S2000 Meets and Events Post and plan your meets and events here. This is the place to find out what is going on in your area.

Track Day @ GingerMan Raceway

Old 04-12-2002, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are open face helmets ok as long as they are SA2000 rated? (a friend at work told me that on convertibles, they require closed face helmets) Hopefully this is not true as I ordered an open face one....
Old 04-12-2002, 12:16 PM

The SpeedTrial website and Gingerman mention nothing about this requirement. That sucks. Anyone know where I can buy an acceptable helmet locally (or on the way to South Haven)? I live in Gurnee, IL. Otherwise, looks like I'll have to wait for the next event.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hecash
[B]JohnE,

Unfortunately, your information is correct.
Old 04-12-2002, 12:46 PM

Hey JohnE
Man I wish I would of read this sooner. I am bringing both an open face and a closed helmet. I have used my open face at gingerman the last few times. including with speed trial last year. And it was ok. But rules may have changed, but its not an actual race, so it should be ok. I have a spare closed face but its at home. call my cell since I am about to leave now 4:00 for the drive south and over. Staying fri at guest house. But I am going through Chicago and meeting Greg, he may have a spare too.

Cell is 920-428-9502

Otherwise they do have helmets there. At the track.

Aquatic
Keith
Old 04-13-2002, 05:59 PM

What a great day that was! It was great to meet you all and share some hot laps

Thanks to Speedtrial for putting on a the event. After some rough spots in the morning, things were going pretty good by the afternoon. It was nice to get so much track time in!!

Some feedback to SpeedTrial:
- A little more organization and communication in the morning would have helped
- The instructors didn't seem to be readily available to the intermediate group
- You need to schedule more events
- I felt the price was a little bit on the high side (compared to other car-club type track-days as well as commercial track-days.)

Cheers,
Keith
Old 04-14-2002, 01:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Apex76A2
- I felt the price was a little bit on the high side (compared to other car-club type track-days as well as commercial track-days.)
Cheers,
Keith
I agree that the instructors didn't seem available to the intermediate group. One of the main questions I had before the event was if there would be easy access to instructors. I was told yes there would be, but in fact there was a shortage of instructors, and they barely could cover the beginner group. Luckily Nick Wong agreed to drive my car for a couple laps to help me out, then I was on my own for the rest of the day. It would have been nice to have an instructor to show me what I was doing wrong.

The price seemed fair considering what you get, but the CGI schools do offer a significant amount more track time for only $20 extra. Something to think about.

All in all it was great to finally meet all of you. My NSX and I limped home with the fryed brakes, and my friend Woody made it home with the "boostless" WRX. I hope to see you all again soon!

P.S.--Any of you out there who didn't go, YOU MISSED OUT!!
Old 04-14-2002, 02:32 PM

Fryed Brakes We should have mentioned that to people asking what to bring to the event. I learned after my first track event ...

NEVER go to a track event with out a spare set of brake pads to get you home.

I always bring my street pads along just in case I wear out my track pads that day...

(My original error cost me a set of rotors, as I had to drive home 50 miles from Waterford, through Detroit rush hour traffic, with nothing but metal on metal for brakes!!!) Screeeeeeeeeeeeech !

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Meeyatch1
[B]

All in all it was great to finally meet all of you. My NSX and I limped home with the fryed brakes, and my friend Woody made it home with the "boostless" WRX. I hope to see you all again soon!
Old 04-20-2002, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by Apex76A2
Keith and Mitch, thank you for the kind words and most of all the feedback. Feedback, whether it be good or bad will help me to improve our events in the future.

- The morning was crazy because we had a ton of people show up and register at the event. I have already made provisions to make sure that no matter how many people show up next time, we will be set to go and even know the correct location of the drivers meeting!

- Our Head Instructor, which was introduced at the drivers meeting, would have been the one to ask, however, as I stated in the drivers meeting, "If anybody has any questions, or needs anything, please see any of us that have a SpeedTrialUSA necklace." The instructors were available since the Intermediate run group and the Beginner group ran at different times. Also, at our next events, each instructor will have a credential tag so they are easier to identify.

- We want to schedule more days, but in all reality, we need a stronger showing at the events we have now. So tell all of your friends about us and lets push for more events and more tracks.

- We feel that the price is very fare. SpeedTrialUSA is one of the only national schools in the Midwest that is not partial to any type or brand of car. Also, this price includes your tech inspection and instruction for all levels of driver. This is an instructional track day, not a commercial track day, so naturally the price is higher because a greater service is rendered.

We appreciate the continued support from the S2000 community toward our events. SpeedTrialUSA will do everything possible to return the favor through hosting the best instructional track days in the Midwest.

Race-on,
Brian.
Old 04-21-2002, 05:49 AM
Banned

I will come to more events if you get weekend dates.

I just can't do the weekday thing - not enough vacation time.

I had a great time and had an excellent instructor for my first time at G-man. I got down to :45's by the end of the day and I wasn't even using 2nd gear anywhere on the track. I know where I can pick up probably 2-3 seconds by being more aggressive but is it really worth it to totally beat the crap out of the car?

It might be time for a dedicated track car so I can really crank out some fast laps.....
Old 04-21-2002, 08:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mugen2000
[B]- Our Head Instructor, which was introduced at the drivers meeting, would have been the one to ask, however, as I stated in the drivers meeting, "If anybody has any questions, or needs anything, please see any of us that have a SpeedTrialUSA necklace."
Old 04-22-2002, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy $&%@ Brad, did you actually drive YOUR car at Gingerman? Hehe, having never seen your S2000 I was beginning to believe it was all just a myth.

Clark.....keeping my eyes peeled for you in something other than an Integra or Mustang convertible

Quick Reply: Track Day @ GingerMan Raceway