S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

2001 ap1 performance upgrades...? HELP

Old 02-07-2008, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 ap1 performance upgrades...? HELP

okay well my s2k is amazing. i love it. but compared to my friends 300z(twin turbo crazy amounts of power) its slow. im not looking to outdo him in the drag, id probly have to turbo or supercharge it. but if i could get some more power for the track so i can get up to his speeds on the straight it be amazing. id blow his doors off time wise. i currently have the AEM V2 intake and the HKS hi-power exhaust system. what else performance wise can i do? no i am not going to supercharge or turbo the car. i want NA and dont have the money to drop into that. i know gears is a big thing too, but i dont think i have the money to put $600 into the gears then mroe for the installation which probly isnt cheap is it?
Old 02-07-2008, 03:42 PM

you could try ITB's and if you got the coin get full titanium header,t/p,catback then strip your car...
but those cost alot of money...
staying N/A and wanting power is gonna cost a arm and a leg
Old 02-07-2008, 03:49 PM

man if you don't want to drop 600 on gears you might as well just keep it the way it is. Gears are one of the cheapest ways to get a N/A s2k faster. Anything else is going probably going to be more.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by CarbonYellowJ's,Feb 7 2008, 04:49 PM
man if you don't want to drop 600 on gears you might as well just keep it the way it is. Gears are one of the cheapest ways to get a N/A s2k faster. Anything else is going probably going to be more.
It cost alot more then 600 to do your gears man, time, labour, time without car as they usually need yours in trade :S
Old 02-07-2008, 05:04 PM

there's no cheap way to go faster....just less expensive ways.

if you do one mod and one only on your ap1, go with the e-manange ultimate and tune. $500ish for the unit, $100ish for the plug and play harness, then whatever for tuning...for me it was $300.

12.6hp increase, 9.7tq increase...very reliable. better than you'll get from any other n/a mod on an ap1 besides stroker kits. You have to have a good tuner though.

I'd also recommend replacing that exhaust if you want to make any power.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:07 PM

well i mean im not looking for a huge gain in power. just little bits of torque and hp. even if i only gain a few hp. and i dont have big money. so everything i do needs to be relatively inexpensive($1000 + or - a little bit). what about a header or something? and gears will come. i mean a 4.56 can take a half second off quarter, which is a good idea of how much harder it will pull on the track. but gears is one of those things that i dont have the money to drop right now, so i just save pennies till i get there. im in no big rush to get them. im currently not in the club racing around here. i dropped out for this season, but would like to get some stuff by mid fall to early winter or so
Old 02-07-2008, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by S2Race,Feb 7 2008, 06:07 PM
well i mean im not looking for a huge gain in power. just little bits of torque and hp. even if i only gain a few hp. and i dont have big money. so everything i do needs to be relatively inexpensive($1000 + or - a little bit). what about a header or something? and gears will come. i mean a 4.56 can take a half second off quarter, which is a good idea of how much harder it will pull on the track. but gears is one of those things that i dont have the money to drop right now, so i just save pennies till i get there. im in no big rush to get them. im currently not in the club racing around here. i dropped out for this season, but would like to get some stuff by mid fall to early winter or so
dude...read my post. that's your answer. and if you can get 93 octane around you, you can tune the EM-U for an addtional 7-10hp (ish).

you can change fuel maps, timing, ignition, vtec, etc...
Old 02-07-2008, 05:13 PM

yeh i was typing my last post when yours showed up and didnt see it untill after i posted... so is that e-manange thing like whatever this VAFC is? from looking around ive seen people say they tuned it for almost 22 extra whp at like 6500 rpms. the system cost like $250 with the harness and everything. i just have only heard of a few people talking about them. i want something that i know is gonna be great, even if it means spending more for the same thing in some cases...
Old 02-07-2008, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Hero,Feb 7 2008, 08:11 PM
dude...read my post. that's your answer. and if you can get 93 octane around you, you can tune the EM-U for an addtional 7-10hp (ish).

you can change fuel maps, timing, ignition, vtec, etc...
Wait........i put 93 octane in my stock 01' AP1 every fill-up. Is the S2000 tuned for 91 octane from the factory? Every gas station in my city has 93 octane.....should i get it tuned for 93?

Thanks,
Colton
Old 02-07-2008, 06:01 PM

ha...I guess I did rush you

the e-manage does similar things as the vafc, but in a much better way. and yes, you get some strong gains from it due to the fact that the ap1s run every rich up top to keep things conservative. You lean it out w/tuning, you get more power. That's the easiest way of explaining it.

Read through this thread for all the information you could ever want: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...T&f=9&t=405306

The thing to realize with the vafc is that you lose your partial throttle tuning after a weekish time; you have to keep resetting your ecu to keep the gains.

The em-u is a permanent piggyback unit that far surpasses the abilities of the vafc. now the AEM EMS is the next step up and it is a better engine management unit technically, but ( personal opinion ) is overill on a n/a engine.

Read through that thread; it'll be very helpful.

Quick Reply: 2001 ap1 performance upgrades...? HELP