S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

4.77 gears for cheap!

Old 04-13-2007, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would save you labor. If your planning on doing it, I would just do it all in one shot.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hardtopguy said in a thread recently that the 4.77 are NOT made by Mazda. I always thought they were but I take his word for it.

The difference between 4.57 and 4.77 in 6th gear on the highway is the difference of 200-300 rpms. It is NEGLIGIBLE. Everyone is so concerned with it but when they ride in it they don't even know the difference.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by VorlonDrow,Apr 13 2007, 08:33 AM
thinking about changing out my gears. Two questions. 1. Performance wise, how different are the 4.56 and 4.77? Im not concerned about whine but how will the higher RPMs on the 4.77 affect engine life? 2. Should I wait till I swap out my LSD to install the gears?
I can't answer #1...all I can infer is that you'll be at higher RPMs given the same gear and same speed. I don't know how to quantify how much extra wear those extra revs will affect engine life.

#2. Labor costs are quite costly. So if it were me, I would definitely wait and kill two diffs with one stone. . I imagine you don't want to be spending the time and money twice...

Eddie.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by afwfjustin,Apr 13 2007, 11:25 AM
Hardtopguy said in a thread recently that the 4.77 are NOT made by Mazda. I always thought they were but I take his word for it.

The difference between 4.57 and 4.77 in 6th gear on the highway is the difference of 200-300 rpms. It is NEGLIGIBLE. Everyone is so concerned with it but when they ride in it they don't even know the difference.
From all that I've read and researched, especially Big Ben's gear thread, the conclusion I've come to is that the 4.77s ARE Mazda gears. I could be wrong, though...nowhere is it stamped "Mazda" on the gears...

BUT, I do wonder why HTG would say they aren't Mazda gears. I'm not saying he's wrong, but I am saying that the info comes from a source that has a vested interest. I'm just skeptical, that's all.

If they aren't Mazda gears, per HTG, then did he cite who made them? I'd be curious to know, because THEY'RE IN MY CAR!

If I had some evidence to believe otherwise, I would be happy to change what I know/believe about the source of the gears.

My bottom line is the following:

--Kia/Mazda/Mystery Manufacturer 4.77s are installed in my car
--I love them so far
--If they stand up and have no problems, then I've save a good bit of $$$
--If they're not made by Mazda but still work fine, I've still saved $$$
--I don't care who makes them in the end...as long as they work as they should.

Eddie.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by gomarlins3,Apr 13 2007, 11:22 AM
I would still rather order them from HTG installed so I knew it was done correctly.

There are LOTS of competent driveline people available..........
Old 04-13-2007, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sarek,Apr 13 2007, 11:11 AM
If you read from the beginning, the kia gear ARE mazda gears. S2000's 4.10, kia's 4.77 are all MADE BY MAZDA.

To clarify Eddie J bought his "Kia" gears (MADE BY MAZDA) from a kia dealership.
hope that clears things up
I did read from the begining sorry if I misunderstood anything, but I was the 3rd of fourth post from the original poster. I wasent sure if he used a gear marketed for the Honda or not, thats all
Old 04-13-2007, 01:48 PM

I had them in my car too Eddie.

All HTG said in that particular thread was "4.77 gears are not made by Mazda" after I made a comment that they were.

It's probably pretty recent, maybe 2-4 days ago.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by afwfjustin,Apr 13 2007, 01:48 PM
I had them in my car too Eddie.

All HTG said in that particular thread was "4.77 gears are not made by Mazda" after I made a comment that they were.

It's probably pretty recent, maybe 2-4 days ago.
Interesting...

I would love to know who makes it if in fact it's not Mazda!

Old 04-13-2007, 02:33 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Madza does not make their own gears either.

So the fact is that the Kia and Mazda gears are close to the same design, but not exactly the same. You can swap them. What everyone has said is that they are made by Mazda (Being the larger of the two manufactures)

So it is a FACT.

Mazda does not make parts for Kia.
Kia does not make parts for Mazda.
Manufacture X does make parts for Kia
Manufacture Y does make parts for Mazda.
Manufacture X and Y may make parts for both.

But I will tell you this, having seen more gears sets at once then anyone else on S2ki.com (HTG excluded) the parts are clearly not made by the same manufacture.

Just becasue it fit, does not mean Madza made the S2000 diff either. But why design something from scratch when changing an existing design is far quicker. Who knows if Honda paid Madza for the design, or if Honda paid a design firm for the design. The only thing any of us is going to prove is that it fits.

Another point of fact is that once someone posts the Mazda Makes the gears, everyone took it as the truth. No one has every had any documented proof. So calling HTG post into question because he sells something is BS. He is not claiming one is better then another. It just states a fact.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:00 PM

I wasn't trying to say that HTG was wrong - I was simply stating that he corrected me in saying that Mazda did not make the gears. I wasn't trying to convey that he thought one was better than the other, or anything stemming from the fact that he sells gears.

I was just trying to correct everyone in the thread so they'd be enlightened as well

Quick Reply: 4.77 gears for cheap!