S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

1.5 Way LSD VS Stock TorSen?

Old 08-31-2018, 05:19 AM

Received 210 Likes on 182 Posts
Question 1.5 Way LSD VS Stock TorSen?

What does a 1.5 way (insert brand name here) feel like compared to our stock TorSen LSD's on street and on track?
Old 08-31-2018, 03:43 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 113 Posts

Check out the Quaife LSD if you want a upgrade and not worry about LSD clutch rebuilds. I had Puddymod install one in a differential he built for me.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by jackmugen02
Check out the Quaife LSD if you want a upgrade and not worry about LSD clutch rebuilds. I had Puddymod install one in a differential he built for me.
Quaife is pretty good. Thanks for the info. How does that differential you installed differ from the stock one in terms of on road feel?
Old 09-06-2018, 10:28 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Why replace a torsen with a torsen?
Old 09-10-2018, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mugen_is_best
Why replace a torsen with a torsen?
Are 1.5 way and Torsen the same? The "way" type LSD's are clutch pack driven and Torsen is helical so the behaviour of each is unique. There must be a reason why some guys have opted to go the "way" route instead of sticking with the Torsen we have as standard. I hoped this thread would get them to share their experiences/reasons why
Old 09-11-2018, 02:30 AM

Received 451 Likes on 378 Posts

Quaife and our stock LSD use both the same gear type construction.
Torsen is actually a brand but it's also contraction for torque-sensing so I guess it's correct to call a Quaife Torsen as well
1.5 way usually refers to the clutch type LSD which works differently.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited-slip_differential
Old 09-11-2018, 11:01 AM

Received 1,460 Likes on 1,082 Posts

I'm no expert. But one thing I do know is a torsen needs tor to be able to sen. If a rear wheel lifts mid corner, like a dog marking its territory, there is no longer any engine torque being applied to that wheel for the torsen to sense.

An unfortunate side effect of how the marvel of mechanical torque sensing diffs work is that in this scenario, all engine power is routed to the wheel in the air, and car stops accelerating.

I imagine track guys would hate this.

On the street its much more difficult to generate the types of forces required to lift a rear wheel from cornering. So its way less of a deal, or no deal at all.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:17 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

I've gathered that the 1.5 clutch pack type offer very little in the way of trq feedback, which in our Torsen causes a lot of throttle on/off steer which isn't always desirable. The 1.5 can be set up to run the car very neutral, allowing you to be more aggressive on throttle out of a turn without the car wanting to oversteer and bite you in the ass. The diff is just less influential in the dynamics of the cars handling behavior.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by flanders
Quaife and our stock LSD use both the same gear type construction.
Torsen is actually a brand but it's also contraction for torque-sensing so I guess it's correct to call a Quaife Torsen as well
1.5 way usually refers to the clutch type LSD which works differently.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited-slip_differential
Good info on the Quaife
Old 09-11-2018, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
I'm no expert. But one thing I do know is a torsen needs tor to be able to sen. If a rear wheel lifts mid corner, like a dog marking its territory, there is no longer any engine torque being applied to that wheel for the torsen to sense.

An unfortunate side effect of how the marvel of mechanical torque sensing diffs work is that in this scenario, all engine power is routed to the wheel in the air, and car stops accelerating.

I imagine track guys would hate this.

On the street its much more difficult to generate the types of forces required to lift a rear wheel from cornering. So its way less of a deal, or no deal at all.
aha now this is the experience I recently had. I parked my S2000 on the grass in the 'burbs but in an awkward position. Nothing dangerous of course but, just an uneven slope. When reversing out of there I lost traction...I could feel and hear the right wheel which had less grip spinning while almost touching the grass but the left wheel was firmly on the grass yet it did not receive the most torque to get the car out of that position which is what I expected it to do. It got me out of there in a few seconds but I had to feed the clutch and throttle more than usual to balance it out. Interesting experience and one that will make me sure not to park on odd ground areas next time lol. I heard my diff working during this time and while driving off got nervous that maybe it was angry lol. All's good though

Quick Reply: 1.5 Way LSD VS Stock TorSen?