S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

06+ aftermarket steering wheel...

Old 11-02-2010, 06:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by urBan_dK,Nov 1 2010, 03:24 PM
Should be easy to figure out. Find resistance of airbag with a multimeter, find resistors of appropriate value, plug them into the right spot.
Just wanted to point out to NEVER EVER do this. Connecting a typical DMM to your airbag may trigger it if you're not using an ordnance meter.

I have an 06 (as many others here) and don't have any VSA issues. Key thing to remember is that our hub has 3 prongs/keys on the hub itself. The third notch is for the steering wheel sensor. IF that is not there, the VSA light will trip.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SH,Nov 2 2010, 09:07 PM
Just wanted to point out to NEVER EVER do this. Connecting a typical DMM to your airbag may trigger it if you're not using an ordnance meter.

I have an 06 (as many others here) and don't have any VSA issues. Key thing to remember is that our hub has 3 prongs/keys on the hub itself. The third notch is for the steering wheel sensor. IF that is not there, the VSA light will trip.
That explains A LOT!

So what aftermarket hub are you using that has these prongs there?
Old 11-02-2010, 06:55 PM

I have an HKB hub, but they're very hard to find nowadays. But whichever hub you buy, you can easily cut in another notch with a dremel. Make sure the notch is deep enough like the other two. Just compare it to your stock steering wheel when you pull it out, and duplicate.

Example below of your typical honda hub with TWO notches. This would work, but would trip the VSA light.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know my Momo hub has the 3 notches

Pulling the fuses doesn't reset the SRS, Fish. The way the circuit works, the SRS module constantly monitors for the proper resistances in the airbags/seatbelts. If at any time it registers that one of those resistances is not present/incorrect, it triggers a hard code that can only be reset through the actual reset procedure (either with the tool or with a jumper as described in the Helms). This appears to be why some people have the issue and others don't (or as in this thread - the first time the battery was pulled, so the code wasn't set by the SRS module. The second time the wheel was pulled, the SRS module registered the change in resistance.). I don't know that the battery has to be disconnected for the code to not be set, but it's a good practice to disconnect the battery when dealing with any of the SRS components.

Short and sweet: Pulling the fuse/battery doesn't reset the error code as it's not stored in eeprom (like a CEL is).
Old 11-02-2010, 07:31 PM

Always good practice to remove power from the battery and wait a minute or two before working with electronics.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:18 PM

Just call or PM evasivemotorsports, their blue Voltex S2000 is an MY06 running an aftermarket steering wheel.
I am sure they will be very helpful and have what you need too.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:40 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Neutered Sputniks,Nov 2 2010, 10:06 PM
I know my Momo hub has the 3 notches

Pulling the fuses doesn't reset the SRS, Fish. The way the circuit works, the SRS module constantly monitors for the proper resistances in the airbags/seatbelts. If at any time it registers that one of those resistances is not present/incorrect, it triggers a hard code that can only be reset through the actual reset procedure (either with the tool or with a jumper as described in the Helms). This appears to be why some people have the issue and others don't (or as in this thread - the first time the battery was pulled, so the code wasn't set by the SRS module. The second time the wheel was pulled, the SRS module registered the change in resistance.). I don't know that the battery has to be disconnected for the code to not be set, but it's a good practice to disconnect the battery when dealing with any of the SRS components.

Short and sweet: Pulling the fuse/battery doesn't reset the error code as it's not stored in eeprom (like a CEL is).
I was referring to somehow reseting the lights for the VSA system. I know the SRS system will hold the codes.

Also, from what I've seen... even with the SRS lights on due to the new wheel, you can still clear them AFTER installing resistors, without reseting the system. A friend of mine had the SRS light on due to a loose resistor. Installed it correctly, and the SRS light actually cleared itself.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by 99SH,Nov 2 2010, 07:07 PM
You do realize that it takes 1-3 amps of current in less than 2 ms for an airbag to trigger, right? Source: Wikipedia.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by FISH22,Nov 2 2010, 06:10 PM
I'm also wondering, if pulling the wheel off while the battery is still powering the car, can trigger the lights? Cause you said you pulled it off again to realign it. Did you pull power from the car before that?

I know there are some sensors around the car, that when they're disconnected(with flowing power), they'll throw a light or CEL.
Yes! If you disconnect anything related to the hub and SRS system (perhaps even the VSA system in 06+) the lights will be triggered.

You should never be messing with any of that stuff without disconnecting the battery first, anyway.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by FISH22,Nov 3 2010, 06:40 AM
Also, from what I've seen... even with the SRS lights on due to the new wheel, you can still clear them AFTER installing resistors, without reseting the system. A friend of mine had the SRS light on due to a loose resistor. Installed it correctly, and the SRS light actually cleared itself.
Fluke. The SRS Module stores these codes permanently until you perform the SRS Reset procedure.

Quick Reply: 06+ aftermarket steering wheel...