S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

06+ aftermarket steering wheel...

Old 11-02-2010, 10:44 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by svencarlson07,Nov 1 2010, 09:08 PM
if your worried about passanger airbag or light, then why would you even get a aftermarket steering wheel, so your passanger lives but you die? saftey first!
Old 11-02-2010, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aside from the SRS light...

My VSA light and the ! in a triangle is lit 24/7 after switching to an aftermarket steering wheel. Countless searches have come down to either a VSA module failure, bad connection, steering wheel angle sensor failure, or sensor failure. I mention this because people that switched steering wheels experience this the most - or so it seems from my searches. I have yet to find a resolution to this problem, but I'm moving on.

Just beware that your gauge cluster may be lit like a christmas tree if you do swap your steering wheel. Had I known this, I would've given it a second though.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by deepee,Nov 2 2010, 01:57 PM

My VSA light and the ! in a triangle is lit 24/7 after switching to an aftermarket steering wheel. Countless searches have come down to either a VSA module failure, bad connection, steering wheel angle sensor failure, or sensor failure. I mention this because people that switched steering wheels experience this the most - or so it seems from my searches. I have yet to find a resolution to this problem, but I'm moving on.

Just beware that your gauge cluster may be lit like a christmas tree if you do swap your steering wheel. Had I known this, I would've given it a second though.
Hmmm, that's really interesting! So all you did was swap the steering wheel? You didn't mess with anything else?
Old 11-02-2010, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by deepee,Nov 2 2010, 01:57 PM

I'm starting to wonder if the VSA lights come on with certain hubs. Just talked to a friend that is using the WorksBell hub, and his VSA stuff is not on.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:27 PM

As funny as it sounds, that's really all I did. Pulled the OEM out and replaced with aftermarket steering wheel. I forgot what hub this was. At first, no lights came on. However, my steering wheel was slightly misaligned. It bugged the crap out of me because I never felt like I was going straight even though I was so I pulled it out again and re-adjusted. That's when my light came on and stayed on for good. It's been month and a half already and the lights have never been off since then. There's really nothing to break, the SRS reel is still intact, the honk wire as well as ground is properly connected.

My friend had his steering wheel replaced on his VSA s2k as well, but he never experienced this. After searching on s2ki day and night, I found more 'victims' such as myself in reference to the steering wheel installation either directly or indirectly throwing off VSA and "!" lights. I hate VSA anyways so it's all good, but it's $300 to delete the light from Honda and something like 3 grand for the new module if your warranty expired. Unfortunately, you can't diagnose this issue with an OBDII as it's not an engine code. You need a VSA reader or something like that from Honda.

This is probably more information than you might have wanted, but in case someone else is lurking through in the future regarding this topic, there you have it.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:10 PM

Thanks a lot for the info. I'm just trying to run it through my head why some people have had this, and some haven't. Reason why I'm thinking certain hub brands might do it.

I'm also wondering, if pulling the wheel off while the battery is still powering the car, can trigger the lights? Cause you said you pulled it off again to realign it. Did you pull power from the car before that?

I know there are some sensors around the car, that when they're disconnected(with flowing power), they'll throw a light or CEL.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by FISH22,Nov 2 2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks a lot for the info. I'm just trying to run it through my head why some people have had this, and some haven't. Reason why I'm thinking certain hub brands might do it.

I'm also wondering, if pulling the wheel off while the battery is still powering the car, can trigger the lights? Cause you said you pulled it off again to realign it. Did you pull power from the car before that?

I know there are some sensors around the car, that when they're disconnected(with flowing power), they'll throw a light or CEL.
And you've just made a great point. The second time, my battery was not disconnected. As a matter of fact, the engine was running. I just checked the fuses and everything seems to be ok. What sensors are you referring to?? Also, would this mean that the sensors just need to be reset? Or completely gone needing replacement?
Old 11-02-2010, 05:51 PM

The sensors probably just need to be reset.

I'm not sure if the procedure for resetting the SRS module if a seatbelt is disconnected works for the steering wheel sensors - my Helms manual doesn't cover '06+.

Or, you could always do what I did...and just rip the whole SRS system out (both airbags, module, harness, seat belts, and cluster light and go full 6-pt DD )
Old 11-02-2010, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by deepee,Nov 2 2010, 08:34 PM
And you've just made a great point. The second time, my battery was not disconnected. As a matter of fact, the engine was running. I just checked the fuses and everything seems to be ok. What sensors are you referring to?? Also, would this mean that the sensors just need to be reset? Or completely gone needing replacement?
I'm not really sure, I just know that the 06+ S2000s have sensors for just about everything.

And if the battery isn't pulled, it'll most likely trigger something. Although, I'm just not sure what sensors in the steering wheel/column would trigger something like this. Have you pulled your back-up fuse since the install? It's a lot easier than disconnecting the battery, and it cuts power to the WHOLE car. Maybe that could reset it?

Btw, wing is mounted. Looks absolutely amazing.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Neutered Sputniks,Nov 2 2010, 08:51 PM
Or, you could always do what I did...and just rip the whole SRS system out (both airbags, module, harness, seat belts, and cluster light and go full 6-pt DD )

Quick Reply: 06+ aftermarket steering wheel...