S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

2001 ap1 performance upgrades...? HELP

Old 02-11-2008, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love the dual look though. would it be basically the same if i simply cut the Y off and ran straight to only one of the tips? might sound funny and smoke funny, but still keep the same look. and with this e-manage system. is the ultimate much better than the original? is it worth the 2X price tag?
Old 02-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Race,Feb 11 2008, 03:48 PM
i love the dual look though. would it be basically the same if i simply cut the Y off and ran straight to only one of the tips? might sound funny and smoke funny, but still keep the same look. and with this e-manage system. is the ultimate much better than the original? is it worth the 2X price tag?
Part of the fun in modding and tuning is trying new things, as much as people get fixated on only doing the mass acceptable same things which is silly, besides not everyone wants the same outcome or has the same goals. I'd say go for the exhaust mod, but I wouldn't exactly call it a great example of a top level tuning strategy, but it would accomplish your goal. The issue that comes to mind for me in the performance arena is pipe sizing, most dual cat backs taper into a 50mm before the mufflers and deleting one of the y's means your relying purely on one 50mm tapered side to exude all that now more pronounced back pressure. You might actually gain a little bottom end trq and response through some possible improved lower rpm scavenging, but likely would be at the sacrifice of some upper rpm power. For me and my set up it would be a step backwards, but one you might care to overlook?
Old 02-11-2008, 06:09 PM

well i have no cats. its the non catback system. or if it had cats they were taken off. and itappears to be a solid pipe sizing all the way through. ive been under the car a few times.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by S2Race,Feb 11 2008, 07:09 PM
well i have no cats. its the non catback system. or if it had cats they were taken off. and itappears to be a solid pipe sizing all the way through. ive been under the car a few times.
If it is indeed 60mm the whole way back then you might find it to work nicely. If you can smooth out the bend a bit by adding pipe to where you would be doing the modified seperation and cap off, even better.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:03 PM

i will try to get into the shop to check it out. and yes i would probly smooth out the section and cap it off. if im gonna do it im gonna do it the best it can be done. would this basically give me the same performance as the invidia? and how much power could i really gain from this?
Old 02-11-2008, 07:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If your interested in beating your boy's 350z on the track, I'd start with some nice sticky tires. Next step, change your brake fluid, grab some race brake pads and get a credit card and buy some nice coilovers.. Finally, get a good alignment.. Lost of negative camber...

I've raced three seasons with only an exhaust, suspension work, alignment and tires and have stomped my fair share of high horsepower cars.. I just hope your boy doesn't have all this stuff already.. Then you have your work cut out for you.

Good luck..
Old 02-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by S2Race,Feb 11 2008, 08:03 PM
i will try to get into the shop to check it out. and yes i would probly smooth out the section and cap it off. if im gonna do it im gonna do it the best it can be done. would this basically give me the same performance as the invidia? and how much power could i really gain from this?
If you can maintain 60mm the entire way and assume you smooth out the path as a fully independent singe. Then there is no reason why you wouldn't make the same power as a 60mm single. I'd look around and see what guys are getting from these. I think 5 to 8whp is a reasonable expectation and throughout the entire power band over stock.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:12 PM

he is in a 91 300z twin turbo. he has lots of engine stuff, and a few suspension work. also has bigger brakes and runs perelli tires. i have bfgoody g-force radials, exhaust, intake, and lots of suspension work. our lap times are almost identical, but he is just a hair faster. its the long straights where he stomps me. he just putpowers me(by over 200hp...) i want out of the turns faster and down the straights sooner. my lap times on daily radials were hardly off of a stock Z06 running slicks... i just need the power to outdo high HP cars, not the setup. my car is dialed handling wise...

you say 5-8 whp over stock... im not doubting this at all, but my question is, why does the HKS hurt power? the stock exhaust was dual. what makes a single 60mm better than a dual tip 60mm?
Old 02-11-2008, 07:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you thought of a rear wing for some rear downforce? APR, J's?? Even add a front splitter with some canards that can balance out any understeer. I know a lot of guys who run a similar setup and it has given them more grip so that they can take turns faster and get out faster as well.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:26 PM

i run a honda wing actually. dont want a front splitter or lip. it would be my luck to rip the lip off anyways... car is lowered so everyday driving can be challenging at times. again i am not worried about setups... i am planning on putting slicks on it soon for racing. once these stock wheels and tires sell im going to get some slicks which will really help times, but i still want the power...

Quick Reply: 2001 ap1 performance upgrades...? HELP