S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

*Custom Bumper Scoop*

Old 09-28-2010, 02:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless I'm reading your diagram wrong, it looks like thats what you were planning?

Effectively what you want to create is that, except the aut does half the work for you (the top half anyways). Create a more efficient guide into the hump and you should be in business. I can't see the gains being big by any means, but it definitely would increase efficiency. It couldn't hurt by any means to also create a guide from the fender area as some intake does infact come from there, and minimizing hot air intake from there would be beneficial as well.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you buy a snorkle if you had an AUT cooling plate?
Old 09-28-2010, 03:17 PM

He's not buying a snorkel. I'm not suggesting him to either. We're talking about him creating, essentially what is a full snorkel, using what the AUT already has. (the top hump guide). It can't hurt to have a physical lower guide to focus air flow into the hump. It can only smoothen out and increase the speed at which the air is delivered to the intake.

I was simply using that picture as a reference.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, now you understand my concept. Basically half "snorkel" half AUT.

I plan on running the FIPK for the intake as of right now because i hear good things from many people about it. But i will infact "improve" the "shield" they offer with the FIPK intake. I think it could be sealed off a whole lot better than it is. While making a totaly sealed box (when the hood is down) i could run in another tube from the fender as well to get a little more air.

Ik all this work might seem rediculous for a lot of you but i enjoy spending time on things i can actually call somewhat my own idea.

Hopefully i can have this part made at work by friday. Even though i do not own the intake or AUT panel at the moment. A few more weeks and ill be able to afford it and really document the step by step process.

Thanks for the comments keep the ideas and thoughts comming!
Old 09-28-2010, 03:51 PM

Im hoping after i create the sealed box around the K&N i will not experience heat soak. I still have a stock box and i get major bogging when taking off at lower rpms (normal street driving) I can't see the origional FIPK seal doing much for heat soak when sitting still..
Old 09-28-2010, 03:51 PM

An AUT plate is one of my next mods, and subsequently I've thought about how to do exactly what you're doing: Turning the AUT hump into a full guide.

Definitely interested to see what you come up with.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love my FIPK and AUT plate combo. 4th gear deffinently feels great.

If you get a good design, would you consider making a few extra to sell?
Old 09-28-2010, 04:32 PM

The other option of course is to just buy a really cheap ebay snorkel, regardless if it has fitment issues or not, and just trim away at it

But I'm all down for some DIY and see'ing what you come up with
Old 09-28-2010, 05:22 PM

H22,

Well usually i do a small project every once in a while. Usually its small enough where my company doesn't mind making it for free. This would be a fairly simple part as well. I have the finished scoop print on my comp at work , just needs to get lasered out bent and rolled. Then hopefully it will be fairly simple bolting it on the car. (lunch break)

Making extras at work would be pushing it unless i wanted to pay $100 dollars an hour labor and a small cut for material.

Although i might just ask for the material and shape it myself as its a very simple desing. It would take me longer and prolly not look as pretty sense i usually only work with my finger tips But for the car i can always make an acception. If i could easily produce these at home and make some kind of profit i might consider selling some.

Whiteflash,

Buying a cheap snorkel might not be a bad idea. It would probably have better gains than my method of maddness. But i am on a tight budget.

The bumper scoop will be free and the cheapest AUT panel i found was for $160 shipped on ebay. I wouldnt mind waiting for a used one for cheap...

I tried looking for a cheap snorkel on ebay but was unsuccesful how much do they go for?
Old 09-28-2010, 08:26 PM

Well i found the "air ducts" (better known as snorkels) on Ebay. The cheapest one goes for $110 shipped which is pretty cheap. It looks like they are only for the AP1's. There is a support bar behined all the AP2 bumpers that have to be moved for this to fit properly i guess. And i think the hood has clearance issues as well so either you cut the hood or the snorkel.

I'm not sure how much more efficient the full blown snorkel approach would be v.s. my simple scoop design. I think if i were to end up buying this and making it fit i would also like to get a cooling plate anyhow to clean up the engine bay.

I guess when you look at the big picture the performance differences would be so small this post really isn't worth it but i just tend to think things through ALL THE WAY.

So i think im still going with the price route... The AUT looks wonderful IMO so ill stick with trying to find a good deal on one and continue the FREE simple scoop design. Unless i can find a made cheap snorkel some wheres..

Quick Reply: *Custom Bumper Scoop*