "meatier" grab, the reason for upgrading a flywheel is to get a lighter one that will allow the motor to spin up more freely, typically when the clutch is NOT engaged (Bliping the throttle for a rev-matching down shift. for example.)
Thanks for the answers! So unless your clutch is fried and/or you plan on getting a serious power upgrade (ie. turbo, SC), could you just get a new pressure plate and flywheel without upgrading the stock clutch? Or is there some reason you would need a new clutch when upgrading your FW and PP? Also what are some good brands for FWs and PPs? Last question, if I do the install myself, how much would it cost to upgrade the PP and FW?

Sorry for the newbie questions - not much of a mechanical guy.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:04 PM

If you are not mechanically inclinded, I would NOT reccomend this to be your first DIY job. You have to drop the motor down so you can remove the transmission to replace the clutch.

You can do some searches to find deals on the competion clutch Mocky used. Most will come with a new friction disk, after the plastic alinment tool, it's the cheapest part of the clutch.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:06 PM

How to for a clutch job:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry1036057
Old 03-28-2007, 01:08 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by superjimbo' date='Mar 28 2007, 05:00 PM
Sorry for the newbie questions - not much of a mechanical guy.
Not newbie questions at all... I was in the same boat as you and had a lot of questions as well. If you want additional information, PM SanMarinoCpe . He's the one that answered my 8million questions, got me the parts and worked with Jim on the install.
Hope that helps! If you lived in the area, I'd let you go drive my car and see how it feels (the gears would probably make it feel a bit different, but you'd get the idea)

Quick Reply: 4.77 Gears and Competition Clutch Impressions